What's new

Minor complaint

k0bgalan

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
273
Reaction score
834
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
All Garrett: Ace 250 (two), AceApex, VX-9. Have owned just about every Garrett ever made. First three detecter I made myself, with the first one in 1962.
I keep hearing YouTube videographers referring to metal detectors as machines. That description is incorrect, as there are no moving parts save for electronics moving about. The correct term is instrument. And, considering the complexity of the circuitry, they're certainly professional instruments!
 
I keep hearing YouTube videographers referring to metal detectors as machines. That description is incorrect, as there are no moving parts save for electronics moving about. The correct term is instrument. And, considering the complexity of the circuitry, they're certainly professional instruments!
I like to refer my machine's name by its proper pronoun. THE DETECTOR ❤️:laughing7:
 
And I'll keep calling tissue paper --Kleenex.
Don in SoCal
I read an article about this not too long ago. It’s called “genericization”, where a brand has become so well known for a product the name is used for other brands of the same type of product.

Kleenex, Velcro, Bandaid, and Jacuzzi are some examples.
 
Well that leaves me out.
I'm in that group as well. Ever since I stuck my little 3 year old fingers in a very sharp old reel type mower. I don't hesitate to use a skill saw, but I avoided those mowers ever since. I think it might have been due to heredity, my grandfather lost 5 in a punch press.
And I agree, that is a minor complaint.
 
I read an article about this not too long ago. It’s called “genericization”, where a brand has become so well known for a product the name is used for other brands of the same type of product.

Kleenex, Velcro, Bandaid, and Jacuzzi are some examples.
"Zerox me a copy"
Don in SoCal
 
I read an article about this not too long ago. It’s called “genericization”, where a brand has become so well known for a product the name is used for other brands of the same type of product.

Kleenex, Velcro, Bandaid, and Jacuzzi are some examples.
Unlike standard cultural traditions, genericization carries major legal consequences.
If a brand name becomes completely generic, the company can lose its trademark rights. This is called genericide.
Lost Trademarks: Brands like Escalator, Thermos, Dry Ice, and Heroin were once registered trademarks that companies lost because they became the generic terms.
 
Unlike standard cultural traditions, genericization carries major legal consequences.
If a brand name becomes completely generic, the company can lose its trademark rights. This is called genericide.
Lost Trademarks: Brands like Escalator, Thermos, Dry Ice, and Heroin were once registered trademarks that companies lost because they became the generic terms.

 
Reminds me of a conversation I had with the secretary at a machine shop I was working at in the 1980's. I was the shipper/receiver and ran out of tape. I asked her for a roll of transparent tape and she had no clue what I wanted! I then said Scotch tape and she finally got it. She wasn't the brightest bulb...
 
A lot of the answers here sure brings back a lot of memories. Thanks all
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom