Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Folks, I made it back over to the early 1900’s house again Thursday. It was a bit chilly in the mid-30’s that day. I’m still trying to find the engraved name plate that would have been attached to the Southern Cross of Honor Confederacy medal, so I concentrated a lot of my time in the trashy area where I dug the medal. Still no luck finding the name plate, but I did recover some other relics, and filled a bucket with at least 20 more lbs of trash and brass plumbing fixtures.

In speaking with the grandson, I learned where an old outbuilding and the garden used to be. Also, he gave me some of the family’s history, and did mention that he had two relatives that fought in the CW. At least one of them was from SC. I am currently working with another Tnet member that has an Ancestory membership to see if we can track down the person that this badge may have been presented to. THANKS to Breezie for the lead to the other Tnet member, who I will keep a secret at this time.

MY FINDS were:
*Five pieces of old silverware

*Large decorative pin/brooch with butterfly & flowers

*Very old looking religious medal

*”Cat’s Paw” rubber heals token

*Unknown decorative pin (?) with 2 stars on the back. (Any ideas?)

*Assorted odds-n-ends

*1928 Wheat (That makes 42 wheats pennies so far)

Sorry, nothing too exciting this time.

Thanks for l@@king,
MM

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 138
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 9

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that place is full of interesting stuff. Wish you luck with the ancestry route. Keep the good stuff coming my friend, Abe

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with the moth looks like an early1900s half of a sash buckle. The plated pin with the stars is art deco style, probably 1930s.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with the moth is a half of a sash buckle from the early 1900s. The plated pin is art deco style, probably 1930s.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that place is full of interesting stuff. Wish you luck with the ancestry route. Keep the good stuff coming my friend, Abe

Thanks Abe. That place has been full of neat stuff. I'll have to start gridding off the huge side yard (previously a garden) sooner or later. Has to be somewhat old as I've dug three horseshoes so far. Seems funny to be digging those in town, but I guess horses and buggies were the main form of transportation in those days. :thumbsup: Hopefully they were growing some silver coins in that garden. LOL
Have a good weekend,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with the moth looks like an early1900s half of a sash buckle. The plated pin with the stars is art deco style, probably 1930s.
Awesome Gunsil. Thanks so much for the info. -MM-

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey D,
Way to go on more neat finds! :thumbsup: The butterfly/moth is a BEE. During the Victorian period, whimsical jewelry became very popular in the 1880s with 1884 being the most prominent year. Nature pieces with flowers, bees, frogs, dragonflies, etc. were most popular. With that being said, I'm thinking your brass bee is older than the 1900s. I'd like to see a close-up pic of the back to confirm attachments.

Your religious medal looks to be St. Anne, grandmother of Jesus. Since religious medals have been made for hundreds of years, it hard to put a date on it.

:)
Breezie

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey D,
Way to go on more neat finds! :thumbsup: The butterfly/moth is a BEE. During the Victorian period, whimsical jewelry became very popular in the 1880s with 1884 being the most prominent year. Nature pieces with flowers, bees, frogs, dragonflies, etc. were most popular. With that being said, I'm thinking your brass bee is older than the 1900s. I'd like to see a close-up pic of the back to confirm attachments.

Your religious medal looks to be St. Anne, grandmother of Jesus. Since religious medals have been made for hundreds of years, it hard to put a date on it.

:)
Breezie

Breezie,
Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I had to take a nap. Must be getting old? :tongue3: I haven't cleaned the piece up much but here's a shot of the back. I'm pretty sure it was a large pin/brooch because I busted the pin bar off trying to clean it. That would be awesome if it were 1800's. :thumbsup:
I can't believe I didn't notice that was a BEE instead of a butterfly. DUH. I'll blame it on my bad eye. :laughing7:
-Doug-

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 116

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Cat Paw Man, you are still cranking out the finds there. That is a large amount of relics to find in a short period of time. Are sure this wasn't a CAT HOUSE at one time?-LOL. WTG, Q.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I see the back, it is a brooch. Sorry Breezy, you're off on this one. The insect in question is a moth by body and wing shape, and antennae. The jewels on the wings represent the colored spots on a moth's wings. Bees were popular, but this one is a moth which were also popular.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will BEE in here and say congrats to some cool relics. Wish I was hunting with you. I will moth on out now. Happy hunting.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I see the back, it is a brooch. Sorry Breezy, you're off on this one. The insect in question is a moth by body and wing shape, and antennae. The jewels on the wings represent the colored spots on a moth's wings. Bees were popular, but this one is a moth which were also popular.

Ditto!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
You are pulling some nice relics out of that place. It's like peeling an onion. Go back over the same place again and again and you will get deeper targets and the good old stuff.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Cat Paw Man, you are still cranking out the finds there. That is a large amount of relics to find in a short period of time. Are sure this wasn't a CAT HOUSE at one time?-LOL. WTG, Q.

Well Q, I haven't found any "Merry Widow" containers yet. LOL. I found enough wheat pennies in the yard. Maybe the "services" were a lot cheaper back then? :tongue3:
Good luck out on those CW spots this week. :thumbsup:
-DUHg-

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here's a nice bee brooch, complete with antennae that has the basic same structure as your & IAFurTrade's moth.
Hancocks & Co (Jewellers) Ltd.

If you GOOGLE Victorian Bee Brooches, then click on images you'll see the majority of the brooches recognized as 'bees' are shaped like MM find. If you then GOOGLE Victorian Moth Brooches, you'll see the majority are shaped differently. If we were in Zoology/Biology class, I would say MM's insect is shaped 'more' like a moth than a conventional honey bee, but since we're talking about Victorian 'nature' jewelry the shape lends itself to more bee-like. Ladies during the Victorian era tried to emulate Queen Victoria's fashions in clothes and jewelry, which is why the shape is in reference to the Queen Bee, Victoria. Even though the piece maybe shaped biologically like a moth, those were referred to as butterflies. Think about it, what woman wants to say she is wearing a moth? LOL

Breezie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are pulling some nice relics out of that place. It's like peeling an onion. Go back over the same place again and again and you will get deeper targets and the good old stuff.

Thanks D. :thumbsup: I'm not quiting until I get some early (Barber) silver. Take care of Quindy this week. :tongue3:
-Doug 2-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a nice bee brooch, complete with antennae that has the basic same structure as your & IAFurTrade's moth.
Hancocks & Co (Jewellers) Ltd.

If you GOOGLE Victorian Bee Brooches, then click on images you'll see the majority of the brooches recognized as 'bees' are shaped like MM find. If you then GOOGLE Victorian Moth Brooches, you'll see the majority are shaped differently. If we were in Zoology/Biology class, I would say MM's insect is shaped 'more' like a moth than a conventional honey bee, but since we're talking about Victorian 'nature' jewelry the shape lends itself to more bee-like. Ladies during the Victorian era tried to emulate Queen Victoria's fashions in clothes and jewelry, which is why the shape is in reference to the Queen Bee, Victoria. Even though the piece maybe shaped biologically like a moth, those were referred to as butterflies. Think about it, what woman wants to say she is wearing a moth? LOL

Breezie

Well done Breezie. You are right. Who would want to wear a MOTH. Bee- yes, butterfly- yes, moth - not so much. :laughing7:
Do you think it's late 1800's? :icon_scratch:
Thanks again Girl,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will BEE in here and say congrats to some cool relics. Wish I was hunting with you. I will moth on out now. Happy hunting.

Stan,
Please leave the comedy to me. :laughing7: I wish you were hunting with me too. I really enjoyed our hunt. It was great to see you and your wife. If you are ever around Asheville please look me up. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions