Move boulders with gear that can be packed in.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been thinking about what I will need to move boulders, or rocks with what I can carry in a pack. However, the pack also has other tools. Pans, (2) 2.5 gal. buckets, either a 24" Bazooka sniper or a Keene A51a fitted with Gold hog mats. A 6' sling. A small strap wratchet 900lb come along. 4 small metal pulleys. A 1" tiedown strap. 50' of 3/8" nylon braided rope. A Gad bar, a rock hammer, and assorted crevacing tools and a metal detector. Food and a gallon of water.
I am interested in Technique. I saw a technique where the strap was tightened around s boulder, then the come along went over the top to the far side. It pulled the boulder and rolled it. Of course, building a cobble ramp, digging under etc all can help. I saw a technique that uses a rope and a stick. Using a loop around a boulder to a tree. One uses the stick to "wind" the rope in the middle. Surpisingly, this method seemed to have the best torque ratio I've ever seen. I am asking for practical ways to use this equipment to leverage my equipment to move boulders in a stream. I also read the New 49rs piece on this. They recomended finding the gold line and making sure not to roll the boulder right into the gold. Well, I cant seem to find a thread on this here. Maybe there is one. Ok, so what can one do with this equipment? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We're talking about what ONE man can pack in, not what rocks were overlooked. Some people just refuse to read the whole thread....

You got my list of tools how far you want me to pack it. Up hill or down.
I forgot to add my drywasher.
Gt...

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We're talking about what ONE man can pack in, not what rocks were overlooked. Some people just refuse to read the whole thread....
Good point however when backhoes and blasting started to be talked about.......just saying not everyone wants to move out of the way larger boulders. Some may look at the larger boulders as good targets of holding values.

Just backpacking a metal detector, rock pick, and a hand star drill may work for some people.

Last edited:

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a generator, rock drill, drill bits, blasting heads, etc... the Sierra Blaster is not a light weight tool by any means and that's why I didn't mention it... The expanding rock bar that you bought, TahoeGold, is OK but the head and arm does get clogged with dirt and it takes work to free up the head... We've had one for years and I still consider it a good tool, even with the sticking problems. It packs in small and is the next tool up from a gad bar.
Here is our Sierra Blaster, it is a great tool and I use it for boulder reduction.

With a generator, rock drill, drill bits, blasting heads, etc... the Sierra Blaster is not a light weight tool by any means and that's why I didn't mention it... The expanding rock bar that you bought, TahoeGold, is OK but the head and arm does get clogged with dirt and it takes work to free up the head... We've had one for years and I still consider it a good tool, even with the sticking problems. It packs in small and is the next tool up from a gad bar.
Here is our Sierra Blaster, it is a great tool and I use it for boulder reduction.

Hi Reed, thanks for your input. And thank you for your videos you make public on many gold mining issues. BTW you are quite the videographer and director having been on one of your shoots.

Thought would do a breakdown of various boulder moving situations. Hard to believe it has be that long but have moved boulders for gold for 40 years now. It can be the difference between a succesful or not successful mining season. This is what have observed, and hope is useful to others.

Situations:

A. One person one day in and out.

B. One person stashing and multiple trips.

C. Multiple people one day in and out.

D. Multiple people stashing and multiple trips.

For D it is amazing what can be done. The show Gold Rush Whitewater is a good example and know of several operations in Sierras with as much or more equipment than that show. In 1980s a 3 man operation by Bob Vance in Yuba area (he has since passed) was lifting boulders 5 or maybe even 10 times bigger that "Goldrush Whitewater" ever has done, clean out of the water with gas winch and cable across canyon (think clothesline cable was 3/4"), then pulled sideways and dropped out of the river. This again was all hand packed in by just 3 people in very rough and steep terrain. They got 72 oz in one summer. And BTW I like the Whitewater show, oftens feels like am there watching as have done similar stuff. One mistake is they had a taut clothesline cable, that is why it broke. Suggest about a 10 degree droop in line and it will put maybe 1/4 the tension on cable for lifting the same sized rock. Bob was a good friend and this was pre small blast systems so when he hit 10 foot boulders he dynamited them as had a license since 1930s, when he worked in the Ruby Drift Mine. If anyone wants to see awesome gold nuggets search on "Ruby Drift Mine" shows some monsters. One pic shows two monster nuggets in a pan, those just might be Bob's hands in photo think he was mining superintendent at the time.

For above cases with just 1 person winches are out, even with stashing. And a pain to set up even with a multiple person if in and out in one day. Also for (A) one person in and out with a breaker bar is hard, I do not do it unless am going to leave it in.

But what about drilling and small blasting? For A, B and C it can and is done. It is not cheap if you consider under $1,000 to be cheap. But to show in what extreme conditions SDS drilling can be done in, know a mountain climber who owns a rock and gem shop in AZ. He does El Capitan and similar climbs and in some vertical sections there are no cracks for pitons.

What do they do? They rock bolt, they drill holes with battery powered SDS drills and screw in screws and bolts, this is common practice. In old days the hand jacked holes. He told me he could put in 40+ holes on one lithium battery. These go for about $200 or higher. If have guts to am planning to rock bolt into a double waterfall, the middle pool on a gold stream, but with an expert as have no "roped" mountain climbing experience and it could easily be fatal if something goes wrong.

So bottom line SDS drilling is totally doable with one person in and out. Maybe 6 pounds with battery. A Bosch 18V goes for $199.

So you can drill, how about blast? That is heavier than drill but by not all that much if no air compressor is involved (electric fire systems). And and this is a big AND, it eliminates a lot of other weight. Will explain. In the attached video by Reed the first boulder is blown by a 4 head system. Afterwards the pieces are so small (20-30 pounds) you can just pick then up and thrown them away as what you see in video. So no 40 pound breaker bars, winches, or even a come a long (which pound for pound is lightest way I know to "winch") or cable/chain. Everything you see happen in video can be done by a single head system, it just takes multiple single head blasts. I personally use a 2 head Aluminum system if backpacking in for really big boulders as it gives directional control and extra head maybe weights 3-4 pounds. But one head definitely does the job and costs less and weighs less. How much does it weigh? Not sure, but just priced shipping and it said $16 for out of state UPS, so it is not all that much.

OK to find out put a two head Stainless Steel head blasting system on my bathroom scale. To my surprise it only weighed 18 pounds. Aluminum weighs much less, so a single head aluminum system is maybe 11-12 pounds. How about electricity for firing the blast? The 18 volt battery on that Bosch does have enough power to fire a single head, so you can use alligator clip wires to get from battery to std 3 prong on the trigger. Bottom line is for much less weight than a single breaker bar you can be drilling and blasting. So say 20-25 pounds for both and cost wise about $950 for both. The breaker bar does cost a lot less if that is an obstacle.

What else do you need? Gloves, this method of reducing big boulders to things one person can pick up or roll leaves sharp edges so you want gloves for sure. Maybe forgot something but having done it the weight sounds about right.

What about electricity if you need 110AC for other things? Well this is what I do, have a "Earthquake" 800 watt 4 cycle that puts out 12v and 110. which weighs 20 pounds and it is very quiet. Then use a 1000 watt Bestek Inverter off that as my 110AC SDS drill will trip the generator, with a 3-4 pound motorcycle 12 V battery between them as a buffer, the gen charges the battery, which powers inverter would puts out 1000 continuous or 1300 watts surge.

Maybe sounds Rube Goldberg but it works, lightest way to have continuous 110 in backcountry know of. For B,C and D gold mining situations it totally works. 900 watt AC SDS drill have works just fine with this and you can use other 110 tools like chain saw and impact wrench to bolt things etc. And as mentioned in prior post if you can rock bolt boulders it works better IMHO than trying to get a chain/cable around a boulder that does not slip on you. Well that's about all I know about backwoods boulder removing.

Cheers

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Reed, thanks for your input. And thank you for your videos you make public on many gold mining issues. BTW you are quite the videographer and director having been on one of your shoots.

Thought would do a breakdown of various boulder moving situations. Hard to believe it has be that long but have moved boulders for gold for 40 years now. It can be the difference between a succesful or not successful mining season. This is what have observed, and hope is useful to others.

Situations:

A. One person one day in and out.

B. One person stashing and multiple trips.

C. Multiple people one day in and out.

D. Multiple people stashing and multiple trips.

For D it is amazing what can be done. The show Gold Rush Whitewater is a good example and know of several operations in Sierras with as much or more equipment than that show. In 1980s a 3 man operation by Bob Vance in Yuba area (he has since passed) was lifting boulders 5 or maybe even 10 times bigger that "Goldrush Whitewater" ever has done, clean out of the water with gas winch and cable across canyon (think clothesline cable was 3/4"), then pulled sideways and dropped out of the river. This again was all hand packed in by just 3 people in very rough and steep terrain. They got 72 oz in one summer. And BTW I like the Whitewater show, oftens feels like am there watching as have done similar stuff. One mistake is they had a taut clothesline cable, that is why it broke. Suggest about a 10 degree droop in line and it will put maybe 1/4 the tension on cable for lifting the same sized rock. Bob was a good friend and this was pre small blast systems so when he hit 10 foot boulders he dynamited them as had a license since 1930s, when he worked in the Ruby Drift Mine. If anyone wants to see awesome gold nuggets search on "Ruby Drift Mine" shows some monsters. One pic shows two monster nuggets in a pan, those just might be Bob's hands in photo think he was mining superintendent at the time.

For above cases with just 1 person winches are out, even with stashing. And a pain to set up even with a multiple person if in and out in one day. Also for (A) one person in and out with a breaker bar is hard, I do not do it unless am going to leave it in.

But what about drilling and small blasting? For A, B and C it can and is done. It is not cheap if you consider under $1,000 to be cheap. But to show in what extreme conditions SDS drilling can be done in, know a mountain climber who owns a rock and gem shop in AZ. He does El Capitan and similar climbs and in some vertical sections there are no cracks for pitons.

What do they do? They rock bolt, they drill holes with battery powered SDS drills and screw in screws and bolts, this is common practice. In old days the hand jacked holes. He told me he could put in 40+ holes on one lithium battery. These go for about $200 or higher. If have guts to am planning to rock bolt into a double waterfall, the middle pool on a gold stream, but with an expert as have no "roped" mountain climbing experience and it could easily be fatal if something goes wrong.

So bottom line SDS drilling is totally doable with one person in and out. Maybe 6 pounds with battery. A Bosch 18V goes for $199.

So you can drill, how about blast? That is heavier than drill but by not all that much if no air compressor is involved (electric fire systems). And and this is a big AND, it eliminates a lot of other weight. Will explain. In the attached video by Reed the first boulder is blown by a 4 head system. Afterwards the pieces are so small (20-30 pounds) you can just pick then up and thrown them away as what you see in video. So no 40 pound breaker bars, winches, or even a come a long (which pound for pound is lightest way I know to "winch") or cable/chain. Everything you see happen in video can be done by a single head system, it just takes multiple single head blasts. I personally use a 2 head Aluminum system if backpacking in for really big boulders as it gives directional control and extra head maybe weights 3-4 pounds. But one head definitely does the job and costs less and weighs less. How much does it weigh? Not sure, but just priced shipping and it said $16 for out of state UPS, so it is not all that much.

OK to find out put a two head Stainless Steel head blasting system on my bathroom scale. To my surprise it only weighed 18 pounds. Aluminum weighs much less, so a single head aluminum system is maybe 11-12 pounds. How about electricity for firing the blast? The 18 volt battery on that Bosch does have enough power to fire a single head, so you can use alligator clip wires to get from battery to std 3 prong on the trigger. Bottom line is for much less weight than a single breaker bar you can be drilling and blasting. So say 20-25 pounds for both and cost wise about $950 for both. The breaker bar does cost a lot less if that is an obstacle.

What else do you need? Gloves, this method of reducing big boulders to things one person can pick up or roll leaves sharp edges so you want gloves for sure. Maybe forgot something but having done it the weight sounds about right.

What about electricity if you need 110AC for other things? Well this is what I do, have a "Earthquake" 800 watt 4 cycle that puts out 12v and 110. which weighs 20 pounds and it is very quiet. Then use a 1000 watt Bestek Inverter off that as my 110AC SDS drill will trip the generator, with a 3-4 pound motorcycle 12 V battery between them as a buffer, the gen charges the battery, which powers inverter would puts out 1000 continuous or 1300 watts surge.

Maybe sounds Rube Goldberg but it works, lightest way to have continuous 110 in backcountry know of. For B,C and D gold mining situations it totally works. 900 watt AC SDS drill have works just fine with this and you can use other 110 tools like chain saw and impact wrench to bolt things etc. And as mentioned in prior post if you can rock bolt boulders it works better IMHO than trying to get a chain/cable around a boulder that does not slip on you. Well that's about all I know about backwoods boulder removing.

Cheers
A lot of 'Old timers' just went out on a day trip with just a rock pick, star hand drill, and gold pan. Both the rock pick and star drill can make good pry-bars up to a point. The gold pan was for processing. The newer tool on the 'Block' is a metal detector that can be used for any mineral deposits placer / hard rock up to a point.

Last edited:

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since minerrick admitted he has never gotten any gold after removing that big of a boulder, then he's definitely not your best salesman for the product, unless he does it for the fun of blowing things up.

Mike, whatever gold I find, I am not going to post it on this forum. And if I did find big gold, I certainly wouldn't post it here. I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. Stop focusing on something you know NOTHING ABOUT. I have used this rock cracking system for no less than 500 times. I have a bit of a clue about what I am talking about and you have NONE! Until you have actually seen what this thing has done IN PERSON, you may want to reflect on all the negativity you are putting out there. You are too focused on pronouncing me as a fraud, and not paying any attention to what I am saying. Give up on getting me to talk about any gold I am finding; it won't happen. And for your sake, that is why I was being sarcastic with you- suggesting that I wasn't finding anything- just to get you to shut up for one second to read my posts.

Mike, what do you do when you encounter a 8 foot long, 5 foot wide boulder that is half buried and sitting on top of a bedrock crack on your claim? My guess is you just look at it. Your come along won't touch it as you cannot get a grasp on it and even if you did, the come along wouldn't touch it pulling it out of the ground. What do I do? I pull out my portable sds drill (from my Drill package weighing maybe 10 lbs for everything), and quickly drill 2 holes centered equally down the center of the rock put $3 worth of charges and set them off, and then I have 20 pieces of rock to clean up. No fuss, no muss. Meanwhile, 'Ol Mike691 and beating away on the edge of the rock with his breaker bar or moving down the river to find an easier rock to move, right?

There are a lot of aspects about this device I will ALSO not talk about on this open forum. Maybe make friends with Reed and go with him to his claim and maybe he can show you some of the obvious aspects of using this device that you apparently cannot seem to grasp. I will say it again, in case you didn't read it the first time- it is a game changer. I cannot fix stupid.... take your wrecking bar and beat the hell out of those rocks, and be satisfied that you are using the best tool- I don't care. Personally, I try to work smarter, and this is what I use.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah forgot one thing, there are battery powered blast boxes that weigh less than a pound and put out 300 volts DC, which generates more power on blasts as gets the powder to burn much hotter. They go for a little over $100 think are of Capacitor/Discharge type with 2 AA batteries. Many backwoods blasters use them.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah forgot one thing, there are battery powered blast boxes that weigh less than a pound and put out 300 volts DC, which generates more power on blasts as gets the powder to burn much hotter. They go for a little over $100 think are of Capacitor/Discharge type with 2 AA batteries. Many backwoods blasters use them.

Dana, that is what I use and it works great. I can get maybe 30 blasts out of a single battery charge.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike, whatever gold I find, I am not going to post it on this forum. And if I did find big gold, I certainly wouldn't post it here. I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. Stop focusing on something you know NOTHING ABOUT. I have used this rock cracking system for no less than 500 times. I have a bit of a clue about what I am talking about and you have NONE! Until you have actually seen what this thing has done IN PERSON, you may want to reflect on all the negativity you are putting out there. You are too focused on pronouncing me as a fraud, and not paying any attention to what I am saying. Give up on getting me to talk about any gold I am finding; it won't happen. And for your sake, that is why I was being sarcastic with you- suggesting that I wasn't finding anything- just to get you to shut up for one second to read my posts.

Mike, what do you do when you encounter a 8 foot long, 5 foot wide boulder that is half buried and sitting on top of a bedrock crack on your claim? My guess is you just look at it. Your come along won't touch it as you cannot get a grasp on it and even if you did, the come along wouldn't touch it pulling it out of the ground. What do I do? I pull out my portable sds drill (from my Drill package weighing maybe 10 lbs for everything), and quickly drill 2 holes centered equally down the center of the rock put $3 worth of charges and set them off, and then I have 20 pieces of rock to clean up. No fuss, no muss. Meanwhile, 'Ol Mike691 and beating away on the edge of the rock with his breaker bar or moving down the river to find an easier rock to move, right?

There are a lot of aspects about this device I will ALSO not talk about on this open forum. Maybe make friends with Reed and go with him to his claim and maybe he can show you some of the obvious aspects of using this device that you apparently cannot seem to grasp. I will say it again, in case you didn't read it the first time- it is a game changer. I cannot fix stupid.... take your wrecking bar and beat the hell out of those rocks, and be satisfied that you are using the best tool- I don't care. Personally, I try to work smarter, and this is what I use.
Very good point minerrick and your input is valued by this one for this one has not used the sds drill system gold or no gold that you describe.
Thank you minerrick for posting as what you share could save one heck of a lot of work beating on a boulder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DREDGERDANA, Now this was GOLDEN!! Thank you very much for sharing your experience and advice. With information like this, I can make a plan that works for myself. I even have more information if I should want to go bigger. This is fantastic. THANK YOU!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DREDGERDANA, Now this was GOLDEN!! Thank you very much for sharing your experience and advice. With information like this, I can make a plan that works for myself. I even have more information if I should want to go bigger. This is fantastic. THANK YOU!
Yes there is no one set of tools for every day trip because one's intended target may not be the same every where. Even what the 'Old timers' used may not be the best choice.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, Rick I haven't come across a rock on my claim that couldn't be moved with bars. I'm not saying that some day I may need to blast one out of the way, but for now it's not the case. The point of the thread is light weight and packable. My opinion is this is not, at least until you know for sure. Not even you pack all that in until you have tested and sampled and are reasonably sure there will be a payout at the end of the day.
True, you are not obligated to show your gold. I'm not interested in where you choose to mine, but when you tout the product as packable then tell your stories, you could back them up and make them more believable with a money shot. You do whatever you choose. I'll do what I do. If I ever have a need to remove a boulder that can't be rolled, I won't rule out Sierra blaster or some other method. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So far, Rick I haven't come across a rock on my claim that couldn't be moved with bars. I'm not saying that some day I may need to blast one out of the way, but for now it's not the case. The point of the thread is light weight and packable. My opinion is this is not, at least until you know for sure. Not even you pack all that in until you have tested and sampled and are reasonably sure there will be a payout at the end of the day.
True, you are not obligated to show your gold. I'm not interested in where you choose to mine, but when you tout the product as packable then tell your stories, you could back them up and make them more believable with a money shot. You do whatever you choose. I'll do what I do. If I ever have a need to remove a boulder that can't be rolled, I won't rule out Sierra blaster or some other method. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Would like to add to the concept of a day trip. Have run in to some people that consider a 'Day trip' is with animals such as horses / mules and will use the animals to help roll boulders with no pry-bars needed.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Reed Lukens, ( Can I call you Reed?)
You have one of these eh? So, it gets clogged does it? Ok, that makes sense. Good to know! I suppose theres a way to clear it and I'll figuer that out. Hey, this is supposed to be fun guys. I appreciate the concern for some here for the financial safety of others. I know there are possible sales traps in this world. Lets, all get back to peaceably talking about this. I know how some have been seriously burned by shiesters. I can see that the SB can actually be packable. I'm not putting a dollar restriction on this idea. Why would that help. This thread is about packable gear. Not affordable gear. For example, can $15 bar find gold. You bet!! Do I think I can find enough gold in the life time of this $60 bar? Heck yeah. Will I feel like I have a better chance of finding $60 over that $15 bar. You bet! If I found a spot that is showing PAY and warrents spending $1200 for a SB set up, and hiring a couple friends to pack a generator for a drill, would I? I CERTAINLY WOULD!! So, keep these ideas coming. Even though I am talking about a one man operation, a side note or two on what to expect to do AFTER I find a pay spot, certainly motivates me to do to the one man part of the work! It's really a great thread guys. I'm getting a lot of sage advice and am very very glad to have you all adding to this thread. :occasion14:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have one of these eh? So, it gets clogged does it? Ok, that makes sense. Good to know! I suppose theres a way to clear it and I'll figuer that out. Hey, this is supposed to be fun guys. I appreciate the concern for some here for the financial safety of others. I know there are possible sales traps in this world. Lets, all get back to peaceably talking about this. I know how some have been seriously burned by shiesters. I can see that the SB can actually be packable. I'm not putting a dollar restriction on this idea. Why would that help. This thread is about packable gear. Not affordable gear. For example, can $15 bar find gold. You bet!! Do I think I can find enough gold in the life time of this $60 bar? Heck yeah. Will I feel like I have a better chance of finding $60 over that $15 bar. You bet! If I found a spot that is showing PAY and warrents spending $1200 for a SB set up, and hiring a couple friends to pack a generator for a drill, would I? I CERTAINLY WOULD!! So, keep these ideas coming. Even though I am talking about a one man operation, a side note or two on what to expect to do AFTER I find a pay spot, certainly motivates me to do to the one man part of the work! It's really a great thread guys. I'm getting a lot of sage advice and am very very glad to have you all adding to this thread. :occasion14:
Glad you and others got some very good information from your thread topic. Would like to point out if you ever run into anyone who does tree thining operation with mules or horses you may be able to use that person for a "Day trip operation" for less money then this for smaller boulders, dead tree roots etc. during off times. Just a idea that will not work every where.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Exactly Mikep691, the SB can be brought in by one guy if that bridge is there to cross. The weight is doable. At that point, if there's pay, one guy could "stash" equipment and make a couple trips solo. Thereby keeping all the gold a secret. And getting it all there by themselves and having the whole 6 pack of beer to boot. The aluminum heads and electronics are totally packable. The rock could be pulverized to be hand moveable. No need for moving equipment to be packed in. This would make sense in a decidedly payable spot. And this is my point. Lets talk about equipment for payable spots. This would further my knowledge on how to get'er done. That's my hope. Info on what exactly is possible solo. Yeah, I started on just prospecting. But, just look at the possibilities now put forth for the solo miner in this thread. I like it! I never really knew what to do once I actually FOUND gold. But, now I have some pretty fine options and can plan a lot better for when that happens. AND, it's getting me motivated! Bring on the stories of how it's done guys! Thank you! TG

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tahoegold and minerrick, I will apologize for taking it too far. I guess taking a simple prospecting trip to sample went over some heads. There will always be that time when we need more manpower and more tools to accomplish our goals. But for just keeping it simple going in the first time, I personally ain't packin' 100 pounds of blasting equipment. Once I have proven the need for such equipment, then sure, it's GAME ON. Bring some friends and draw straws to see who caries the beer chest.

I'm sure your new bar will work for you right up until it don't. You'll get your money's worth.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly Mikep691, the SB can be brought in by one guy if that bridge is there to cross. The weight is doable. At that point, if there's pay, one guy could "stash" equipment and make a couple trips solo. Thereby keeping all the gold a secret. And getting it all there by themselves and having the whole 6 pack of beer to boot. The aluminum heads and electronics are totally packable. The rock could be pulverized to be hand moveable. No need for moving equipment to be packed in. This would make sense in a decidedly payable spot. And this is my point. Lets talk about equipment for payable spots. This would further my knowledge on how to get'er done. That's my hope. Info on what exactly is possible solo. Yeah, I started on just prospecting. But, just look at the possibilities now put forth for the solo miner in this thread. I like it! I never really knew what to do once I actually FOUND gold. But, now I have some pretty fine options and can plan a lot better for when that happens. AND, it's getting me motivated! Bring on the stories of how it's done guys! Thank you! TG
Here is a idea as a "Pry-bar" that has not been pointed out yet. First get a 2' - 3" aluminum pipe with a threaded end. Second thread on a iron / steel cap end on to the end of the aluminum pipe. Third get a 2 - 6 pound hammer end with cord or maybe a attached stick to form a ram rod as a portable 'Rock crusher / pry bar'. Thus you will have two tools in one for prospecting and producing gold.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very kind words Tahoegold, thanks!

After looking at the weight of stuff you were carrying in thought would share my experiences through the years. Wish knew this stuff when was 20. Another two things that does not relate to boulder moving but wish knew back then in regards to dredging is knowing how deep bedrock is before you start, systematic sampling and the bottom is likely good if the top is.

Will start with sampling, if you have a stream claim and quickly grid say in 50 foot corners and count colors and record in a notebook first before mining you will pick up the paystreak and unexpected deposits. Then you start with the very best place in the claim. The normal method is guessing and dredging/sluicing bad ground and moving and moving wasting time.

If a big operation is planned say going thru maybe 10 feet of gravel to bottom, knowing bottom depth is crucial, it may be 30 feet not 10 feet. There are ways to tell, expensive but in a way cheaper is to rent a refraction seismograph and it will tell you how deep. And on hillsides it can pick up old channels. Know of two dredgers that spent 6 months going down 27 feet through cemented gravel and never hit bottom. Bob Vance asked me to do it on section of his claim and told him 33 feet so he avoided that area. I no longer have access to a seismograph and am busy with other things but for these situations worth looking at. BTW shallow bedrock is better than deep generally, as much more gold travels over a shallow bedrock section, deep bedrock maybe once in a thousand years, shallow maybe every 5 years. This is contrary to most thinking.

And lastly why dredge thru barren garvel, pick a place with gold on top, that way you get paid to dredge and IMHO the bottom should and tends to be good, it is a drop area for gold. I know Tahoegold you are not dredging there, but there may be some value in this.

Also for a book Chris Ralph's "Fistfulls of Gold" is best have ever read, can not praise it enough. Worth time to read.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread