May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by the a new thrift store today and saw this necklace. The tag said Sterling and the price was either $10 or $1. I asked the clerk what the price was and she said I could have it for a $1 since it was my first time in the store. I got home and looked at the mark and the freaking thing said 750!!!! Ended up weighing in at 7g or $203 scrap! Awesome day. I also got and unmarked but hand made Sterling pin $0.85 (15g). Nice Sterling turquoise ear rings $2 and fine silver bracelet $0.35. I then hit another store and immediately broke a vase $9. I told her I would pay for it and she said just buy something around that price. Luckily I found the weighted Sterling handled fork for $10.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434670714.387754.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434670168.957777.jpg

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other side of the tag is more confusing. I never turned the tag over. Lol

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!! And, I understand about how garage sales and thrift stores display their coming and going inventory by "Stacking" and "Packing" the shelves and table top rather than "Arranging".... ;>)

I, too, love finding "White" gold. Sometimes it can be an adrenaline rush and another time it can be a bit sad. Last Saturday I pulled out a thin "sterling" bracelet the owner had marked for a Quarter. That's a Rush because when I got home I saw the 10kt stamp. Several years ago, in a jewelry box marked "All Jewelry $2 each", I gathered several actual Sterling pieces of jewelry. Then, the tip of my index finger slid inside a "silver" band ring worn "soft and smooth", but not looking all that old. When I went to pay, the seller, a lady in her mid to late 40's said, "I see you found the ring." I just nodded and smiled. She continued. "It came from another lifetime." I looked at her eyes and we both knew it was 14kt and more than just a ring. As I paid her, I smiled again and said, "I'll take good care of it. We shop for things for my niece who is in college. It probably won't fit her basketball playing fingers, but I'll put it on a necklace and she'll be proud to wear it."

As I walked away, the lady smiled, lifted her hand and gave a small wave, and quietly said, "Thank you....."

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Bill. thanks for sharing

Megagold

Mar 3, 2012
Calif by the Bay
Detector(s) used
MXT- AT Pro- Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by the a new thrift store today and saw this necklace. The tag said Sterling and the price was either $10 or $1. I asked the clerk what the price was and she said I could have it for a $1 since it was my first time in the store. I got home and looked at the mark and the freaking thing said 750!!!! Ended up weighing in at 7g or $203 scrap! Awesome day. I also got and unmarked but hand made Sterling pin $0.85 (15g). Nice Sterling turquoise ear rings $2 and fine silver bracelet $0.35. I then hit another store and immediately broke a vase $9. I told her I would pay for it and she said just buy something around that price. Luckily I found the weighted Sterling handled fork for $10.
View attachment 1177027
View attachment 1177026

Great story! :) Our thrift store has an appraiser come in and appraise the jewelry... And they sell for scrap...what a bummer!

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds! Your experience makes me want to start digging in the jewelry at thrift stores. I haven't found gold in a long time, thanks for sharing!

I was at a pawn shop a year or two back and found a white gold wedding band with a tag that said SS. I paid around $10 for it and promptly sold it for around $120. My memory isn't the greatest, if you can't tell. :)

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love digging thru jewelry, coin boxes and any pile of junk. Yesterday at our MD club meeting one member brought his junk jewelry box. I went thru it quickly and pulled 4 gold items he did not know he had.

The lesson I learned is to always double check SS items. Hint...it was really shiny, more so than Silver, so I should have suspected it. Good luck E59!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread