What's new

Mint mark origin of Spanish 1 reale?

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
2,010
Reaction score
3,978
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to know where this coin I dug at a colonial site was minted.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0935.webp
    IMG_0935.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_0936.webp
    IMG_0936.webp
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_0932.webp
    IMG_0932.webp
    126.3 KB · Views: 829
The M with a little o on top is Mexico City, Spanish colonial Mexico.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you! I had never noticed the mint mark before people on this forum mentioned it. Mexico to Eastern Canada!
 
Upvote 0
very nice pictures!!!
 
Upvote 0
AcadienLoyalistMarco said:
Thank you! I had never noticed the mint mark before people on this forum mentioned it. Mexico to Eastern Canada!
Spanish silver was used throughout the world including China.

This link explains the mint and assayer marks. http://scoan.oldnote.org/types.html
 

Attachments

  • spanish reale mint and assayer.webp
    spanish reale mint and assayer.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,208
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom