Modern Day Encryption

S

Smee

Some of us who participate in this forum, as well those who lurk here are pretty good at seeing things differently than most folks.

I posted this under the "Everything Else" forum, but I really think this is where I should have posted it because some of us here have experience dealing with various cyphers including some ancient ones that modern "professionals" may be unfamiliar with.

The FBI is trying to decrypt two notes found on a body. They are hoping that the information on the notes will help catch a killer. Because they have been unsuccessful, they have opened an appeal to the public to assist.

What got my attention is what appears to me to be a set of global coordinates. I would wager they are encrypted, and thus my thinking that possibly the note is not something to help solve a murder but possibly something else of a tangible nature that has been "misplaced" since it is not in the government's coffers.

You can read the story and view the notes here: http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/march/cryptanalysis_032911

Can you figure it out?

If so, you can contact the FBI through their site: www.fbi.gov

grillz

Aug 2, 2009
I like a challenge, and will give it my best. Did you notice that a great number of words end with the letter "E".

If this guy wrote these notes to himself, what was the reason? If he wrote them for someone else to read, who was it? Who has the key?

Good luck. grillz

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a reminder note to "self" to remember certain things--like you would write a "to do list" before going on errands for the day --but in this case --its things he did not want others to know about him doing *

your not going to write in the "clear" --- "pick up 147 lb's of pot and take it to cbe "* --so that anyone who finds one of your notes "knows" what your up to are you? because if the cops pull you over --and while searching you find "the note" to them its "gibberish" if in code -- however if the "note" was clearly written in plain english --you'ld be screwed .

the cords might be meeting places to exchange items at .

murder might have been from a deal gone bad or a totally set up as a "rip and burn" -- (rob & kill the "money or dope person" - rather than doing a "honest" dope deal * are quite common in the dope biz )-- by killing the other side of the deal --the killer gets "free dope or free money"

please note the WLD's --the apostrophy * -its a slip up in his code -- it means either a amount --like in lb's -- or a persons belongings (item)-- joe's cat -- with a number 147 in front of it -- I thinking its a amount of "something " 147 "WLD's' going to /coming from --CBE

I think the little n's are being used similar to "stop /break" in morse code --ala (147 WLD's n (break) CBE n (BREAK)

note that WLD and CBE are used several times -- with a number 147 being used with WLD's , I think WLD is a item * or weight of some sort like lb's --- say 147 lb's of ---- or 147 whatever's

if kilograms -- 147 is a bit less than 324 lbs -- if say its 147 pounds--its about (67 kilos)-- 147 lbs / kilos of pot or meth or other drugs would be worth a lot of money "on the street"--more than enough money to get you "whacked"

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why haven't they plugged this code into their super computers and let it run? Has anyone ever heard of the FBI publicising any of their problems, other than their Most Wanted list? Has anyone tried to verify this "problem" by calling their local FBI office to find out if it is a REAL situation?

For all those folks who went to that site to "participate"; your computer ID is now in their records. Now, "they WHO" is the question. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

Smee

Shortstack said:
Why haven't they plugged this code into their super computers and let it run? Has anyone ever heard of the FBI publicising any of their problems, other than their Most Wanted list? Has anyone tried to verify this "problem" by calling their local FBI office to find out if it is a REAL situation?

For all those folks who went to that site to "participate"; your computer ID is now in their records. Now, "they WHO" is the question. :icon_scratch:
Hi Shortstack.

The website is the FBI's website. They are asking for help. Their cryptographers are stumped. Visit the site noted in the original post, and you will see that they say they are unable to decipher the code.

When I saw something that looked like coordinates to me (North/South coordinates vertical and East/West coordinates horizontal) the first thing that came to my mind is that it isn't necessarily an effort to locate a murderer, but rather a recovery operation.

As far as your computer ID is concerned, it is already part of their records the moment you connect to the internet. I mean, really, do you believe that Akami is a bunch of people who are such good hearted folks they spend billions to provide free image (graphics) storage for almost all websites to save the owners' space and money?

For instance, Imgfarm is part of Akami. You can't read an online newspaper without connecting to them, and that connection occurs even if you have graphics turned off.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smee:
"They" had MY computer ID from ebay, Amazon, Best Buy, and, oh yes, TurboTax, so guess I'm "made" already. LMAO

I still wonder why they haven't plugged the code into the super computers at the CIA or the NSA. Those are the movers and shakers in the code world. But, what the heck. Maybe their budget won't let them do that. Can you imagine how much those computers cost per hour to operate??

Anway, good luck y'all on figuring it out. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
hell with the "data mining" ops they got going on--- visit any site --post anything -- and your "on the books"-- thats price of admission to the internet "funhouse" me amigo * --have a nice day.

ps the older cell phones DID NOT HAVE GPS TRACKERS IN THEM --thats why they were made "useless" by the govt--- the govt forced the phone companys to do a "freq change" --so they set up a new freq that required anyone who wanted a cell phone that worked --to get a NEW FREQ PHONE --A new model GPS TRACKING "ENABLED" PHONE --- PS CELL PHONES BEING THEY ARE "WIRELESS" DO NOT REQIUIRE A "WIRE TAPPING" PERMIT * TO LISTEN IN ON YOUR CALLS --- so remember your cell phone calls are NOTsecure and are legally allowed to be monitered at any time. --have a nice day.

oh you do know that ATT has a "govt services" division don't you? ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan:
My cell phone is about 6 years old and is a "pay as I go" situation. I have to turn it "off" while at home to keep the gps signal going out from annoying me with it's fed back through my computer speakers. If someone brings a cell phone into my house, I can tell it quick, because their telltale signal can be heard through my computer speakers.
The sound made is a rhythmic string of "tat" sounds that last for a few seconds, then stops. A couple of minutes later, it'll do it again. Oh yeah; my speakers are low cost, amplified speakers I bought at Radio Shack and not the "stock" ones that came with the machine.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Shortstack said:
I still wonder why they haven't plugged the code into the super computers at the CIA or the NSA. Those are the movers and shakers in the code world. But, what the heck. Maybe their budget won't let them do that. Can you imagine how much those computers cost per hour to operate??

Anway, good luck y'all on figuring it out. :thumbsup:

Those computers of the CIA and NSA are for those divisions of Obamaland. You know those folks "cooperate" like lions around a three day old carcass.

Besides that, the code appears to be unique. It isn't one devised by a government, or a cypher like any other they've seen.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
my cell phone "reacts" with my speakers even when its turned off ! -- so it transmits / reports in gps wize even when shut off !-- ever wonder why a shut off cell phones batteries "drain" and need recharging every few days? ::) :o

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..............guess I'll be getting a small sheet of lead and forming a "holster" for my phone. That would be easier and more usable than removing the battery, too.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Well..............guess I'll be getting a small sheet of lead and forming a "holster" for my phone. That would be easier and more usable than removing the battery, too.

Hi shortstack,

I got a smile out of that. Don`t forget to get a patent, that could be a different kind of treasure. :laughing7:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D Well, in all seriousness, thin sheets of lead foil can be found in craft stores or on line and can be used to line the phone holsters including a flap for the cover. Those weak signals can't get through the lead, so, no tracking. Until you pull the phone for a call.

OP
OP
S

Smee

Man! How did we live without cell phones? Pretty good as I remember.

At least it saves the gooberment money since they don't have to pay to get those chips planted in our butts any more :laughing7: Shoot, now we pay good money for it, and just carry them on our hip.

Cleveland B.

Jun 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those two cyphers are excellent.
There are many opinions out there
about wether or not they can be
understood, and if so, what they might be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread