moonshiner

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
I have an opportunty to hunt property once owned by an old moonshiner. The still sites, springs, and some stone foundations are still visible. He wasn't married and had no children that I know of. Does anyone have exp. hunting such sites? Where would caches typically be hidden and how deep?
THanks for any suggestions.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Most of those guys didn't accept paper money, but only gold and silver. They didn't trust banks, either. So their bank was a mason jar or tin box. That being the case, they didn't bury them 3 feet deep since they had to deposit and withdraw often. They either hid them in a shallow hole under some rocks, a hollow stump or buried them no deeper than their elbows would bend and reach. So you should be able to find it with a regular metal detector with a regular to large sized coil.

My first place to hunt would be close to the still and then a reverse spiral away from it. They liked to keep a close eye on things. And if you find one, look for more. There's usually more than one "bank." Good luck. I hope you hit the big one :)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
look for single rock markers in the area of still and area around house and outbuildings.. have found more than a few under a plain old uninteresting rock....good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions