What's new

Mom Scores Sterling!!

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
2,494
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I came home from yard sailing and my Mom was at the house. She got this whole pile for $2. 2 are marked sterling. The big spoon with the writing is 2.5 oz. It is marked Luther League-Zion Luth. Church-Aug 14, 1902. The small 1/2 oz. sterling pickle fork is marked B & O (B & O Railroad). Some have hallmarks so they might be sterling. Some I am saving for my collection, some for sale on Ebay. Hey, silver is silver.
HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_06.webp
    ScreenHunter_06.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 394
  • ScreenHunter_07.webp
    ScreenHunter_07.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 393
  • ScreenHunter_06.webp
    ScreenHunter_06.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 396
  • ScreenHunter_07.webp
    ScreenHunter_07.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
Hell of a deal .... kudos to Mom that nice pile for 2.00 ... great addition to your silver stash :thumbsup:
 
I have heard about scoring sterling silverware at yard sales. I was in the coin shop once when someone brought in a serving tray that he said he bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks or so. It was very tarnished up and I guess the owner just wanted to get rid of it. I did not hear how many ounces it weighed, but I know he got a few hundred for it from what I saw.

It would be great to find some sterling for cheap.


Jim
 
Great find I found 40 full silver spoons at salvation army yesterday, they were 20 cents a piece so for $8 I got 40 full silver spoons, and I'm posting them on Ebay soon. NICE FIND :thumbsup:

SEMPER FI :sunny:
 
If you see a lot of them and can get them cheap just buy them all. You can check them with a loupe at home. Some of the old ones aren't marked sterling but have a hall mark. That is half the fun trying to research.
 
Nice score marine09666. I like your childhood experiment picture. :thumbsup:
 
Mom did great!! I really like the bottom spoon in the 2nd picture.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom