What's new

Morgan Silver Dollar & Other Old Coins

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
10,261
Reaction score
23,224
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
XP Deus 2
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted around a old house and a 1800's Church last week.

This is a very sad story with a kind of a happy ending.
Dug what looked like heavily rusted piece of round steel - (97-98 on the Deus - but it sounded real nice).
When I got home I did a Magnet test expecting it to be Ferrous metal - but it's not.
Thinking it could be a large Bronze Token or something else worth keeping - I put in the Electrolysis Bath.
Then I started to seeing Silver coming through and the Reeded edge.
Someone drilled a hole in this coin and I'm guessing it must have been in a house fire ?
But I did get very lucky in one way ... the only readable detail on this coin is the date - 1880.
Also, a few stars on either side of the date are still visible - (see photo of no dug coin).
Wow ... talk about good luck and bad luck being wrapped up in one find !

1880 - Morgan Dollar - (with severe fire damage)
1906 - Indian Cent
1928 - Buffalo Nickel
Small Sterling Silver Ring - (with the Zodiac sign Aquarius)

Good Hunting !
 

Attachments

  • MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - A.webp
    MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - A.webp
    54.7 KB · Views: 227
  • MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - B.webp
    MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - B.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 188
  • MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - C.webp
    MAH - 1880 - Morgan Dollar - Feb. 2024 - C.webp
    136.9 KB · Views: 182
  • MAH - 1880 - Mogan Dollar - Feb. 2024 -D.webp
    MAH - 1880 - Mogan Dollar - Feb. 2024 -D.webp
    119 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 83
That's a cool recovery of the toasted Morgan silver.
Have you weighed it as of yet-just wondering how much has been lost to the fire vs the true weight of a Morgan.
Good idea pepperj - just weighed my fire damaged Morgan.

Morgan Silver Dollar (uncirculated) = 26.73 grams
Morgan Silver Dollar (Fire Damage & Drilled Hole) = 25.32 grams
 
Last edited:
Hunted around a old house and a 1800's Church last week.

This is a very sad story with a kind of a happy ending.
Dug what looked like heavily rusted piece of round steel - (97-98 on the Deus - but it sounded real nice).
When I got home I did a Magnet test expecting it to be Ferrous metal - but it's not.
Thinking it could be a large Bronze Token or something else worth keeping - I put in the Electrolysis Bath.
Then I started to seeing Silver coming through and the Reeded edge.
Someone drilled a hole in this coin and I'm guessing it must have been in a house fire ?
But I did get very lucky in one way ... the only readable detail on this coin is the date - 1880.
Also, a few stars on either side of the date are still visible - (see photo of no dug coin).
Wow ... talk about good luck and bad luck being wrapped up in one find !

1880 - Morgan Dollar - (with severe fire damage)
1906 - Indian Cent
1928 - Buffalo Nickel
Small Sterling Silver Ring - (with the Zodiac sign Aquarius)

Good Hunting !
A unique patina on that coin, even though sad...
 
I wholly agree of fire damage. I did find a British six pence in a vacant lot here at one time, bubbled up the same way, and like your Morgan, I could just make out "six pence", and "1910".
 
I give you much credit for taking the time to clean up that Morgan. I probably would have chucked it in the trash thinking it was just a piece of junk. Well done!
 
Hunted around a old house and a 1800's Church last week.

This is a very sad story with a kind of a happy ending.
Dug what looked like heavily rusted piece of round steel - (97-98 on the Deus - but it sounded real nice).
When I got home I did a Magnet test expecting it to be Ferrous metal - but it's not.
Thinking it could be a large Bronze Token or something else worth keeping - I put in the Electrolysis Bath.
Then I started to seeing Silver coming through and the Reeded edge.
Someone drilled a hole in this coin and I'm guessing it must have been in a house fire ?
But I did get very lucky in one way ... the only readable detail on this coin is the date - 1880.
Also, a few stars on either side of the date are still visible - (see photo of no dug coin).
Wow ... talk about good luck and bad luck being wrapped up in one find !

1880 - Morgan Dollar - (with severe fire damage)
1906 - Indian Cent
1928 - Buffalo Nickel
Small Sterling Silver Ring - (with the Zodiac sign Aquarius)

Good Hunting !
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom