May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my experiment with electrolysis & the crusty Roman Coin. I decided to look through all my other pile of scrappies.

After experimenting with many that showed limited results I rescued 2 more from the junk pile & added them to the Albums. 1 with an obverse type I've never had. Both coins were like the before shot with nothing visible on both sides.

I've learnt a lot about which coins need this treatment & which will never benefit.

These were the only 2 good ones out of about 2000 I looked at, so my first choice coin was a lucky strike 8) Still it meant adding another 2 nice coins to the proper collection.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 944
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 941
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 945
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 943
Upvote 0

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
nice pile of coins they came out really good :icon_thumright: amzing you couldn't even see the coin before

CAgem

Mar 8, 2008
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, Deus
I do some metal detecting in the UK. I've found some 'scrappies' and regretted that I had no way to clean them. So how DO you determine which will clean and which will not? ???

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAgem said:
I do some metal detecting in the UK. I've found some 'scrappies' and regretted that I had no way to clean them. So how DO you determine which will clean and which will not? ???

Basically, they need to have been lost in good condition (hard to tell prior to cleaning) but need to have a sandy like build up which under normal cleaning conditions is impossible to clean off (cement like).

S

seger98

Wow, you've done an excellent job of cleaning those two coins up.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Good results, who would have thought they would come out like that :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mmm roman coins -- stuck here in the states no romans to find that I know of. pity --that bag of "scrappies" as you call looks mighty good to me

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great 'before' and 'after' - Have you rubbed some oil into them after to bring them up that dark?
You getting the rain down there? Really bad up here - I've resorted to visiting charity shops and ebay these last few days instead of the fields :(

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
Wow! Great 'before' and 'after' - Have you rubbed some oil into them after to bring them up that dark?
You getting the rain down there? Really bad up here - I've resorted to visiting charity shops and ebay these last few days instead of the fields :(

no the process makes them dark

half-serious

Greenie
Apr 1, 2009
MS
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax, Ace 250
Those are nice but I'm kinda disappointed :(

I thought out of the thousands of scrappies you have, there would be albums full of reclaimed ones.
Since I expected that, I knew you would be running out of spoons so I was getting all my old Uri Geller spoons ready to send.
Did you have to go away and 'forget' about these like you did the first one to get them to turn out this good?

BTW, I read somewhere that when you use salt in electrolysis, chlorine gas is given off (that's for the benefit of those who would try electrolysis inside) :P and the writer suggested that baking soda should be used instead.

Attachments

• poons.jpg
    poons.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 483
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
half-serious said:
Those are nice but I'm kinda disappointed :(

I thought out of the thousands of scrappies you have, there would be albums full of reclaimed ones.
Since I expected that, I knew you would be running out of spoons so I was getting all my old Uri Geller spoons ready to send.
Did you have to go away and 'forget' about these like you did the first one to get them to turn out this good?

BTW, I read somewhere that when you use salt in electrolysis, chlorine gas is given off (that's for the benefit of those who would try electrolysis inside) :P and the writer suggested that baking soda should be used instead.

I knew I wouldn't have that many as most off them are eaten up by our poor soil conditions & the years of farm chemicials.

Its did take a mimium of 3 hours

Thanks for the baking Soda idea, although its safe as I use a very small tub with only a tiny amount of salt & I'm not in the room at the time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice outcome, that's a pile crusties. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Crusader, Gives you something to do in the rough winter months.

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
birdman said:
Great job Crusader, Gives you something to do in the rough winter months.

Nice job C.

This brings back memories. Years ago I cleaned many thousands of these for collectors and dealers.
teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread