SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted these two incidents before, but they need to be told again. Not so scary, well actually the second incident was!

One of my brothers got a summer job helping clean county parks and while raking a beach, he finds an early 1800s large cent. He told me where he was so I decide I will be there at sunup on Saturday.
I pull into the parking lot and there's already some cars there so I figure they are probably fishing. I get down to the beach and see two couples swimming. No problem so I turn on my detector and as soon as I start swinging the coil on the beach, I hear screaming.
I look up and these two couples are skinny-dipping and are most likely still hammered from last night. They came running out of the lake and said they thought I was going to shock the lake (sorry no pics). I told them that they shocked me!
My brother tells me about another park, so I figure I'll hit it next Saturday again at sunup. This park has a biking trail that circles a huge lake and this time there's no other cars in the parking lot. I head down towards the lake and I can see two people biking towards me on one of those tandem bikes. As they get closer, I see they are elderly and the only thing they are wearing are shoes and a smile! They both wave as they ride by and I'm dumbfounded. Don't remember if I ever found anything detecting.
The next week my brother mentions another park and I respond with, "Don't say anymore, I'm done!"

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say last Saturday was my scariest moment when the UPS truck drove down the street past my house and had to do a U turn while my wife was backing out of the driveway, luckily she made it around the corner before she saw him drop off my new Deus 2. I carry pepper spray and sometimes a gun when I'm detecting though, not too worried.
I'm confused.... was the spray & pistols for the wife :) when I was training, I taught em to announce, spray throw the can at em and run!

Now that I think of it there's another scary moment! You deploy spray, I mean it's literally dripping off his head! He doesn't flinch or blink! What do you do next? Repeat after me Our father who art in heaven........

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm vonfused.... was the spray & pistols for the wife :) when I was training, I taught em to announce, spray throw the can at em and run!

Now that I think of it there's another scary moment! You deploy spray, I mean it's literally dripping off his head! He doesn't flinch or blink! What do you do next? Repeat after me Our father who art in heaven........
:laughing7:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in NY...and with 5 pistols - and I can't carry sh-t.
Hopefully in the summer the US Supreme Court will nullify the stupid "must have a reason to carry" laws in NY!!!
I live in New York sounds like enough reason to me!

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have posted these two incidents before, but they need to be told again. Not so scary, well actually the second incident was!

One of my brothers got a summer job helping clean county parks and while raking a beach, he finds an early 1800s large cent. He told me where he was so I decide I will be there at sunup on Saturday.
I pull into the parking lot and there's already some cars there so I figure they are probably fishing. I get down to the beach and see two couples swimming. No problem so I turn on my detector and as soon as I start swinging the coil on the beach, I hear screaming.
I look up and these two couples are skinny-dipping and are most likely still hammered from last night. They came running out of the lake and said they thought I was going to shock the lake (sorry no pics). I told them that they shocked me!
My brother tells me about another park, so I figure I'll hit it next Saturday again at sunup. This park has a biking trail that circles a huge lake and this time there's no other cars in the parking lot. I head down towards the lake and I can see two people biking towards me on one of those tandem bikes. As they get closer, I see they are elderly and the only thing they are wearing are shoes and a smile! They both wave as they ride by and I'm dumbfounded. Don't remember if I ever found anything detecting.
The next week my brother mentions another park and I respond with, "Don't say anymore, I'm done!"
One of my most bone chilling experiences was with 2 Rottweilers! I was out arrowhead hunting in Southern Illinois in the middle of a 60 acre field when I looked up and saw 2 Rottweilers running at me in a dead run! as they neared I knew that I had no chance of out running them so I stood my ground and In a loud voice screamed at them to stop and to my surprise that is what they did! About 10 feet from me! The owner was flying across the field on his ATV and got control of them and before leaving said to me I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T BIT YOU!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides poisonous snakes and the stinging hair caterpillars I was given permission beside Chickamauga on a farm.
Problem was the guy who gave me permission did not own it and the owner came in and pulled a gun and called the police.
Once I told them how I came to be there the owner understood as he was feuding with that guy who gave me permission.
I went back to the original guys house but he would not come to the door. I was not happy.

Just being in the backwoods is dangerous and I often don't wear head phones so I pay more attention and possibly drive out trouble ahead of me so I do not have to hurt anyone.
Be safe out there!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides poisonous snakes and the stinging hair caterpillars I was given permission beside Chickamauga on a farm.
Problem was the guy who gave me permission did not own it and the owner came in and pulled a gun and called the police.
Once I told them how I came to be there the owner understood as he was feuding with that guy who gave me permission.
I went back to the original guys house but he would not come to the door. I was not happy.

Just being in the backwoods is dangerous and I often don't wear head phones so I pay more attention and possibly drive out trouble ahead of me so I do not have to hurt anyone.
Be safe out there!
Had a similar situation myself but not at Chickamauga or as bad as yours.
I did hunt a huge farm adjoining the battlefield for several days. Still lots of stuff left there I am sure.

Last edited:

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my access to a honey hole was blocked by construction. I could still get to it from the other side but had to wade across a creek. It looked maybe 2 feet deep in middle, so I went across with all my gear - holding my metal detector in my hand. It was not waterproof - only the coil. As I got to about the middle of the creek, I came across larger rocks with slick algae on them and the creek was moving faster that I thought. I almost went down several times but managed to get across without a water landing. It was something I did not repeat upon my way back home - finding another path leading to a road with bridge. Caution: slippery when wet was the lesson for that day. L

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About ten years ago I was living (briefly) in Alabama and went detecting with Tnet member Nana and her female friend and my wife to hunt an old mining camp. We got permission from a lovely old couple and since it was the dead of summer we asked if they minded if we hunted into the nighttime to beat the heat. They didn’t mind at all. Sweet folks. Well eventually their son and daughter in law pull up and say “oh what are y’all doing?” And we have a pleasant conversation with them. It’s almost dark. They then leave and we keep digging. Well two hours later the son shows up again, all hopped up on some sort of drug, maybe meth, and out of his mind and toting a gun.

He calls out to us and says “I thought I told you to stop digging.” (He never did—we had permission from everyone). We said we’re leaving now and don’t want any trouble. He started waving the gun around erratically and pointing it at us so I just looked at the three ladies and pointed to my headlamp and we all three cut the lamps off. Figured he couldn’t point the weapon at us that way. We got the hell out of there. That was one of the scariest experiences I ever had. Two others came close but none was as scary as that.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say last Saturday was my scariest moment when the UPS truck drove down the street past my house and had to do a U turn while my wife was backing out of the driveway, luckily she made it around the corner before she saw him drop off my new Deus 2. I carry pepper spray and sometimes a gun when I'm detecting though, not too worried.
Traveler777 This has to be TOPS !!! Talk about LIFE THREATENING I am JUST GLAD you ESCAPED UNSCATHED !!!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About ten years ago I was living (briefly) in Alabama and went detecting with Tnet member Nana and her female friend and my wife to hunt an old mining camp. We got permission from a lovely old couple and since it was the dead of summer we asked if they minded if we hunted into the nighttime to beat the heat. They didn’t mind at all. Sweet folks. Well eventually their son and daughter in law pull up and say “oh what are y’all doing?” And we have a pleasant conversation with them. It’s almost dark. They then leave and we keep digging. Well two hours later the son shows up again, all hopped up on some sort of drug, maybe meth, and out of his mind and toting a gun.

He calls out to us and says “I thought I told you to stop digging.” (He never did—we had permission from everyone). We said we’re leaving now and don’t want any trouble. He started waving the gun around erratically and pointing it at us so I just looked at the three ladies and pointed to my headlamp and we all three cut the lamps off. Figured he couldn’t point the weapon at us that way. We got the hell out of there. That was one of the scariest experiences I ever had. Two others came close but none was as scary as that.
I would have to saysomeone HIGH on SOMETHING waving a gun is something i have never experienced or WANT TO EXPERIENCE !!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect Cape Cod waters A lot...not to far from where the great whites roam
over the last few yrs...their favorite snacks - seals - have been coming more and more into where i hunt - think their food source has moved in too
i never used to see fish much and rarely saw seals - but lately i have so there is a chance the sharks will be coming soon

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Iv had run in's with big brown snakes a few times, one slithered across my boot. But we get those here in our backyard too.
Worst experience was once detecting near the Pyrenees ranges here, i was about 1 1/2 km from the car. I disturbed a feral bee hive, they went insane and swarmed me, i was getting stung all around my neck and face, I could hear them in my hair. Half way across the area I threw the detector and pick so I could run as fast as I could to the car. When I got to it some, maybe just a dozen by now had followed me, before it was dozens upon dozens. I sat in the car for about 15 to 20 minutes till I didn't see any then quickly ran and grabbed the detector, I was running on adrenaline at this stage still. Couldn't see the pick and didn't care. By the time im back at the car im feeling pretty sick and my heart's racing. I look in the mirror and see my face swollen as well as my neck. My neck moved like rubber.
It was a 45 minute drive to town and im getting sicker every kilometer I drove, the Dr saw me straight away and gave me an injection and some tablets to take. I have a very healthy respect for wild feral bees now.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
over the last few yrs...their favorite snacks - seals - have been coming more and more into where i hunt - think their food source has moved in too
i never used to see fish much and rarely saw seals - but lately i have so there is a chance the sharks will be coming soon
Watch out for them, come out of nowhere. Did you hear about the latest death here in Australia by a Great White. Terrifying to hear the witness accounts of it.
Stay safe.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the late 70's I was detecting with my brother-in-law at a city hall. There was the usually memorial for the 2 WW veterans that fell.
This guy comes up to me, and says I was desecrating the graves of the war heroes that are buried there.
We explain that nobody is buried there and he mumbles that we were grave robbers.
It was obvious the guy had been drinking and we kept a eye on him.
A while later I was retrieving a target, and he comes walking right up to me, and tries to kick me in the head while I was on my knees.
I kind of rolled and came up jabbing the guy in the mid chest with the 12" screwdriver.
He went down like a flopping like a fish out of the water.
I guess the hit stopped his heart-:dontknow:
The police came, an ambulance, I has was going to be arrested for assault with a weapon.
Then all these folks came forward, and explained to the cops what actually happened.
They charged the dude instead.
After that I switched to a 6" bladed hunting knife for retrieval. Guys would see me retrieving targets and not get close at all. Out in the park systems its the two legged creatures I cautious of the most.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper-2 Do you KNOW why great White's Swim a close circle around a human with there Dorsal fin out of the water 3 or 4 times before they eat the human?

Humans TASTE better with the CRAP SCARED out of THEM :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU BE CAREFUL 111

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 70's I was detecting with my brother-in-law at a city hall. There was the usually memorial for the 2 WW veterans that fell.
This guy comes up to me, and says I was desecrating the graves of the war heroes that are buried there.
We explain that nobody is buried there and he mumbles that we were grave robbers.
It was obvious the guy had been drinking and we kept a eye on him.
A while later I was retrieving a target, and he comes walking right up to me, and tries to kick me in the head while I was on my knees.
I kind of rolled and came up jabbing the guy in the mid chest with the 12" screwdriver.
He went down like a flopping like a fish out of the water.
I guess the hit stopped his heart-:dontknow:
The police came, an ambulance, I has was going to be arrested for assault with a weapon.
Then all these folks came forward, and explained to the cops what actually happened.
They charged the dude instead.
After that I switched to a 6" bladed hunting knife for retrieval. Guys would see me retrieving targets and not get close at all. Out in the park systems its the two legged creatures I cautious of the most.
WOW My reason for this post was for others could see what can happen if we let our guard down Pepper thatks for your post.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for them, come out of nowhere. Did you hear about the latest death here in Australia by a Great White. Terrifying to hear the witness accounts of it.
Stay safe.
Here is a thought. Great White Sharks do not come into my living room so I do not go into theirs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions