Most expensive coins

rob.k1978

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2007
Hi all.Few days ago,i went to bookstore and grab the book about coins.There were some coins,that are even worth 100,000$.They were usually old dates,and some of them us coins.Now,after seeing many of you posting their coins here on forum,i never heard anyone saying"oh my god,i found very expensive coin" or something like that.And i know,that some of you are able to find very old coins,even from other countries here in US.So,now i have 3 questions.What was the most expensive coin,you have ever found,is it possible to found expensive coin(other then go to coin dealer and buy one),and I would like to know,what you think is top 10 list, of most expensive coins.thank you

rob.k1978 said:
Hi all.Few days ago,i went to bookstore and grab the book about coins.There were some coins,that are even worth 100,000$.They were usually old dates,and some of them us coins.Now,after seeing many of you posting their coins here on forum,i never heard anyone saying"oh my god,i found very expensive coin" or something like that.And i know,that some of you are able to find very old coins,even from other countries here in US.So,now i have 3 questions.What was the most expensive coin,you have ever found,is it possible to found expensive coin(other then go to coin dealer and buy one),and I would like to know,what you think is top 10 list, of most expensive coins.thank you

There is a thread on here for the most expensive coins found, its been going for a couple years.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,2142.0.html

Yes its possible to find expensive coins, look in "Best Finds". Just recently an 1877 Indian head cent was found.

My top ten list would be-

1909SVDB Lincoln cent
1893S Morgan dollar
1895 Morgan
1889CC Morgan
1870S Seated liberty dollar
1901S Barber Quarter
1870CC Seated Quarter
1874CC Seated Dime
1802 halfdime
1916 Double die Buffalo

No particular order

1) 1883-CC Silver Dollar (from my grandparents)
2) Depends on your definition of expensive. $100,000 NO. $100 Maybe.
3) In the back of the redbook they list the top 250 US coin auction prices. The 3 most famous and most expensive US coins would probably be:
- 1933 $20 Gold Piece
- 1804 Silver Dollar
- 1913 Liberty Nickel

AND NO YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIND ANY OF THESE!!!! :'(

my friend i talked with today has been detecting since the seventies and has found Not 1 but several Gold coins
id say they were all valuble

Jeffro said:
rob.k1978 said:

There is a thread on here for the most expensive coins found, its been going for a couple years.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,2142.0.html

Yes its possible to find expensive coins, look in "Best Finds". Just recently an 1877 Indian head cent was found.

My top ten list would be-

1909SVDB Lincoln cent
1893S Morgan dollar
1895 Morgan
1889CC Morgan
1870S Seated liberty dollar
1901S Barber Quarter
1870CC Seated Quarter
1874CC Seated Dime
1802 halfdime
1916 Double die Buffalo

No particular order
Jeffro do you have the ten listed? Or just your top 10 favorites?

1933 double eagle Gold
the most expensive coin in the world
it just sold for 7.5 million dollars at the auction.
heres a pic
and the canadian coin the worlds biggest coin made of solid gold weighs 220 lbs its a 1 million dollar coin

Attachments

• 1933_double_eagle_obv.jpg
    1933_double_eagle_obv.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • largest_coin.jpg
    largest_coin.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 957
  • 1933_double_eagle_obv.jpg
    1933_double_eagle_obv.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,029
  • largest_coin.jpg
    largest_coin.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 895
shanegalang said:

Those are just my favorites. I collect Morgans, Buffalos, wheaties, and am just getting started on the seateds.... so those are just the ones I want.... I'm sure there are lots more expensive coins out there.

Jeffro said:
shanegalang said:

Those are just my favorites. I collect Morgans, Buffalos, wheaties, and am just getting started on the seateds.... so those are just the ones I want.... I'm sure there are lots more expensive coins out there.
O.k I too collect coins. I love Morgans! and have cent books nearly filled up minus the 1955 double die, 1931 S and 1914 D and of course the 1909 S vdb. But I do have the 1909 S wheat.......bringing nice prices on EBAY yet I wont let her go. I drive a Taxi Cab here in Baton Rouge La and work for a lady who drives and dispatches out of her car. She had a guy about a year ago pay 21 dollars with Morgan Dollars!!!! I have bought every one from her! The passenger claimed he worked at a place that crushes cars and had found them under a back seat. Either he stole them or someone had stashed them there....either way he didn't know much about silver or was just plain ignorant. They didn't seem to be toned/tarnished or anything like if they had been under a car seat for a long time. I have sense sold some of the Morgans that I had 2 of. Maybe we could trade some or what not if you have any you would part with. I also have a new presidential Washington smooth error dollar. and numerous other coins and bills. Now if I could just find some with my detector. Have a good one.Shane

the most expensive coin would be a 1964 peace dollar if you found one. personally i think that one will be found, like the 1933 $20 gold coin there had to be a few that got out. but people are not saying anything because they fear that the government saying it is stolen will take it back, witch they would.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back