What's new

more cachou box help needed

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
The guy (Ben Swanson) I emailed for help the other day concerning cachou boxes needs a little help as well. A
french box is on it's way to him with an embossed gent that he needs an ID on. Evidently it was common to have some well known figure on these lids. Or is this just a generalized mug? It has a reference to the Orient on the lid, and Ben thought the guy looked Turkish. Any thoughts?

This is a link to the thread that got me started on this and may help if anyone knows as little as I do about cachou boxes.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,277027.0.html

Thanks for the help so far Don and IronSpike
 

Attachments

  • frenchcachou.webp
    frenchcachou.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 722
  • frenchcachou2.webp
    frenchcachou2.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 761
I was having trouble with that too, Don. From what I can tell it has CACHOU d' ORIENT L. JACQUIN PARIS on the front. The back has CACHOU SUPERIEUR AROMATISE POUR. The other words I can't make out either. Here are blowups:
 

Attachments

  • frenchcachou.webp
    frenchcachou.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 501
  • frenchcachou2.webp
    frenchcachou2.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
CACHOU d' ORIENT = Cashews from the East
AROMATISE POUR= Flavor for

Well done Mackaydon :icon_thumright: Reckon the oriental guy could be anyone with a moustache ;D
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Iron Spike: Great ID!!
Scratcher, can you pencil trace over the object to see if you can pick up the missing words?

Don, all I have are the photos to work with. I'll play with them a bit to see if I can make it out....

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
And now I find this:

Cachou. - A scented lozenge used to sweeten the breath (e.g. to conceal the odor of tobacco).

Tutor's tip: That "cachou" (a pastille to sweeten the breath) had a taste like a "cashew" (a nut from a tropical tree).

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/cachou
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Bit of info and an interesting Abe Lincoln cachou tin at:

http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200102.htm

Thanks for the input PBK. Ben said that this Lincoln is the only cachou box lid that he knows of with no inscription on it. That's one of the reasons why he thought the other lid in my above link was not likely a 'cachou' box lid. Also,upon closer inspection the 'side hole' in my lid from the other link was likely not there originally. It was drilled or punched out like the two holes on the top. So it's just a lid for now.
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Scratcher:
Once you friend receives this item, perhaps he/you could furnish us with what other (currently unreadable) words are on the item.

Don, I'll see what I can do. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • jacobpersia.webp
    jacobpersia.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom