✅ SOLVED More mystery buttons?

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi-

These were found under an old house in Charleston. I'm pretty sure they're military and from the 1800s, and that's where my knowledge ends. One was actually found with some fabric still attached! They've been cleaned with some naval jelly.

At first, we thought they were all the same, but there are two different makers. The top two say "SCOVILL MF'G CO. WATERBURY" the other one says "HORSTMANN BROS & CO. PHIL"

photo (23).JPG photo (22).JPG

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cant help ya but dang....sweet !!!!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The are all 1875-to-1902 US Army "general service" buttons for Enlisted-men's ranks (meaning non-Officers).

They look similar to the 1854-1874 version, but that version did not have a "raised" shield. The 1875-1902 version's shield is high-raised from the eagle's chest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that yard of yours is producing some good relics! Hunting in South Carolina is awesome the soil is so rich and sandy you pull relics outta the ground like they were dropped an hour ago, gotta love it that is why i love hunting down there lot of history and artifacts with gold still left on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChasDigging

Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We became members of the local museum so eventually we'll actually know some of these things and can start posting on other boards! Thank you all for your help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread