What's new

more silver, n a couple proofs

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2009
Messages
1,915
Reaction score
120
Golden Thread
0
Location
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on tuesday I went and did a little road trip. the first bank I went to only had one roll of halves. I drove to a few more banks, totalling in 590 in half dollars. I also got some more ike dollars, $10 worth.
the halves produced some silver.
1 63 franklin
12 40% kens. the single roll I got from the first bank had 10 silvers, very good roll.
out of the Ikes I got 2 more 72 high relief modified coins.

Today I went around and dumped some coin, and picked up some more. I got $342.50 in halves. I also managed to get 80 more in large dollars. They were all ikes.

The halves produced 2 40%
2 proofs- 1980 and a 1993, both in perfect shape. So not bad on the halves.

The ikes I got 9 more of the 72 high relief modified. Does anyone know much about the 72 Ike dollars?? In my book it says there is a 72 high relief worth $175 in MS63. Then it says there is a high relief modified worth $40 in MS63. And it says there is also a 72 low relief which is the most common for that year, not really worth much more than face in MS.

I stopped at a coin shop yesterday to ask about the ikes. They had a 72 low relief going for $6.75, and it wasn't even in as good of shape as the ones I have that are high relief. They didn't have much info for me. Any help is appreciated guys, I have a whole bunch of ikes that I don't want to get rid of till I know what they're worth.
 
Upvote 0
Ohh, I almost forgot. I got my fist canadian half today. I was dumping in my banks coin machine, and my 4 year old daughter was pulling coins out of the reject bin. She yanked out a 68 canadian half, and a bunch of canadian dimes and pennies. So I guess you could say she found it. I thought it was a neat find. It's in BU condition too.
happy hunting all!
 
Nice scores on the road trips! :thumbsup: I wish I could help you with the Ike question, but I have no knowledge of the 72 high reliefs.
 
Nice finds Tim. I have been getting lots of Ike's myself lately. Ike's can be a hard find at times, I don't really want the Ike's I hope to find a old Silver Dollar to be mixed in with them, lol.
 
I got a few $1000.00 bags a couple months ago. Didn't find any silver in them. They are really heavy too.
 
The 1972 Eisenhower Dollars are usually called Variety I, II and III, or Type I, II and III. The type II (which I assume is your 'high relief') is the key coin. They are quite easy to determine if you know what you're looking for. Try a google search for what you're looking for and you will find the differences laid out clearly. I will post a link later tonight when I'm on my laptop...I have some good sites saved that will help you.
 
there is a high relief, which is the most valuable. and there is a high relief modified, which is still worth quit a bit in MS. I just want to know what they are worth in AU, my book doesn't say. I found a bunch of them though, are they worth keeping?
 
DrDetector said:
The 1972 Eisenhower Dollars are usually called Variety I, II and III, or Type I, II and III. The type II (which I assume is your 'high relief') is the key coin. They are quite easy to determine if you know what you're looking for. Try a google search for what you're looking for and you will find the differences laid out clearly. I will post a link later tonight when I'm on my laptop...I have some good sites saved that will help you.

http://www.supercoin.com/iketypes/

This walks you through determining which you have.
 
I've seen this page before. To be honest it doesn't help all that much. It says nothing about which ones are more valuable. My book doesn't call them type l or type ll either. It says high relief or high relief modified, or low relief. I just want to know which ones are worth hanging on to. I have 2 of the 3 types.
 
timbobwey said:
I've seen this page before. To be honest it doesn't help all that much. It says nothing about which ones are more valuable. My book doesn't call them type l or type ll either. It says high relief or high relief modified, or low relief. I just want to know which ones are worth hanging on to. I have 2 of the 3 types.

This is copied and pasted:


It is therefore only the 1972 Philadelphia coins that are found with more than one reverse type. To summarize:

* 1972 Type 1 - Low Relief Reverse
* 1972 Type 2 - High Relief Reverse struck with Proof die
* 1972 Type 3 - High Relief Reverse Modified

And then:

SCARCITY


1972 Type 1 is very common in typical condition, but is the most poorly produced date of the entire Ike series. Typical condition coins are simply awful, making gem condition coins very difficult. Despite the high mintage, time may well prove this coin to be the most difficult of all coins to find in the highest (MS66+) grades.

1972 Type 2 is the king of Ikes, it's the series' "3-legged Buffalo" or "55 doubled die Lincoln", created with only one die. It enjoys a combination of scarcity and popularity and is one of the few business strike Ikes to bring a premium in any condition. The Type 2 is generally found nicer than other types (if you can find one at all), but with the low mintage there is just a tiny fraction available to search. In lower grades there is no question the Type 2 is the most valuable type, but in the highest grades the Type 1 is a worthy contender.

1972 Type 3 is by far the easiest of the three to find in gem grade. However, "easy" is a relative term when you are talking about early Philly Ikes.

Keep in mind that the 1972 Philly date, even with all three types combined, has for years proven to be the most difficult of all Ike dates to find in gem condition. In fact only a handful of PCGS MS66 examples have ever been graded, and of course none higher.



These are answers to your exact questions. The type II or High Relief is the valuable one in circulated condition.
 
according to the book, the type 3 is worth $40 in mint condition, and the type 2 is worth $175. So My question is "is the type 3 worth anything in AU condition?" Because the 2 and 3 are both worth way more than the type 1. My book only shows values for MS63, doesn't show anything lower for that year of ikes. I've looked all over the internet for answers, I've asked coin dealers. No one can give me a straight answer. Thanks for the link, but it's not really telling me anything I didn't already know. I guess I will keep all the ones I found, maybe it will pay off.
 
timbobwey said:
according to the book, the type 3 is worth $40 in mint condition, and the type 2 is worth $175. So My question is "is the type 3 worth anything in AU condition?" Because the 2 and 3 are both worth way more than the type 1. My book only shows values for MS63, doesn't show anything lower for that year of ikes. I've looked all over the internet for answers, I've asked coin dealers. No one can give me a straight answer. Thanks for the link, but it's not really telling me anything I didn't already know. I guess I will keep all the ones I found, maybe it will pay off.

Ok. From what I've seen, based on buying and selling prices, the type 3 or High Relief Modified is basically only worth face value in anything other than MS. Same for type 1 or the Low Relief. You may be able to sell for $1.50 or $2 at most but not like the type 2 (High Relief) which sells for a decent premium in all conditions.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom