What's new

More mid atlantic quartzite - big scraper or...?

discoidal roller

Jr. Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
101
Golden Thread
0
Location
Clarksburg, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled this out of the stream bank the other day, wish I had my camera with me at the time. If I do a google image search on "quartzite scraper", it doesnt really look like other examples out there, but it sure is sharp on 2 edges.
Thoughts or opinions? It does look nice under the cold winter sun.
 

Attachments

  • lrgquartzscraper001web.webp
    lrgquartzscraper001web.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 137
  • lrgquartzscraper002web.webp
    lrgquartzscraper002web.webp
    138.1 KB · Views: 118
  • lrgquartzscraper003web.webp
    lrgquartzscraper003web.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 139
  • lrgquartzscraper004web.webp
    lrgquartzscraper004web.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 122
  • lrgquartzscraper006web.webp
    lrgquartzscraper006web.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
It might be stock for usage, but I don't think it's a tool. Not a scraper. People, not nature, may have fractured it, but don't think it's intended as a tool itself. JMO.....
 
Well its quartz not quartzite. There is a difference between the 2 types. Quartz will fracture and break on its own in the weather changes. Id like to see the underside of it not just the top of it to get a better look. The top side is natural cortex showing. Maybe the bottom will look different.
 
you are right rock, quartz it is. heres a couple of shots of the "worked" side, along with a dreamer's sketch of what it might look like hafted. hard to tell with this material for sure - maybe its a scalper, not a scraper haha. Let me know if you'd like to see more...
 

Attachments

  • lrgquartzax007web.webp
    lrgquartzax007web.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 108
  • haftedsketch2.webp
    haftedsketch2.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 96
  • lrgquartzax008web.webp
    lrgquartzax008web.webp
    26 KB · Views: 115
A lot of quartz around my area with plenty of outcroppings. I don't see it as any type of tool.
 
If I was in the times way back when I would be happy to find something like that to dig a hole with but it shows no use wear on any of the edges so Im still thinking natural on it. It looks like "spider vein quartz" This type of quartz will fracture on its own but they did use it to make tools with if there was nothing else around.
Here is a few examples for you made of that type of quartz. Personal finds, HH rock
 

Attachments

  • 100_2052.webp
    100_2052.webp
    357.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 100_2091.webp
    100_2091.webp
    143.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2090.webp
    100_2090.webp
    156.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_2055.webp
    100_2055.webp
    267.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_2089.webp
    100_2089.webp
    139.5 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom