What's new

Moms ex has a 10- ounce silver bar.

danny1987

Full Member
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I want to make an offer on it, What do you think a fair one would be? I'm thinking $125
 
Upvote 0
Depends on if you like the guy or not... ;)

I'm not sure how dealers are near you/him, but I could sell a 10oz bar to one of my guys for at least $125 right now considering how little stuff is coming in. If HE were to try a dealer, he might get a little less since he has no prior relations with the guy, but the market is tight now, so he might be able to get the $125 from a dealer.

So the norm is, if you like the person you are offering the deal to, you try and beat what the dealer would offer. If you don't like the guy, you try to lowball.

Considering I and most everyone else on this forum would GLADLY pay someone $135 for a 10oz (that's STILL below spot!), you might want to offer him a bit more if you like the guy.

~Dave
 
danny1987 said:
I want to make an offer on it, What do you think a fair one would be? I'm thinking $125


Fair is a relative term and hard to define. 125 would be a sweetheart deal for you if it is a name brand bar with the purity and weight stamped on it. He could go to a coin store and at least get spot if it is engelhard or JM with the current shortage and all. Offer 125 and see if he takes it. If not, offer spot. That would still be a good deal if the bar is a name brand. Lately I have seen some really old bars at the coin stores without a hallmark on them. I avoid these. They kind of look like minature versions of the gold bars you see stacked up in photos. Dont know where they are from or who makes them.

Jim
 
I would buy it a s cheap as you can get it. Like-dislike................forget that. Buy with your wallet, not your heart. Just because you like someone that doesn't mean they are paying your bills. I'd start at $100. And act dumb as to what silver is going for. You just never know.
 
I could never play dumb on buying silver from anyone who knows me in the least :P they all know that I know my stuff.

I mean... if you can pay $125 of $130 for a 10oz bar... have fun finding that deal ANYWHERE. Why screw a family friend or your own friend out of their money just to lower your price per oz. by a little bit?

You cold cold cold hearted man! lol

~Dave
 
Does he even want to sell it? $125 is low imo. Fair would be $137.
 
Right now the 10oz. bars are fetching $150+ on ebay.
 
Silver_Fox said:
I would buy it a s cheap as you can get it. Like-dislike................forget that. Buy with your wallet, not your heart. Just because you like someone that doesn't mean they are paying your bills. I'd start at $100. And act dumb as to what silver is going for. You just never know.

Hey if he likes you why can't he give you a deal, say accept $100 for it cause he likes you, and it would be sort of a gift. But what if you hang on to it and silver drops to the $6 dollar range..... Hmmmm.

Mojo
 
At Bullion DIrect right now, a 10 oz bar has a bid of $146 and an ask of $160. And the $146 is delivered to them, so that means he would net a little less, since he pays for shipping. He can use a flat rate box, and net about $135.

So, it would net him $135, and cost you $160. I'd split the difference with the guy. With ANY guy - or gal. And offer $145. Just me.

You are getting a deal, and he is getting a deal.

If you want more of a deal, I wouldn't go below $135. Otherwise hard feelings could come up in the future.
 
A fair price is = the point at which he is willing to sell it and you're willing to buy it. If those points don't fall on the same line then there isn't a fair price.

Were you selling something with numismatic value then I think that you do have some responsibility to make the seller aware of what it is that they are selling. But commodities... No way. He knows he has silver. If he wants to sell it then he needs to be the one to determine what his sell price is.

Basically make your offer. If he takes it Great. If he doesn't, oh well. I don't know your relationship with the guy, but were it me I'd offer somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-110.
 
I'm interested to know if you end up with the bar, and how much you offered/paid.

Keep us posted!

~Dave
 
BBcardsRI said:
I'm interested to know if you end up with the bar, and how much you offered/paid.

Keep us posted!

~Dave

It ends up that he is not interested in selling. He said it was one his dad gave him.
 
Ah.

I've run into some tellers with nice stashes they won't sell either. Some of them got them from their fathers back when they were in WWII and picking things up as they went to dif. countries.

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom