Mixed up Signals and Tones yeilds a mixed bag of silver, and other stuff!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
With the weather warmed up, and the weeds and bugs nowhere in sight I decided to give a shot to the steep hillside behind the old fairgrounds. The slope is steep, covered in brush, and shows signs of having earth, and everything it held, bulldozed over the edges. It is tough going, especially when it is hot out, but I've long wondered how many goodies had been pushed over the edge of that hill.

I put the procoil on the Quattro and decided to see what I could find. With not a single silver coin in the pouch this year I was willing to try anything. I just had to break the dry spell!

After a little over an hour of working my way up and down the side of the hill I was doubting my theory, and my sanity.
Then I found a depression with a mixed up signal when I put the coil over it. I got a nickel signal, a silver signal, some lower signals, like brass, with some iffy penny signals and small iron signals. Every time I changed the angle I got a different signal, with a different depth. I just kept getting sweet little silver tones that were driving me crazy. No way to pinpoint any signal, since on pinpoint the Quattro got the stutters, so many little targets.

Finally I decided to just dig up the depression. The entire depression was about 18 inches in diameter. I wasn't too worried about making a clean hole, since I was deep in the brush and probably the only human crazy enough to climb in there in the last 15 years.
I found some nails, of course, first. Then up came a Buff!(a1925 or '29?), then a 16 Guage shotgun shell, a 1943 War Nickel, a 1943 Washington, and then some odd pieces of metal I couldn't identify.

By the time I had everything from the hole it was growning dark, so I headed home.

Attachments

• 3-27-10 Buff a.jpg
    3-27-10 Buff a.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 3-27-10 Buff b.jpg
    3-27-10 Buff b.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,151
  • 3-27-10 1943 War nickel a.jpg
    3-27-10 1943 War nickel a.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 3-27-10 1943 War nickel b.jpg
    3-27-10 1943 War nickel b.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 3-27-10 1943 Washington a.jpg
    3-27-10 1943 Washington a.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 3-27-10 1943 Washington b.jpg
    3-27-10 1943 Washington b.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 3-27-10 Mixed Bag fg.jpg
    3-27-10 Mixed Bag fg.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,111
Upvote 0

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Diligence pays off. Like the old mantra goes.. "DIG EVERYTHING". Cool finds my friend. Makes me jealous though, all that silver. Cool.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

DanMI

May 26, 2007
Wow, just goes to show, you gotta dig. I have passed over messy signals like that in the past. Makes me wonder what I missed. Nice job. Great bunch of coins!!! WTG. hh dan

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, in the last pic are those teeth???? nice finds on the cions!!!

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Chug,
They look like teeth, kinda, but they are definately metal. Signal about like a penny, but the tone is off.
The one on the right looks kind of like a bullet, if you see the ring on it, but squished flat.
Thanks,
Mark

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright Mark!! congrats on breaking your streak with some nice shiny silver. got some good looking stuff there, congrats on a good hunt :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Always nice to see silver! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Nice job on the buffalo! Looks like a 1921 to me, but no S sadly. Nice job on the silver too! :)

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go my friend. That just shows us all to keep on tryin' the "iffies" :icon_thumleft:

At most of my parks...that's all that's left...and you just proved there's good stuff hidden in there many times :icon_thumleft:

Nice load of shiny stuff you popped out :headbang:

craigv3

Jan 2, 2010
GRASS LAKE
Detector(s) used
Deus,Makro CF77, Minelab Etrac, Teknetics T2SE, 2 excel II's, and a Tigershark
Nice finds brother.....I have contemplated diggng signals that kept changing VDI numbers in the past....but sooner or later you see the copper or silver VDI pop up and you go for it! It paid off for you this time! Good finds!!

"Z"

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough conditions but congrats on the silver! HH, Mike

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
DanMI said:
Wow, just goes to show, you gotta dig. I have passed over messy signals like that in the past. Makes me wonder what I missed. Nice job. Great bunch of coins!!! WTG. hh dan
Dan, I pass up most of them, but I kept getting a different signal from each direction, but they "locked on" each time.
It it had been just a messy bunch of different numbers I probably wouldn't have dug it either. Glad I did though.

postalgriff said:
Alright Mark!! congrats on breaking your streak with some nice shiny silver. got some good looking stuff there, congrats on a good hunt :thumbsup:
Thanks Postal! I was pretty relieved to actually bag some silver. Was starting to feel kind of cursed!

allen said:
way to go where no one else will and you made it pay off nicely !! :coffee2:
Thanks, I still hurt some!

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Detectingfreak said:
Nice job on the buffalo! Looks like a 1921 to me, but no S sadly. Nice job on the silver too! :)
Yes, Exactly. The 1 is pretty worn, but still there. Thanks!

BandB1 said:
Congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks BandB1!

silverfreak said:
Way to go my friend. That just shows us all to keep on tryin' the "iffies" :icon_thumleft:

At most of my parks...that's all that's left...and you just proved there's good stuff hidden in there many times :icon_thumleft:

Nice load of shiny stuff you popped out :headbang:

Thanks Bryce! You set the standard that many of us aspire to! Love your posts, and wish I could consistently pull those old silvers from the dirt!

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
craigv3 said:
Nice finds brother.....I have contemplated diggng signals that kept changing VDI numbers in the past....but sooner or later you see the copper or silver VDI pop up and you go for it! It paid off for you this time! Good finds!!

"Z"
Thanks Craig! Hope you are down there pulling old silvers on every hunt!

plehbah said:
The bullets look a little melted, and you said you found some nails..... could those have been from boards that were burned?

It sounds like you found a little hunter campfire maybe...

Kepp working your "Slope of Hell"- now I am curious too about what is there!

Thanks Plehbah! No sign of fire. I think this is just where a bunch of stuff collected when they pushed junk over the edge with a loader or bulldozer. Who knows exactly how it ended up there?
Bavaria Mike said:
Tough conditions but congrats on the silver! HH, Mike
Thanks Mike!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread