What's new

mint wrapped state quarters

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last monday was my first day at a new job. Due to what I expect will be the time requirements of my new job, I probably won't have quite as much time for CRHing (we'll have to see). But I do now have a longer commute and a whole slew of new banks that I drive by that I have never stopped at before both for cashing in as well as buying.

Well today I decided to stop at one bank over lunch. Apparently, judging by the teller's comments there is competition afoot in the area (no surprise). Well as I was talking to the teller while another teller was checking for halves in the vault for me, I asked if she had anything else strange that anyone turned in. At first she didn't think of it, but then she pulls up a roll of mint wrapped state quarters. "I'll take it!" Turns out she had 18 rolls of them.

17 Denver (NH, VA, NY, NC, RI, VT, TN, OH, LA, IN, MS, AL, ME, MO, AR, WI, MN)

1 Philadelphia (WI)

And the teller next to her had a couple of old bills

1 - 1950A $5 bill from Minneapolis
1 - 1934B $20 bill from Minneapolis

Here's a pic.
 

Attachments

  • 10-29-2007.webp
    10-29-2007.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
Sweet finds on the bills! I love finding old bills. I've found a few old ones but nothing that old. Happy Hunting.
 
are any of the older bills worth much?

Ive Found a few 50's 10 dollar bills
100 dollar 1934
50's 20 bill.
Tons of star notes...


Sweet Finds gman I bet you could make a decent amount on ebay with those.
But would probley be worth saving.

Happy hunting,
CC
 
coincollector101 said:
are any of the older bills worth much?

Ive Found a few 50's 10 dollar bills
100 dollar 1934
50's 20 bill.
Tons of star notes...


Sweet Finds gman I bet you could make a decent amount on ebay with those.
But would probley be worth saving.

Happy hunting,
CC

Regarding the older bills, as far as I know most are not worth much. From my glances at the currency price guides, the only one I recall being worth anything that is recent was a 1976 $2 Star note from the Minneapolis Fed District (I). If I remember right it was worth $200 or more in great shape. For the most part, I just like having them around 'cause I think they are cool. That and last year I started collecting them (though in a limited fashion). My ideal collection is one from each federal reserve district for each series for both the regular issue and the star notes.

Biggest problem is beyond 1's and 2's it gets expensive real fast and that's only doing the small sized bills that you can still find in circulation.

From my collection tracking spreadsheet for United States notes, Silver Certificates, and Federal Reserve Notes (regular and star notes).

$1 bills desired = 509 ($509)
$2 bills desired = 80 ($160)
$5 bills desired = 743 ($3715)
$10 bills desired = 741 ($7410)
$20 bills desired = 722 ($14440)
$50 bills desired = 562 ($28100)
$100 bills desired = 597 ($59700)

And I know my collection sheet has holes in it so there would be more for my complete collection. As it is, above is over $100,000 face and that doesn't include the larger bills that no longer circulate like $500 and $1000.

As most of the bills I have found aren't in the greatest of shape I am probably losing money by holding on to them.


My favorite web site for info on US currency is http://www.uspapermoney.info No price guide, but lots of information about how many were printed for each series and which Fed district, etc.
 
I've got some old bills too if you want 'em... they have to be paid in the next couple days or I'll get my electricity turned off! ;D

Just kidding!

Great finds
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom