Motor bicycle plate

rvrpilot

Jun 6, 2008
I found this awhile back and thought it was pretty neat,it is a 1916 Illinois motor vehicle/motor bicycle registration tag, across the bottom it says motor vehicle and bicycle law,it appears to be made out of aluminum. Has anyone else every come across one of these before?

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 352

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
I have found a couple of those type for cars, but never seen one for "MOTOR BICYCLE" before.
That's a cool find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tim

Upvote 0

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like they were pretty rare... Motorcycle aluminum registration disks were only required there from 1911 to 1917. Great find!
-whynot

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around the turn of the century alot of states but mostly cities taxed anything that moved. That tag (tax tag)was probably for a car or motorcycle but it was also issued for the newest form of powered transportation, the motorized bicycle. Several companies sold engines for bicycles starting about 1914. The most popular was the Smith Motor Wheel. I try to get some pics later. Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread