What's new

More Crusty Coins.....

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,541
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my experiment with electrolysis & the crusty Roman Coin. I decided to look through all my other pile of scrappies.

After experimenting with many that showed limited results I rescued 2 more from the junk pile & added them to the Albums. 1 with an obverse type I've never had. Both coins were like the before shot with nothing visible on both sides.

I've learnt a lot about which coins need this treatment & which will never benefit.

These were the only 2 good ones out of about 2000 I looked at, so my first choice coin was a lucky strike 8) Still it meant adding another 2 nice coins to the proper collection.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 973
  • before.webp
    before.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 971
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 973
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 967
Upvote 0
nice pile of coins they came out really good :icon_thumright: amzing you couldn't even see the coin before
 
I do some metal detecting in the UK. I've found some 'scrappies' and regretted that I had no way to clean them. So how DO you determine which will clean and which will not? ???
 
CAgem said:
I do some metal detecting in the UK. I've found some 'scrappies' and regretted that I had no way to clean them. So how DO you determine which will clean and which will not? ???

Basically, they need to have been lost in good condition (hard to tell prior to cleaning) but need to have a sandy like build up which under normal cleaning conditions is impossible to clean off (cement like).
 
Wow, you've done an excellent job of cleaning those two coins up.
 
Good results, who would have thought they would come out like that :icon_thumleft:
 
Very nice! Quite a surprise there, compared to the "before" photo.
 
Very work on cleaning as it came out great. That's one big pile of coins you have and wish mine looked like that.
 
mmm roman coins -- stuck here in the states no romans to find that I know of. pity --that bag of "scrappies" as you call looks mighty good to me
 
Wow! Great 'before' and 'after' - Have you rubbed some oil into them after to bring them up that dark?
You getting the rain down there? Really bad up here - I've resorted to visiting charity shops and ebay these last few days instead of the fields :(
 
DavidBeard said:
Wow! Great 'before' and 'after' - Have you rubbed some oil into them after to bring them up that dark?
You getting the rain down there? Really bad up here - I've resorted to visiting charity shops and ebay these last few days instead of the fields :(

no the process makes them dark
 
Those are nice but I'm kinda disappointed :(

I thought out of the thousands of scrappies you have, there would be albums full of reclaimed ones.
Since I expected that, I knew you would be running out of spoons so I was getting all my old Uri Geller spoons ready to send.
Did you have to go away and 'forget' about these like you did the first one to get them to turn out this good?

BTW, I read somewhere that when you use salt in electrolysis, chlorine gas is given off (that's for the benefit of those who would try electrolysis inside) :P and the writer suggested that baking soda should be used instead.
 

Attachments

  • poons.webp
    poons.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 503
half-serious said:
Those are nice but I'm kinda disappointed :(

I thought out of the thousands of scrappies you have, there would be albums full of reclaimed ones.
Since I expected that, I knew you would be running out of spoons so I was getting all my old Uri Geller spoons ready to send.
Did you have to go away and 'forget' about these like you did the first one to get them to turn out this good?

BTW, I read somewhere that when you use salt in electrolysis, chlorine gas is given off (that's for the benefit of those who would try electrolysis inside) :P and the writer suggested that baking soda should be used instead.

I knew I wouldn't have that many as most off them are eaten up by our poor soil conditions & the years of farm chemicials.

Its did take a mimium of 3 hours

Thanks for the baking Soda idea, although its safe as I use a very small tub with only a tiny amount of salt & I'm not in the room at the time.
 
practice makes perfect keep trying :D
 
Nice outcome, that's a pile crusties. :thumbsup:
 
Great job Crusader, Gives you something to do in the rough winter months.
 
birdman said:
Great job Crusader, Gives you something to do in the rough winter months.

Nice job C.

This brings back memories. Years ago I cleaned many thousands of these for collectors and dealers.
teddy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom