What's new

Mother Mary Locket and Rosary!

pganjon

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Messages
573
Reaction score
425
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello, I wanted to Post this find I made back near the end of November. I would have done it sooner, but just didn't get around to it :dontknow: This I have to consider my best find! At a small local park in the center of town, I decided on running a high sensitivity on my Ace 250. I got a signal that bounced between quarter and nickle on my meter and said about 8 inches. After about 5 inches, I lost the signal :icon_scratch: I decided to switch to relic mode and picked the signal back up again, except instead of a low iron tone, I got a good metal tone :icon_thumleft: Two more inches and I saw what I thought was a big silver button. I was seeing this from the back and when I flipped it over, I saw Mary on front. I saw a couple small links on top to let me know that this was a locket of some type that broke off a long while ago. I didn't look at it in detail until I got home. After a lite cleaning, I decided to try and open it to see if there was any information inside. It would open about 1/4 inch, and that's when I saw the rosary inside :headbang: Emptying it out, I saw APPACA Germany stamped inside, (German Silver). The rosary is beautiful and made out of the same metal. Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in. My guess is maybe from the 1920's but not sure. Sure made my day :icon_sunny: Thanks for reading, Paul :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2227.webp
    IMG_2227.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_2230.webp
    IMG_2230.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_2231.webp
    IMG_2231.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_2237.webp
    IMG_2237.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 882
Upvote 0
WTg and Please explain this thanks Chug


Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in!!
 
Chug and Red said:
WTg and Please explain this thanks Chug


Since German silver is not silver at all, I was surprised at the beautiful shape it was in!!
Yes , German Silver is also called nickel silver, which is usually a formulation of 60% copper, 20% nickel, and 20% Zinc. Internet says it is considered a subset of Brass. I know, I was a little disappointed too, but it is cool that it survived well!
 
That is a way cool locket .....with the nickel for reference, really puts it in perspective. Great quality and a good find. So cool that you stayed with it and dug a maybe.

HH
gregd
 
That is why I love this site, Learning is Great!!!! Thank you for the Info!!! Chug!!!
 
Neat find but, I think it is real silver! HH, Mike
 
Good find :icon_thumright: Very good detail on that piece for it's size. Congrats!!! Enjoyed the post, thanks for sharing and HH, BS
 
Bavaria Mike said:
Neat find but, I think it is real silver! HH, Mike
You may be right, I'm just going by whats stamped inside and the internet. I think some German silver items had a silver plating on them. Either way, Thanks everyone ! Paul :coffee2:
 
Congratulations, That is a very special find and in perfect shape. Arty
 
I am a seminarian Mount Saint Mary's Seminary in Maryland. My Grandfather had one of these. Is there anyway you would be willing to sell this item? It would mean a lot if you could.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom