OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
What is the date range canister shots were used?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Garabaldi

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
hammered said:
Garabaldi said:
What is the date rang canister shots were used?

This link might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canister_shot :icon_thumleft:.

hammered
Monty said:
Ooops! Canister shot was made of iron. Monty
If you click on the link Monty the description of canister shot were also made of lead. :icon_scratch:
Description

"Canister shot consists of a closed cylindrical metal canister typically filled with round lead or iron balls, normally packed with sawdust to add more solidity to the mass and to prevent the balls from crowding each other when the round was fired. At times when the supply of balls was limited, nails, scrap iron or lead, wire, and other similar metal objects were included. The canister itself was usually made of tin, often dipped in a lacquer of beeswax diluted with turpentine to prevent corrosion of the metal. Iron was substituted for tin for larger-caliber guns. The ends of the canister were closed with wooden or metal disks. Attached to the back of the metal canister was a cloth cartridge bag, which contained the round's gunpowder charge which was used to fire the canister from the gun barrel. A sabot of wood, metal, or similar material was used to help guide the round during firing from the cannon. Various types of canister were devised for specific models of artillery field pieces."

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be part of a load of canister. JMHO

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I was of the impression that canister shot was iron, and that cased shot was of iron, lead and even salvaged minie balls and other projectiles. Canister projectiles were just that, shaped like a can with the balls stacked neatly inside and spread much like a shotgun shell when fired. Cased shot was a spherical hollow artillery shell that would explode in the air and spread it's contents as well as iron shrapnel from the projectile itself. But perhaps I was wrong? I can understand that the CSA would improvise out of necessity also. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread