poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following story Is my wife's Great,Great Uncle. I will type it as it is written in this letter. I may have to break it up into several post, Enjoy it as much as I do every time I read it!

Forty Mile, Yukon, Brittish Columbia, October 20, 1894. I will write to you all in one letter for every letter that goes out of this country in the winter costs the sender from one to three dollars. Uncle Sam does not deliver mail here yet. Letters that are sent here sometimes do not cost anything if some one is coming, but generally cost fifty cents. It will take $1,000 to hire a man to make a trip from here to Juno this winter and what it will cost a letter I do not know till the minders hold a meeting. But I will send two or three any way.

There were two men started from here with mail two years ago and one froze to death and the other died soon after reaching Dia Inlet. They had to go with dog teams. We are well and safe in Forty Mile in a good log house with double doors and windows and the cracks stopped with moss. It is warmer than any brick, plastered house I ever saw. We came from Juno to Dia Inlet in five days and nights. We came on a sailing sloop; we stayed at Wilson's trading post two days and nights. It was raining and he could not get the Indians to cross the mountains. We paid them 14 cents. a pound for carrying. They carried us across the rivers for 25 cents apiece and waded in water waist deep cold as ice. We were five days crossing the divide. Some of the Indians carried 150 lbs; most of them carried 100 lbs. I carried 75 lbs. and that was all I wanted. Alma carried her valise which weighed 20 lbs. It was snowing and freezing and we had to catch hold of peaks of rocks and little crevices--anything to get a hold to climb up. There were miles of solid ice and snow that never melt. There were five in our party and one man brought a canary bird and a bull dog. The canary bird froze to death on top of the divide but the bull dog made the trip.

You may be sure we were glad when we reached Lake Linderman. There was a party there building boats to come to Forty Mile. There were two men with
their wives but we did not have to stay there to build our boat, we brought one and started over the lakes the next morning. We had been here just two days when the ice commenced running in the river and in four more days the river was frozen solid. There was one man and a wife got within five miles of here and it froze there boat up, but the walked in all right. We dont know where the other party are. If they did not stop at Sixty Mile Post they will probably see pretty hard times before spring. After we crossed the divide we had fine weather, no rain but cold. We had a fine time, plenty to eat and a good appetite. We broke camp at 8 o'clock in the morning and pull in at 5 o'clock in the evening. We were blessed with plenty of dry wood and plenty of water. Alma got her eyes pretty badly smoked cooking over the camp fire.

We cut hemlock boughs and throwed them on the ground for beds and we slept well except two nights we had to sleep on the sand. I waded in the ice cold water, had wet feet all day and never caught the least bit of cold. We all enjoyed the trip very much and we made the best time that has ever been made. We made the whole trip in 29 days. We had some hard wind on the lakes and the river is very swift and we pulled hard on the oars; that was all that kept us from getting froze in. The river always commenced freezing from the bottom and freezes not knowing how deep. Well I will tell you a little about Forty Mile and Fort Cudaly. One is on one side of the river and the other is on the other side. They are both in Brittish Columbia. The saloons, gambling houses and dance halls are all on Forty Mile. There are 5 white women who live next to us and there are about 5 more in the country. We stopped at Harper's Trading Post as we came in; Alma bought a pair of woolen hose which she gave $2.00 for. The Storekeeper gave her a pair of moccasins and about 10 lbs. of moose meat, and several other things. He said she was the first white woman who ever traded in his store.

There have been two or three men gone from here this summer with from thirty to fifty thousand dollars and there are lots of men come in from their claims with ten thousand dollars and blow in every cent of it in the summer. They pay ten or twelve dollars per day in the winter and six to eight in the summer, not much work done in winter. Some men only make from $500 to $1,000 in the season--just enough to grub stake them. There was one nugget taken out here which had five hundred and ten dollars in it; we saw two nuggets, one two hundred and fifty and one fifty dollars.

I have more to come, Gotta wait til storm passes. stay tuned for part 2.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends, Settle in Part2 is here for your enjoyment. This letter is Great Great Uncle writing to family at home.

The Trip from West Virginia has cost me between eight and nine hundred dollars.

There are men here that will have to live on 100 lbs. of flour till July.

There was a steamer loaded with provisions for here that got within 300 miles when the ice began floating and had to go back, but nobody will go hungry.

I got a little more than my share because I had a white woman to support.

The most of the white men are living with Indian women and when their grub gets scarce the storekeepers tell the squaws to live on the resources of the country.

This is the bill I have got to do me a year in the house. But I can get more in July. Following is my bill:

600 Lbs. of flour, $48.00; 100 lbs. bacon, $35.00; 24 cans peaches, $10.00; 24 lbs. of salt, $3.60; 100 lbs. tea, $15.00; 12 cans milk, $10.00; 6 cans sausage, $3.00; 24 lbs. dried potatoes, $6.00; 4 lbs. soda, $4.00; 24 candles, $ 1.00; 1 broom, $ 1.75; 1 box macaroni, $3.00; 100 lbs. sugar, $20.00; 60 lbs. beans, $ 7.20; 24 cans plums, $ 12.00; 2 lbs. pepper, $ 2.00; 14 lbs. coffee, $10.50; 10 lbs. lard, $ 3.00; 6 cans tongue, $ 4.50; 5 lbs. baking powder, $5.00; 20 rolls of butter, $ 20.00; 1 box soap, $ 2.00; 24 cans tomatoes, $ 8.00; 15 lbs. dry apples, $ 4.60.

We cook on a little sheet iron stove that weights 35 pounds and cost $35.00.

We had about 200 pounds of meat with us, and if I cannot kill a moose or a caribou I will have to buy a quarter If I can get it. Meat will be not less than 50 cents per lb. There are no cattle in this country. There were two horses here but one broke through the ice and died.

We have to make our own clothes out of heavy blankets and then wear furs on the outside of that. The thermometer was 70 degrees below freezing last winter, but it does not seem so cold, it is so dry. There is ice three feet thick here now.

I do not advise anyone to come here although I would not take $5000 and leave the country but I may not make anything.

It is a hard way to get here, lots of dangerous places to go through in the river; places were your boats bob up and down like an egg shell on the water. There are lots of men here who make $100 a day, but the seasons are very short and everything has been very high but are quite reasonable now, flour used to be $ 14.00 per hundred and everything in proportion.

part 3 next............

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok poor hunter fantastic , wonderful, now 'that' is true treasure hunting adventure. Sheesh I can't imagine 70 below. Not being crude, but just imagine having to go to the bathroom in the bush in that kind of weather, bad enough for the guys, but the gals? brrrrrr.

I have been told that at that temperature when you spit it, tinkles when it hits the ground, as for the other liquid ----.

Here the only problem is that you lay out a glorified version of a skeeter smorgesborg each time with plenty of guests ad free loaders..

Another thing about those conditions Poor guy, is that wages were about $20 - 30 a month down south in the states.

Wonderful posts my friend.

Don Jose de La Mancha

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Bathroom break. Here is the final part..........

November 26, 1894,--Well, it has been one month since I have written any so I think I will finish my letter. We are now in the Yukon gold fields. I am 60 miles from Forty Mile where I wrote the first of this letter.

Alma and I made the trip in 8 days. We brought about 300 lbs, of provision on a little hand sled and we had one dog to help pull it. Two days that we were on the road it was 40 degrees below freezing. There was one man froze his lip but he came through all right. We have a good comfortable house to live in. I had 1200 lbs. of provision brought up besides what I hauled. I had to pay $10 per hundred in the winter and $30 if I have any freight brought in the summer. They have to pack it in the summer. You can add 10 cents to every pound of my bill and you can know about what it costs to live here.

I paid $ 6.00 for a pick, $ 2.50 for a shovel, $ 12.00 for a pair of rubber boots. I have commenced prospecting for gold and have sunk two holes to bedrock, I got some gold but not enough to open the claim. I will put my time in prospecting this winter when it is not too cold. I wear four pairs of socks, two pairs of heavy blanket socks, one pair of heavy toboggan socks, and they have a boot the Indians make called Metlocks. They are made of caribou skin with the hair on. The way I prospect is to build a fire and thaw the ground; you can go down about 14 inches a day. It is daylight at 9 o'clock and dark at 3. We will make up for that next summer when we have but one hour dark.

If I do not strike anything here that pays me, I can go work at $10.00 per day. I can work at that for about four months of the year. That is as long as we can mine here. I will try and write you a few lines next summer. I am looking for some letters from home next July--that is as soon as the man will get back from Juno with the mail. When we leave this country we will go by steamer; it takes two months to come in that way. I hope this will find you all well. Alma is writing to her mother. I hope mother enjoys her rocking chair. I suppose when I hear from home Charley and Clem will be married. Joy be with them.
Give our love to all inquiring friends. Goodbye for this time.
Lee and Alma

Uncle Lee returned home and built a home in 1908.

Hope Yall Enjoyed this.
Poorhunter

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Is that Uncle Lee Arnett , Poorhunter ?
If so , we have an engraved silver cup he brought to my grandfather , who was his namesake . He also gave sled dogs to several family members .
Fairmont (WV) Times has some of his letters they published in their archives .
Jim

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an old Spanish cemetery one mile from where I grew up. It has been under swamp for the last 40 years .Back in the 50s my father squirrel hunted there . The story goes that back in the 30s during the depression a man found a chest of Spanish silver in the grave yard. They were poor fisherman and the next thing you know they had a new fishing boat and bought up a bunch of property.
They never paid taxes on it and would not admit to finding the money. When I was a kid the mans wife was still alive and worked in a family store they had. My father said never ask that lady about the treasure because she will turn white and gasp. She was worried about the taxes they never paid.
There was a huge oak tree that had markings pointing to the treasure .I have been to that old tree but could never make out the marks but the old timers said it used to be real visible.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
Is that Uncle Lee Arnett , Poorhunter ?
If so , we have an engraved silver cup he brought to my grandfather , who was his namesake . He also gave sled dogs to several family members .
Fairmont (WV) Times has some of his letters they published in their archives .
Jim
Yes Jim, Mrs. Poorhunter just said " That is on the Arnett side of the family."
I am gonna research and locate, To find out of more letters that were written. I Hope everyone enjoys this.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My sister has copies of some of his letters in the geaneology files my mother started . Don't know if we have any of the originals . He was quite the celebrity , back in the day .
Jim

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
My sister has copies of some of his letters in the geaneology files my mother started . Don't know if we have any of the originals . He was quite the celebrity , back in the day .
Jim
It took me most of yesterday to track down this copy! I would like to locate more to share with our friends!
Just goes to show how easy we have it nowadays. Lee was the great-great uncle of my wife, That was what really inspired me. And to find out he was your great Uncle! What a small world it is sometimes Aye!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My paternal great grandmother was Prudence Arnett Valentine . My cousin has pictures of his grandfather's store , hotel , and livery stable at McCurdeysville . Store receipts reflect how tough times were . Once a week he shipped produce , meat ,and wild game to Baltimore brokers via rail
from Fairmont .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
An old woman lived with a family just up the road from us when I was a kid . I visited there often
to play with the neighbor kids . In the evening time , if she'd had a nip or two , she would tell us stories of her days in the rough mountains of central WV .
My favorite was of her time as a hired girl for a wealthy family in an area where most folks were very poor . The patriarch was a randy old bird who once gave her a gold double eagle to put his hand under her skirt . She kept it on a thong around her neck and would show it to us . Her buryin
money , she called it .
A young boy brought word one evening that a group of rough men were coming that night with the intent of robbing them .
The old man went out at dusk dark with an Arbuckle coffee can of double eagles and was gone about 45 minutes .
Later the men came and a short firefight ensued before they were driven off . The excitement proved too much for the old man and he dropped dead from a heart attack .
No one ever located where he hid the coins .
As coincidence would have it , years later I married a girl from the same general area . My father in law knew the old lady and confirmed her story . The homesite lay some miles from his place in what was now trackless forest land .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I took a weeks vacation and hauled two horses I was breaking to my fil's .Rode miles of forest land from dawn to dusk in search of the place .
Riding down a game path in the silent forest one morning a sound stopped me dead in my tracks .
It was the unmistakable double shuck of a winchester behind me . Hands in the air , I began answering the questions of who was I , what was my business there , who was I staying with . The
wind shifted while I gave my answers and I caught the unmistakable odor of mash fermenting .
I was in deep do do cause I'd ridden up on a whiskey still . Poor etiquette on my part .
Luckily the man and my fil were friends . Instead of becoming shot I was invited to have a drink .
The cold blue eyes in that old man's face left me with no doubt that I had been very close to meeting my maker .
After a few drinks of tolerable whiskey and an admonishment to not talk about the still the old man told me how to find the homesite . He also confirmed the story of the can of double eagles .
I made several trips in there over the next few years searching . Made fast friends with the old man when I packed in a couple loads of sugar and corn for him .

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..SOOOOOOOOOOOOO trucker yer a bootlegger eh? always suspected that there was something odd about you hehheeheh will post a story about that here in Mexico shortly, just for you .. I had forgotten about it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Don Jose de La Mancha

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO trucker yer a bootlegger eh? always suspected that there was something odd about you hehheeheh will post a story about that here in Mexico shortly, just for you ..

Don Jose de La Mancha
My friend ,
My bootlegger roots go way back . Maternal grandfather was a Republican storekeeper in Democrat
Carroll County , VA . Never sold sugar and mason jars to a Republican back when those purchases had to be registered for the revenuers . (He signed it all out to Democrats .) All my Mom's brothers
'worked for the state' for a time over blockade whiskey . I've made and hauled , myself .
I instantly knew the precarious position I was in when that winchester levergun cycled . Sittin in the middle of a greenbroke horse with a ready rifle directly behind me was no place for me to try my fast
draw with the .357 mag Ruger I was carrying . It was 'pucker and negotiate' time .

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp you have had a very interesting and exciting life. Do you have any memory's of WW2 that you could share? Ever thought of writing a book? I would buy it.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had just Unloaded the 10' jon boat dad borrowed on the bank of the river. (On this trip were Poorhunter, Dad, Brother, And Clumsy terrified of snakes Tracy- same guy in above story.) We had to slide this boat down a bank, At least 20-25ft to the edge of the river. It was very steep. The boat was set into the edge of the river, And us "Boys" to dad, carried all the gear down to load it into the boat for our trip across the river. While my brother hooked the trolling motor to the back of the boat, We made sure the truck was locked and we had everything needed. My brother had the motor hooked up and tested it, We were ready to go. Tracy grabs his hands full Tackle box, fishing poles, Bait bucket. Now dad tells him BOY when you step in the edge of the boat stoop down so you can balance yourself, What does he do. steps in the Boat, Trips on the seat and goes right over the side face first into the river. We were laughing so hard it took a minute to get him relief. Man if you were there you would be wizzing down yer leg laughing. After we got him regained to the bank we got the gear loaded back up, Only lost half our bait from the bucket, and went fishing.
I think back on it alot of times. I think Dad took him along with us alot just for instances like these I have told. This man is now around 40 years old and still as clumsy as then.
More to come:If you want.......Poorhunter78

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola poor hunter, you posted --> More to come:If you want.......Poorhunter78

You are kidding no? post away or I will practice my voodo on your effigy. (pins in you know where snicker)

Don Jose de La Mancha

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOOuch, OOOhhhh, OOOuch, Ok My friend! Here you go.
This is a tune from where the last one left off, Poorhunter, Dad, same brother and a different family friend, Dave. Many years before the other story.

We had put the boat in the river, Yes same steep bank and all. We would beach the jonny about 1/4 mile upstream from the lock&dam. Then carry all our gear down to the dam and fish off the cement wall below. All 4 of us got to our honeyhole and unloaded our gear, The thunder began a cracking, lightning, Then Yes the skies opened up on us. It started easy then really opened up, Raining so hard yuh could barely see across the river to the other bank. We scurried up across the RR tracks to seek shelter in the bush. It didn't let up for at least 30-45 minutes, I thought we would never get a line in the water. After it finally let up, What seemed like an Eternity. The sun slowly poked out and the storm passed us. We bagan catching fish, ( like fishin at a hatchery) Stripe bass, Drum, Walleye, Longnose gar, Then as the dark set in we started catching Flathead catfish, Channel cat's. As the night drug on the fishing slowed around 11:30pm Dad said " Lets get outta here BOY'S". So we packed up our gear, Dad and I had to drag the stringer I think we had 13-14 catfiish. Weighing bout 40-50 lb a real lug for a 1/4 mile walk carrying all the gear you can grasp in your hands. While dad and I walked way behind Brother and Dave were I'll say 150 yards ahead. We heard them hollerin and talkin, Then we here this loud "PLUNK". as dad and I made it to the landing spot here is my brother with his 9' saltwater rod reeling in our boat. He was lucky to snag it. The storm raised the river enuff that the boat floated out towards the middle of the river. Dad said "Boy I'm glad we left when we did, If we had stayed a little while longer that damn boat would have came over the spillway. Then we would have all been FK'd." Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied.

This spot we fished, you had to go above the lock & dam. Put the boat in, go across the river then walk down below the dam to fish. The 1st gate (lock) was a spillway, then 5 gates or (locks) in between and a spillway on the other side of the dam. But it was fenced in, No access on that side. Unless you would go several hundred yards below to fish off the bank at the waters edge.
This dam is about a 10 mile drive from the main county road, Used to be the only route in, Unless by motor boat.
Poorhunter
Truckin can you guess by the description Which Lock & dam this is?

OP
OP
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good one poor guy, you were very lucky. but I noticed that we weren't invited to a fish fry??? Shall I insert that pin guys?

Hmmm you mentioned -->Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied. lousy landlubber, snicker, frankly you were durn lucky my friend.

You never mentioned what you were using for bait?

what was the biggest one?

Don Jose de La Macnha the eternally hungry one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread