jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got over to the Hegins Park (famous for the LABOR DAY Pigeon shoots which started in the 30's)? ?this morning for a Couple Hours.

It was Nice to get Out.

I managed to Find 2 Indians 1898 & 1903 , and a Wheat Cent 1936.

I also found a PIGEON band Dated 47 the rest says "UP F E 21 10" which is Completly GREEK to me.

an On top of the Ground Find was a? plastic HENSON BAKERY CRAFTS "Cookie Monster" Ring with a Copywrite 1998.

Also found 1 Memorial Cent, 1 Jeff Nickel, 3 Clad Quarters, & 8 roosies in a row. I got So Sick of Digging Clad Dimes, I left the OBVIOUS rest there & Moved on.

? ?ANY way, I know you'v all seen INDIANS & WHEATS, & sinse My Camera Don't work Well on Copper,

? ? ? ? ? ? I'll Just Post Pics of the Pigeon Band
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? and
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The RING.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?THANKS FOR LOOKING
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?J E F F

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Attachments

• Photoppp003.jpg
    Photoppp003.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 464
  • Photoppp006.jpg
    Photoppp006.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
Hey Jeff,
I have a friend who I detect with occasionally. He also raises homing pigeons. Usually he can tell exactly who the bird belongs(ed) to from the info on the band. Check with anyone who races pigeons. They can probably find out who the owner was.
Was the leg still attached? ;D

BK

OH ! I forgot.

? ? ? ? ?In My Trash Pocket.

A very Long Chain & a Large Round Spike.

I'm hopeing after Electrolysis Proves to Be a DATE NAIL.

bk ;

? In the Early Days of Pigeon Shoots, There Used to be BREEDERS, who would Breed & train their Birds.

? Then The Spectators Would Gamble On Weather the Shooter Would Get The Pigeon once it Left the Trap.

? These Birds Were Trained to dodge the bullits? ;D

In the 70's with The ANIMAL RIGHTS loonies comming out of the woodwork,
this was stopped. and the COLEMAN LABOR DAY, Hegins Pigeon Shoot was Their Main TARGET to Stop all together.
Which Brought it WORLD WIDE ATTENTION.
http://www.stephenfiorella.com/Stories/jsp1b1.htm

and even TED NUGENT.

anyway, a few years ago the shoots stopped, but I believe these Bands, (Most of which have Owners Names On. were from the early days.

Attachments

• chain001.jpg
    chain001.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 460
JakePhelps said:
Cool finds! Let us konw if its a date nail, where there any tracks nearby?

Actually no tracks in that whole valley, so I know it's not likely to be a date nail.

? ? B U T? ?I ' M? ?H O P E I N G? :D

Neat Finds...
What in the world is a " Date Nail " ??? ;D
It sure looks like a piece to a big old spike...

Cool finds Jeff!

HH

Lonewolfe

Sounds good Jeff. Seems to be working out good for you since you upgraded. You need top performance these days. Wait till you get real good with that thing. Are you finding any of these items overtop of your old unit.

Keep up the good work.

HH Jer

JerDfx said:
Are you finding any of these items overtop of your old unit.

HH Jer

Absolutely Jer.

The Fact is I'v been Mainly Searching Sites I'v Hammered With My SOVEREIGN / W.O.T. Combo.

I still have alot of Problems in Unhunted Sites.

TOO many Tone Changes, makes it hard to decide where to start.

I'v Nailed the Pinpointing Already Tho.

JEFF NICE FINDS WELL I LEARNED SOMETHING 2DAY DATE NAIL NEVER HEARD OF THAT. GREAT LINK I PUT IT IN MY FAVORITES. NEXT TIME I FIND A NAIL ANY NAIL ILL BE LOOKING.IM ALONG THE RAILROAD ALL THE TIME.
BUD

If there are Ties Still There, Definately Check for Nails in them.

Good Luck

JEFF LIKE COINS WITH KEY DATES SOME WORTH MORE THAN OTHERS. DATE NAILS ARE THEY WORTH ANY THING.OR SOME MORE THAN OTHERS.I NEVER THOUGHT 2 LOOK AT THE ENDS.I ALWAYS FIND THEM AN CHUCK EM. DAM
BUD

Sorry BUD I realy Don't Know a Whole Lot About Them, as to Weather there are Any Particular RARE DATES.

But I guess to a Collector that has a Hole Where 39 goes He'd Pay a Premium to get it, If you Know what I mean.

If you Search DATE NAIL on EBay you can get an Idea Of their Value.

Nice finds Jeff. Thanks for the education on the date nails. I wonder how many I have tossed. Have to start looking out for them...Lance

? ? ? ? ? Yes, there is key dates for date nails. Actually it's key years, the numbers on the heads stand for the year. ?26 for 1926, 38 for 1938 and so on. I use to be up on which ones were key.
? ? But some 10 years later, and i'll be darned if i can remember which years. I think 01 for 1901 is a key one.
? ? Here on the west coast, there still fairly easy to find. The 20's and 30's, being the most common. ? They were usually put in the end of the tie, or near the end on top.
? There about 3 inches long and the shaft about 3/16 inch thick. ? And you can't miss the numbers om the head. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

I did not know that about date nails and my wife retired from a railway company! We have a bicycle/jogging trail that rins ont top of the old Santa Fe train tracks and I have found a switch lock and a bunch of spikes but nothing similar to a date nail. Sometimes if I see it's a spike I just leave it but I'll be sure to check it closer next time. JIM

Thanks Jeff,,, I learned something new today... ;D
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back