More Colonial digs with the Manticore! silver and an unknown coin for the group.

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hit the woods for a few hours today its the last time for the season as the ticks are out and its diving season soon! This site is a c.1800 homestead that I test new machines at so this being the last hunt i cranked up the Manticore to the high 20's for sensitivity ,general high conductor and worked the area. Mixed in with all the hand cut nails (and I dug a few) this 1875 dime was under a large nail. After an hour of little this unknown coin comes to light it was down 5+ in. I cleaned it for a better pic and any information from the group is welcome! Good luck out there and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 20230421_200753.jpg
    20230421_200753.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • 20230421_201001.jpg
    20230421_201001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Upvote 18

EKG

Mar 19, 2017
From Germany but in South America at the moment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the woods for a few hours today its the last time for the season as the ticks are out and its diving season soon! This site is a c.1800 homestead that I test new machines at so this being the last hunt i cranked up the Manticore to the high 20's for sensitivity ,general high conductor and worked the area. Mixed in with all the hand cut nails (and I dug a few) this 1875 dime was under a large nail. After an hour of little this unknown coin comes to light it was down 5+ in. I cleaned it for a better pic and any information from the group is welcome! Good luck out there and happy hunting!

Take pictures in black and white from both sites, please, and send them to me or in this post.
I tried to scan the coin after one hour of research in my Chinese coin library, with no result.
I need better black and white photos to read the coin with help from artificial intelligence, so I can go from there.

OP
OP
SCUBACAPECOD

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Take pictures in black and white from both sites, please, and send them to me or in this post.
I tried to scan the coin after one hour of research in my Chinese coin library, with no result.
I need better black and white photos to read the coin with help from artificial intelligence, so I can go from there.
Here are some B&W's hope they help. The back is blank as far as I can see without cleaning.

Attachments

• 20230421_230255.jpg
    20230421_230255.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230421_230313.jpg
    20230421_230313.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230421_230341.jpg
    20230421_230341.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds :) Thanks for sharing What settings program on your Manicore ?

OP
OP
SCUBACAPECOD

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice finds :) Thanks for sharing What settings program on your Manicore ?
Hi Gare AT this site I used all terrain general, recovery speed 6, low conductor and noise cancel/ground balance not sure of the numbers.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gare AT this site I used all terrain general, recovery speed 6, low conductor and noise cancel/ground balance not sure of the numbers.
Scubacapecod: Thank you for your prompt reply :) I am still trying to get a better grip on mine

EKG

Mar 19, 2017
From Germany but in South America at the moment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some B&W's hope they help. The back is blank as far as I can see without cleaning.
Milled coinage
HSU 151 Cash
brass type A large Pao at left Obv.Inscription Kuang Hau Tung pao .
Mint Che
Date ND 1887
worth from 35 to 120 USD

OP
OP
SCUBACAPECOD

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Milled coinage
HSU 151 Cash
brass type A large Pao at left Obv.Inscription Kuang Hau Tung pao .
Mint Che
Date ND 1887
worth from 35 to 120 USD
Thank you EKG! That fits well with the time frame of occupation for this site. The 1875 dime was located within a few feet of this coin. This website has the best people and you are one of them all the best!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds neighbor! The more I see these results with the Manticore, the more I'm preparing my Nox's for the inevitable break up!

OP
OP
SCUBACAPECOD

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Great finds neighbor! The more I see these results with the Manticore, the more I'm preparing my Nox's for the inevitable break up!
Hi Jeff Thank you for the comments and I enjoy you posts as well. Going from a MXT to the Manticore I'm not sure how much of a step up from the nox it is. I would like to see a side by side test of the nox with say the 15in. loop now that would be e test! What part of the cape are you at?

OP
OP
SCUBACAPECOD

SCUBACAPECOD

Feb 17, 2023
Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice find! The coin appears to be Japanese not Chinese. According to the article it was minted between 1626-1868 Here is the wikipedia about your coin. Happy Hunting!
Kan'ei Tsūhō
(寛永通寳)

Thank you Yang Hao for the information it is very helpful! 谢谢杨浩提供的信息很有帮助!

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread