Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Folks, I made it back over to the early 1900โ€™s house again Thursday. It was a bit chilly in the mid-30โ€™s that day. Iโ€™m still trying to find the engraved name plate that would have been attached to the Southern Cross of Honor Confederacy medal, so I concentrated a lot of my time in the trashy area where I dug the medal. Still no luck finding the name plate, but I did recover some other relics, and filled a bucket with at least 20 more lbs of trash and brass plumbing fixtures.

In speaking with the grandson, I learned where an old outbuilding and the garden used to be. Also, he gave me some of the familyโ€™s history, and did mention that he had two relatives that fought in the CW. At least one of them was from SC. I am currently working with another Tnet member that has an Ancestory membership to see if we can track down the person that this badge may have been presented to. THANKS to Breezie for the lead to the other Tnet member, who I will keep a secret at this time.

MY FINDS were:
*Five pieces of old silverware

*Large decorative pin/brooch with butterfly & flowers

*Very old looking religious medal

*โ€Catโ€™s Pawโ€ rubber heals token

*Unknown decorative pin (?) with 2 stars on the back. (Any ideas?)

*Assorted odds-n-ends

*1928 Wheat (That makes 42 wheats pennies so far)

Sorry, nothing too exciting this time.

Thanks for l@@king,
MM

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 9
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another super hunt there, MM! Love the medal and token and brooch!! Keep diggin'..you're gonna find that silver too. :)
Nana
:hello:

Thanks Nanners. :thumbsup: I know you want that Alabama tax token I dug in this yard for your collection. :tongue3:
-DUHg-

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a nice bee brooch, complete with antennae that has the basic same structure as your & IAFurTrade's moth.
Hancocks & Co (Jewellers) Ltd.

If you GOOGLE Victorian Bee Brooches, then click on images you'll see the majority of the brooches recognized as 'bees' are shaped like MM find. If you then GOOGLE Victorian Moth Brooches, you'll see the majority are shaped differently. If we were in Zoology/Biology class, I would say MM's insect is shaped 'more' like a moth than a conventional honey bee, but since we're talking about Victorian 'nature' jewelry the shape lends itself to more bee-like. Ladies during the Victorian era tried to emulate Queen Victoria's fashions in clothes and jewelry, which is why the shape is in reference to the Queen Bee, Victoria. Even though the piece maybe shaped biologically like a moth, those were referred to as butterflies. Think about it, what woman wants to say she is wearing a moth? LOL

Breezie

Breezie, you seem like a nice person, and in general I really like most of your posts. But when it comes to jewelry ID I think you're often off. For instance you looked at google images for Victorian bee brooches to try to prove your "bee" assessment was correct. Did you also go to google images and look at Victorian moth brooches?? There you will see many with jeweled wings,whereas most bee wings are not jeweled and that moth brooches are called just that, not bee brooches. If you google Edwardian (the next regent after Victoria) bee brooches you will see pretty much the same style as the Victorian ones, yet they are all made after 1901. The OPs brooch is considered a moth brooch. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is in fact most likely a duck. When dealing with positive IDs of objects there is little room for conjecture. I have made jewelry professionally for over thirty five years. I had my own shop for six years. Right next door was an old well established antique and estate jewelry shop and I handled much of their repairs, conversions, and sizing. I spent a lot of time there and was well educated hands on by the owner in the field of antique and vintage jewelry. I am not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to get the factual info on the item in question to the OP. The "bulky" form of the moth brooch in question is not at all like the finer form of the earlier Victorian pieces either, it is a much later style, more like a mix of art nouveau and Edwardian tastes, early 1900, perhaps up to around the 1920s.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Breezie, you seem like a nice person, and in general I really like most of your posts. But when it comes to jewelry ID I think you're often off. For instance you looked at google images for Victorian bee brooches to try to prove your "bee" assessment was correct. Did you also go to google images and look at Victorian moth brooches?? There you will see many with jeweled wings,whereas most bee wings are not jeweled and that moth brooches are called just that, not bee brooches. If you google Edwardian (the next regent after Victoria) bee brooches you will see pretty much the same style as the Victorian ones, yet they are all made after 1901. The OPs brooch is considered a moth brooch. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is in fact most likely a duck. When dealing with positive IDs of objects there is little room for conjecture. I have made jewelry professionally for over thirty five years. I had my own shop for six years. Right next door was an old well established antique and estate jewelry shop and I handled much of their repairs, conversions, and sizing. I spent a lot of time there and was well educated hands on by the owner in the field of antique and vintage jewelry. I am not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to get the factual info on the item in question to the OP. The "bulky" form of the moth brooch in question is not at all like the finer form of the earlier Victorian pieces either, it is a much later style, more like a mix of art nouveau and Edwardian tastes, early 1900, perhaps up to around the 1920s.

Gunsil, it appears you have some sort of personal vendetta against me because in my last few posts on TNet you've nit-picked things I've said. Since you have chosen to go public with this, I too will address you in public. (My sincere apologies to the readers and Admins of Tnet.) As a Southern Lady, it would be against my up-bringing to tell where to go; therefore, why don't you put me on ignore then you won't have to be bothered with my posts.

The entire purpose of the WHAT IS IT forum area is to help others to find out WHAT IT IS everything else, whether it is history, dates, etc. is fluff. If you will scroll to your original post, you said it was a SASH BUCKLE, but I didn't jump down your throat and say NO it isn't. I politely asked Doug to post a pic of the back so I could confirm the attachment.

For the 5,263 posts I've made on TNet, the majority of those have been in the WHAT IS IT area and I have taken my time to HELP others find out what they have. Sometimes I'm right; sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes other posters are wrong, but I certainly don't point out their errors, call them by name, and make a major ordeal about it. We're all trying to HELP each other, not engage in a school yard 'he said, she said' situation.

As far as my credentials are concerned, I have never really shared them with the people on TNet, but I will say I have been in the antique business buying/selling antiques & collectibles for 42 years. Iโ€™ve sold everything from antique jewelry to classic cars. For many years I was a professional antique appraiser as well as a writer of a newspaper column. It was a question-answer column about antiques & collectibles; some of these articles were featured in national magazines. Other than teaching public high school for many years. I also taught classes at our local community college on Antique Furniture Refinishing and Interior Decorating with Antiques. In the 1980โ€™s my husband (who is a chemist) and I invented a furniture polish especially made to use on fine antiques.

BUT even with the above experience, I am still wrong or stumped on many of the items I see on TNet. At this point Gunsil, as Rhett Butler said, โ€˜Frankly, I donโ€™t give a d*mnโ€™ whether it is a moth or butterfly!
Sincerely,
Breezie

PS: In response to your statement: '
when it comes to jewelry ID I think you're often off.' Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you comment on my identification abilities. You're been a member of TNet for slightly over a year. Have you gone back and read all of my jewelry post to gain this information?

As far as your GOOGLE comment: If you'll go back and read my post, you will see I said to GOOGLE both Victorian Bee and Moth brooches.

There is no need to reply because I have you on ignore.

Sincerely,
Breezie

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil, it appears you have some sort of personal vendetta against me because in my last few posts on TNet you've nit-picked things I've said. Since you have chosen to go public with this, I too will address you in public. (My sincere apologies to the readers and Admins of Tnet.) As a Southern Lady, it would be against my up-bringing to tell where to go; therefore, why don't you put me on ignore then you won't have to be bothered with my posts.

The entire purpose of the WHAT IS IT forum area is to help others to find out WHAT IT IS everything else, whether it is history, dates, etc. is fluff. If you will scroll to your original post, you said it was a SASH BUCKLE, but I didn't jump down your throat and say NO it isn't. I politely asked Doug to post a pic of the back so I could confirm the attachment.

For the 5,263 posts I've made on TNet, the majority of those have been in the WHAT IS IT area and I have taken my time to HELP others find out what they have. Sometimes I'm right; sometimes I'm wrong. Sometimes other posters are wrong, but I certainly don't point out their errors, call them by name, and make a major ordeal about it. We're all trying to HELP each other, not engage in a school yard 'he said, she said' situation.

As far as my credentials are concerned, I have never really shared them with the people on TNet, but I will say I have been in the antique business buying/selling antiques & collectibles for 42 years. Iโ€™ve sold everything from antique jewelry to classic cars. For many years I was a professional antique appraiser as well as a writer of a newspaper column. It was a question-answer column about antiques & collectibles; some of these articles were featured in national magazines. Other than teaching public high school for many years. I also taught classes at our local community college on Antique Furniture Refinishing and Interior Decorating with Antiques. In the 1980โ€™s my husband (who is a chemist) and I invented a furniture polish especially made to use on fine antiques.

BUT even with the above experience, I am still wrong or stumped on many of the items I see on TNet. At this point Gunsil, as Rhett Butler said, โ€˜Frankly, I donโ€™t give a d*mnโ€™ whether it is a moth or butterfly!
Sincerely,
Breezie

PS: In response to your statement: '
when it comes to jewelry ID I think you're often off.' Perhaps you should get your facts straight before you comment on my identification abilities. You're been a member of TNet for slightly over a year. Have you gone back and read all of my jewelry post to gain this information?

As far as your GOOGLE comment: If you'll go back and read my post, you will see I said to GOOGLE both Victorian Bee and Moth brooches.

There is no need to reply because I have you on ignore.

Sincerely,
Breezie

Thanks Breezie. :thumbsup: You have been a HUGE help to me and many others here on Tnet. I greatly appreciate it.
Whatever it is on that pin, it's going to the property owner when I make them a relic display to show my appreciation.
-Doug-

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Breezie. :thumbsup: You have been a HUGE help to me and many others here on Tnet. I greatly appreciate it.
Whatever it is on that pin, it's going to the property owner when I make them a relic display to show my appreciation.
-Doug-

Doug,
You're most welcome and THANK YOU for everything you do. I'll be glad to remove my post if you like. I do apologize because I don't want to mar any part of the great finds you've dug in the 'Yard of Plenty.' I know the family will certainly appreciate your display. You're a good guy Charlie Brown!

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,
You're most welcome and THANK YOU for everything you do. I'll be glad to remove my post if you like. I do apologize because I don't want to mar any part of the great finds you've dug in the 'Yard of Plenty.' I know the family will certainly appreciate your display. You're a good guy Charlie Brown!

Breezie

No way Jose'. BTW- Thanks for sharing your background. I had no idea. You have lead an interesting life. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I am a big fan of Breezie. She has helped ID a lot of relics for my friends and me. Some times it is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your are { } than to open it and prove it.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Doug,

Breezie
I vote that you leave it. I love watching a blowhard get a well deserved spanking... lol... I don't even have an opinion on whether it's a bee, a moth, or a giraffe, but when someone feels the need to kick the door in, shove everyone aside, and start spouting off like their opinion is the only one that matters it rubs me the wrong way. Even if they're right (which is yet to be determined).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety there man:headbang:

Blaze

Thanks JB,
I need some OLD coins like you dig up North there. Coins that are older than Quindy that is. :tongue3:
Thanks for looking,
Doug

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used