What's new

More Desert Silver!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,878
Reaction score
47,422
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between rain storms yesterday, so I decided to head out to a California ghost town I like to hunt.
The ground was still very wet from the previous days rain and seemed to make the dig-able targets really sing out loud and clear. I couldn't believe how many targets I popped in an area I've been over several times.
The real shocker was this 1901-P dime sitting right on the surface!

IMG_0431.webp

IMG_0433.webp


Also got some buttons,
an old US padlock,
a clock winder key,
a cute little porcelain knob,
a black powder container cap,
some turquoise bits,
a keyhole escutcheon,
a wedding band,
a live .44 Russian round and a .44 Webley shell
IMG_0437.webp


Unfortunately, the lock was involved in a fire and the other side is kinda melty.
IMG_0442.webp


The ring is very strange looking. It's non magnetic, but doesn't appear to be gold, silver, copper or brass. It has a weird grayish patina. :dontknow:
IMG_0435.webp


This cool old kettle was sticking out of the soft ground.
IMG_0430.webp


Here's all the stuff I left on site.
IMG_0432.webp


I can just picture Bufort T. Justice hiding behind some cactus with his radar gun at the ready! :laughing7:
IMG_0429.webp


It's currently raining with flood watch in that area, I can't wait to get back out there!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0434.webp
    IMG_0434.webp
    408.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0438.webp
    IMG_0438.webp
    2 MB · Views: 84
Upvote 45
Between rain storms yesterday, so I decided to head out to a California ghost town I like to hunt.
The ground was still very wet from the previous days rain and seemed to make the dig-able targets really sing out loud and clear. I couldn't believe how many targets I popped in an area I've been over several times.
The real shocker was this 1901-P dime sitting right on the surface!

View attachment 2234031
View attachment 2234032

Also got some buttons,
an old US padlock,
a clock winder key,
a cute little porcelain knob,
a black powder container cap,
some turquoise bits,
a keyhole escutcheon,
a wedding band,
a live .44 Russian round and a .44 Webley shell
View attachment 2234033

Unfortunately, the lock was involved in a fire and the other side is kinda melty.
View attachment 2234034

The ring is very strange looking. It's non magnetic, but doesn't appear to be gold, silver, copper or brass. It has a weird grayish patina. :dontknow:
View attachment 2234036

This cool old kettle was sticking out of the soft ground.
View attachment 2234037

Here's all the stuff I left on site.
View attachment 2234038

I can just picture Bufort T. Justice hiding behind some cactus with his radar gun at the ready! :laughing7:
View attachment 2234039

It's currently raining with flood watch in that area, I can't wait to get back out there!
Man, I think you took some of my luck with you down south 😅 Just kidding. That coin is in really good condition. You had a great day.
 
Between rain storms yesterday, so I decided to head out to a California ghost town I like to hunt.
The ground was still very wet from the previous days rain and seemed to make the dig-able targets really sing out loud and clear. I couldn't believe how many targets I popped in an area I've been over several times.
The real shocker was this 1901-P dime sitting right on the surface!

View attachment 2234031
View attachment 2234032

Also got some buttons,
an old US padlock,
a clock winder key,
a cute little porcelain knob,
a black powder container cap,
some turquoise bits,
a keyhole escutcheon,
a wedding band,
a live .44 Russian round and a .44 Webley shell
View attachment 2234033

Unfortunately, the lock was involved in a fire and the other side is kinda melty.
View attachment 2234034

The ring is very strange looking. It's non magnetic, but doesn't appear to be gold, silver, copper or brass. It has a weird grayish patina. :dontknow:
View attachment 2234036

This cool old kettle was sticking out of the soft ground.
View attachment 2234037

Here's all the stuff I left on site.
View attachment 2234038

I can just picture Bufort T. Justice hiding behind some cactus with his radar gun at the ready! :laughing7:
View attachment 2234039

It's currently raining with flood watch in that area, I can't wait to get back out there!
Great hunt. Wonder what that ring is made of. Can you make out any markings inside it?
 
That's a helluva day man. Really nice finds. Congratz!!
 
Luv the Barber. Great finds all around ! The U.S. lock is very cool. I can envision it being on an old army strong box. Looks like a bullet is lodged in the lower right corner.
Don't give up on that nice solid looking ring. It's not pitted & depending on what alloys were used to make it, it could be old gold. You mention it's an area of rains & floods. Alloyed gold can have a grayish, brownish or blackish patina, depending on what alloys were used & how long it was exposed to water. Probably 100 years or more in the rain/flood area. CHEERS !!

PS. Take some 400 grit wet/dry sand paper and sand a little spot on the INSIDE of the ring if (you feel comfortable doing that). If it tests as gold, & you choose to polish it, I would recommend you polish JUST THE INSIDE of the ring & leave the outside just the way it is. It creates a nice contrast & validates the ring's age. Good luck & keep them great finds coming !
 
Last edited:
Man, I think you took some of my luck with you down south 😅 Just kidding. That coin is in really good condition. You had a great day.
Thanks my friend! Very happy to be finding Barbers, but still hoping for a seated down here.
 
Thanks Chilli, no markings in it.
That's a weird one from your description. I don't know why buy in my head came because of the colour and you saying its not the other things. "Did it come in contact with mercury"?
Long shot, but from my time on gold, could that be it?
Gold hitting mercury turns it grey.
Hoping im wrong.
 
That's a weird one from your description. I don't know why buy in my head came because of the colour and you saying its not the other things. "Did it come in contact with mercury"?
Long shot, but from my time on gold, could that be it?
Gold hitting mercury turns it grey.
Hoping im wrong.
I'm now thinking it's a very low karat gold. It takes about 10-15 seconds for the 10k acid to eat it up. Maybe 8k. :dontknow:
 
Between rain storms yesterday, so I decided to head out to a California ghost town I like to hunt.
The ground was still very wet from the previous days rain and seemed to make the dig-able targets really sing out loud and clear. I couldn't believe how many targets I popped in an area I've been over several times.
The real shocker was this 1901-P dime sitting right on the surface!

View attachment 2234031
View attachment 2234032

Also got some buttons,
an old US padlock,
a clock winder key,
a cute little porcelain knob,
a black powder container cap,
some turquoise bits,
a keyhole escutcheon,
a wedding band,
a live .44 Russian round and a .44 Webley shell
View attachment 2234033

Unfortunately, the lock was involved in a fire and the other side is kinda melty.
View attachment 2234034

The ring is very strange looking. It's non magnetic, but doesn't appear to be gold, silver, copper or brass. It has a weird grayish patina. :dontknow:
View attachment 2234036

This cool old kettle was sticking out of the soft ground.
View attachment 2234037

Here's all the stuff I left on site.
View attachment 2234038

I can just picture Bufort T. Justice hiding behind some cactus with his radar gun at the ready! :laughing7:
View attachment 2234039

It's currently raining with flood watch in that area, I can't wait to get back out there!
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 
That's a weird one from your description. I don't know why buy in my head came because of the colour and you saying its not the other things. "Did it come in contact with mercury"?
Long shot, but from my time on gold, could that be it?
Gold hitting mercury turns it grey.
Hoping im wrong.
Being gold that was in contact with mercury would not be a bad thing. You can easily torch it off in a well ventilated area.
 
I'm now thinking it's a very low karat gold. It takes about 10-15 seconds for the 10k acid to eat it up. Maybe 8k. :dontknow:
Still interesting to find out what it is as it doesn't fit the other possibilities.
Nice to find mystery things regardless of the outcome. Makes it good fun 😃
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom