Missouri rock ball meteorite?

Tegan

Sep 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given to me. Told it was found in S. America but I am not sure if this valid information. Has slight magnetic pull/push. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
IMG_20170801_135509.jpg
IMG_20170801_135603.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would need better images. first thought; concretion.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given to me. Told it was found in S. America but I am not sure if this valid information. Has slight magnetic pull/push. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
View attachment 1489466
View attachment 1489467

Someone here found one of those in Texas, I think it was, the other day. Its probably real, in my opinion. Ball games were big among the natives in Latin America. It looks like its been worked to get so round like that.

Upvote 0

KimberlyV

Greenie
Apr 12, 2016
California/Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While meteorites are typically metal, contrary to popular belief, they are usually non magnetic. A true meteorite will also have what is know as a "fusion crust," a glass like surface that results from the heat & pressure of entering the earths atmosphere. The round shape is definitely interesting & a closer picture will help better identify what type of geology you really have. However, it's def not a meteorite.

Upvote 0

KimberlyV

Greenie
Apr 12, 2016
California/Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed the larger picture, and noticed the surface. Compare what you have to pictures of confirmed meteorites. You'll find they are very different. Now Google 'iron canon ball' images. I think you will be surprised what you see. There are a variety of reasons why a canon ball might be magnetic. If the texture is what I think it is, a gunsmith familiar with black powder will be able to give you a definitive identification about your treasure.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread