What's new

Mosasuar Jaw Fragment

Stone

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
309
Reaction score
291
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went and hunted a creek today not expecting much but this was a pleasant surprise. I believe it to be a jaw fragment of a mossasuar not %100 certain though. I also found other interesting fossils as well and will post photos as soon as they are cleaned.
 

Attachments

  • 1461191747665.webp
    1461191747665.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 141
That is a great find, I not sure what it is, but it almost looks Ice Age to me. What part of Ms. are you in, I'm in Natchez. Also there is a face book page called Mississippi fossil & artifacts, if you post it there George Phillips the head man over the Ms. museum of natural science in Jackson and a lot of other people that know a great amount on Ms. fossils are on that site and would be glad to ID it for you. PM me if you would like.
 
I found it in Cotton Plant not far from the place they do Christmas in Cotton Plant which is Union County but I live in Blue Mountain. I found it in an area covered in cretaceous period coral and various gastropods. There is also part of the tooth on it. It looks to be about the right shape of a Mosasuar tooth.
 
You are right in the heart of the area for that type of fossil, I did not see the tooth. I carry oil to Corinth every now an then and always stop off at Blue Springs and look around. I plan on making a trip up that way for a few days just to hunt fossils and artifacts in a few creeks, I have found where a old pit was dug by a company years ago north of Columbus and I am working on permission to hunt it. I want to take my grandkids to the fossil park on 2 mile creek and do some screening. Would love to see some more photos of your find.
 
Here are the other finds from the same day.
 

Attachments

  • 1461345855060.webp
    1461345855060.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 1461345867624.webp
    1461345867624.webp
    49 KB · Views: 118
  • 1461345878914.webp
    1461345878914.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 1461345891274.webp
    1461345891274.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1461345906224.webp
    1461345906224.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1461345936164.webp
    1461345936164.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 113
And a few others from Frankstown and Blue Springs.
 

Attachments

  • 1461346073518.webp
    1461346073518.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 1461346093184.webp
    1461346093184.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 1461346107264.webp
    1461346107264.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 124

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom