sphillips
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Jan 4, 2008
- Messages
- 1,059
- Reaction score
- 1,127
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Western NC
- Detector(s) used
- Equinox 800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
Thx Don, the Cuban coins are easy, it’s the brass orientals I’m curious aboutDon......![]()
10 Centavos, Cuba
Detailed information about the coin 10 Centavos, Cuba, with pictures and collection and swap management : mintage, descriptions, metal, weight, size, value and other numismatic dataen.numista.com

Thx redcoat, didn’t have a clue. Seem to be made of brassAmazing what turns up in CoinStar machines. However, I don't think the Chinese cash is an original 1796-1820 piece. The style of engraving does vary over that time period, but I've never seen one with the characters as stylised as yours. Here's a comparison to a contemporary cash with a more typical style to the characters (yours on the left, rotated to be the correct way up):
View attachment 2057615
I think this is a much later 'copy' produced as a charm or good luck piece. Chinese people also give them as gifts on special occasions... birthdays, weddings, Chinese New Year or whatever.