What's new

Montana Meteorites

Tuberale

Gold Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
5,780
Reaction score
3,459
Golden Thread
0
Location
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The fourth-largest state, Montana has 147046 square miles. But it has only 8 meteorites I know of:

Beaverhead, impact crater, circa 600 million years ago; Illinois Gulch, 2.5 kg, 1899; Lombard, 7 kg, 1936; Harlowton, 4 kg, 1975; Roundup, 17.59 kg, 1990; Two Dot, 21.5 kg, 1999; DY Junction, impact crater, 2007.
 
are the impact sites obvious? have you found any?
 
Recent impact craters are fairly obvious. Take a look at the multi-centuries old Canyon Diablo impact in Arizona, featured in the movie "Star Man".

Older craters can become silted in and eroded over time. An ancient large crater near San Francisco/Sacramento is completely silted in and was only recently identified.

I have not found any ... yet. I believe I found a site of one by searching Google-Earth photos in Brazil, but it remains unconfirmed at this time.

Meteorite craters are usually nearly circular in shape. Crater Lake, Oregon is a similar shape. You can find many impact craters by searching for them online.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom