Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 0
Beats the heck out of me .. No idea what a skigger is.. Darned neat old token, though. Hope we can learn something from this one!

jcooking,
check out thetokenstore.com they have a 2 skigger for $120.00.

Seems there's an old definition and a "new" modern definition. New is a term for a gay person, why??? Haven't found the old one yet.

63bkpkr

Wow guys, thanks a lot for the help!

sweet find!!!!! MR TUFF

Google Books has a snippet view from a 1912 issue of "The Magazine of Business" and this is all it says...

"With a cash purchase of a dollar he gives a "skigger" or card entitling the holder to one of the wrapped-up prize packages as a premium. He stipulates that the choice of package must be made without opening it and that the contents will ..."

Thats it. :dontknow:

Always nice to see finds by a fellow Montanan, Very Cool token :thumbsup:, I went to college in Bozo, but never heard of that place!

Happy Hunting, I think our season is coming to an end soon, snow forecast for next week...

Take care...

I found one site that describes it as an "unusual denom used for clothes".

http://www.tomscoin.com/tokninv/tokninv_v.html

The other describes it as follows:

Skigger...what is a Skigger???(old meaning..not new.)

A Skigger was a sales promotion idea that came into use back in the early teens. Merchants would package small value merchandise (usually unsaleable items) in bags and place the bags in a barrel. With a skigger token you could select one of the bags out of the barrel...for free. Sort of...you get a prize!

I did a lot a partying in Bozo,lot of history there!!

Very cool token! Love how the new definition of the word "skigger" is so much different from what it meant long ago.
Ya learn sumpin new every day.
Carl

nice token .... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Very neat find.

"A Skigger was a sales promotion idea that came into use back in the early teens. Merchants would package small value merchandise (usually unsaleable items) in bags and place the bags in a barrel."

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1318456

So my guess is, if it was a generic term, each "skigger" was worth one such item
so a 4 skigger would get the bearer four of the "small value" items

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back