What's new

Misc tools and rough ax from yesterday

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
Found all this on my last hunt of the year. Rough ax was found before I even got outta the yak. It has a lot of hammer damage on one end. It was flaked to a bit and then pecked down but looks like it was unfinished or they just used it how it was. A nice Mano with finger spots all the way around it with a lot of use. Also was wondering what you guys thought about the rock with the hole in it. Goefact or artifact? Some broke knives and some pottery.
 

Attachments

  • image-1319686690.webp
    image-1319686690.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 148
  • image-1130702338.webp
    image-1130702338.webp
    30 KB · Views: 115
  • image-648743726.webp
    image-648743726.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image-885960320.webp
    image-885960320.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3978519001.webp
    image-3978519001.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-1721100945.webp
    image-1721100945.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3650438717.webp
    image-3650438717.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image-692646933.webp
    image-692646933.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 136
  • image-476109890.webp
    image-476109890.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3802324710.webp
    image-3802324710.webp
    37.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1438354443.webp
    image-1438354443.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
perhaps an artifact for grinding paint pigments, but my vote is artifact especially if found in conjunction with other artifacts, then even if it's a geofact they may have been taking advantage of something done for them.
 
Pic #4 looks like there is a square ax in the mix. Is that the ax you were talking about? The last one looks more like a Chisel.
 
I've got a few like this and I've always called em axes. I've only seen two chisels from here and they were as long but not nearly as wide. Almost like a tube with a little bit maybe two inches wide. I'm no expert though. The little square blade could be a hand ax it does look like it has a bit with wear on it but its uniface. It's a puzzler.
 

Attachments

  • image-3248420632.webp
    image-3248420632.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3199930215.webp
    image-3199930215.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-412758014.webp
    image-412758014.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3702773687.webp
    image-3702773687.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2159790080.webp
    image-2159790080.webp
    63.8 KB · Views: 121
Diggin that mano.
 
Me too bro. It has four smoothed out pads around its outside for fingers and the thumb one is actually indented a good bit. We are not in a place that produces a lot of nice manos but I've got two killers on my shelf.
 
Feels cool to hold it exactly like he or she did don't it! Nice finds.
 
Nice finds. Is that a one sided or two sided mano?

Anyone else out there find them?
 
It's one sided my other real nice one is two sided. Most are two sided. I've seen other ones here and there in collections but we don't have shows and everyone around here is very protective over what they have found and where.
 
GatorBoy said:
Feels cool to hold it exactly like he or she did don't it! Nice finds.

Yea it does. The susquehannocks around here were very large Indians. Hands a lot bigger than mine.
 
Very nice Morter/mano. I love those things. Are you using a skirt on your yak? I would think it would be cold right now. Blowing snow here. @ Jon Stewart many double cupped ones been posted on here. I have a yard full. Not pretty though like bsit's.
 
Yeah I posted a couple cup about a month ago. The water we hit is wide and flat. I live on the Chesapeake. Well near it. If its choppy we don't go. Thanks
 
You have some nice stuff there. The larger one looks like a gouge or adze of sorts. The bit is off center, which makes me think it's no axe. The smaller one looks like a hand chopper to me. I have one similar. If you would like, I'll post mine so you can compare. Nice stuff for sure.
 
This site on my page shows many different types of stone tools. I know its in Ga but they do use some examples from all over the USA. This is one of the many I use to do research with when I find something I am not sure on. Check it out just look under ID section when you first click in and then click the item that looks like the one you have found and many examples will come up. Thanks, rock.............Peach State Archaeological Society
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom