OP
OP
A

ArmyVeteran84

Feb 13, 2024
Cool. That is a crazy looking marble.
Hello NorlLdigcollector

Yes, it is, lol.
Here is a few more pictures of that same marble.
I have more cool looking marbles that I'll be putting on tomorrow.

Take care
Jim

Attachments

• 20240124_192416.jpg
    20240124_192416.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240124_192319.jpg
    20240124_192319.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240124_192501.jpg
    20240124_192501.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 7

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
At a glance, it looks like a natural stone agate marble. If it's an old one, and assuming it's stone rather than glass, it would have been ground down by hand. You might be able to see little faceted areas on its surface under a bright lamp. Modern agate spheres are machine-made and have completely smooth surfaces.

OP
OP
A

ArmyVeteran84

Feb 13, 2024
I was once delighted with having a cigar box full of pretty marbles.
Hello tamrock

Wow! That's cool. I would definitely be in shock, kinda like a kid in a candy store if I came across a box of marbles, lol.. Do you still come across them every once in awhile?
I just recently started collecting them, had a few when I was younger but nothing like a box of them.
I collect vintage jars as well and the 1/2 gallon jar that I picked up at an antique shop was full of marbles.

Thank you for sharing that.
Jim
I was once delighted with having a cigar box full of pretty marbles.

OP
OP
A

ArmyVeteran84

Feb 13, 2024
At a glance, it looks like a natural stone agate marble. If it's an old one, and assuming it's stone rather than glass, it would have been ground down by hand. You might be able to see little faceted areas on its surface under a bright lamp. Modern agate spheres are machine-made and have completely smooth surfaces.
Hello redden

I will look at it more closely and look for those. I do know what you mean though, I just wasn't sure. I have several that I just acquired.
Very appreciated for this information. This definitely helps me look for certain ones. I will post more once I figure out this site better, lol.. Still learning

Take care
Thanks again for your help.
Jim

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello tamrock

Wow! That's cool. I would definitely be in shock, kinda like a kid in a candy store if I came across a box of marbles, lol.. Do you still come across them every once in awhile?
I just recently started collecting them, had a few when I was younger but nothing like a box of them.
I collect vintage jars as well and the 1/2 gallon jar that I picked up at an antique shop was full of marbles.

Thank you for sharing that.
Jim
Playing marble was still a thing in 1963 and they sold them in these little bags at the five & dime or couner stores, which were your convenience stores in those days. At least that the kind of neighbor I remember in the Chicago area where we lived when I was 7 years old.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, a Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia from another veteran. Thank you for your service. That was indeed a rare looking marble. I once had a lot of marbles, but my wife said that I lost them all. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
A

ArmyVeteran84

Feb 13, 2024
Very nice !
Hello E-Trac-Ohio

Thank you very much for your comment. Appreciate it!

Jim
Playing marble was still a thing in 1963 and they sold them in these little bags at the five & dime or couner stores, which were your convenience stores in those days. At least that the kind of neighbor I remember in the Chicago area where we lived when I was 7 years old.
Hello tamrock

That's so cool to hear about back then.
I didn't show up until three years later, lol.. but living in Milwaukee, when I was old enough that is, went to an old corner store for candy and whatever Mom sent me up there for. Heck, I probably should've looked around for those marbles. Better than candy, huh? Lol..
Right down the block was an old bakery, yum! that I had to stop at, which was on my way home, lol..
The good Ole days...
Thanks again for sharing that with me, was so wonderful to hear. Could definitely talk for hours.

Good talking to you.
Jim

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello E-Trac-Ohio

Thank you very much for your comment. Appreciate it!

Jim

Hello tamrock

That's so cool to hear about back then.
I didn't show up until three years later, lol.. but living in Milwaukee, when I was old enough that is, went to an old corner store for candy and whatever Mom sent me up there for. Heck, I probably should've looked around for those marbles. Better than candy, huh? Lol..
Right down the block was an old bakery, yum! that I had to stop at, which was on my way home, lol..
The good Ole days...
Thanks again for sharing that with me, was so wonderful to hear. Could definitely talk for hours.

Good talking to you.
Jim
There's a field out back of me and in the NW corner folks in around the 1st quarter of the 20th century must've dumped their trash. All that's left is scraps of crockery, pieces of old glass bottles, bisque toys and bits of rusted metal. It's been plowed over now a hundred years and still is today, but what old marbles that got tossed away faired pretty well. Here a few I've found out in the field.

Attachments

• IMG_20150322_111050814.jpg
    IMG_20150322_111050814.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 10

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread