Moved signal

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
Wasn't sure where to post this.
I've been detecting going on 30 years and run into these situations regardless of detector brand/model.
There's a couple of kinds of signals that I just can't figure out. I'll get into them one at a time in different posts. First one......Solid signal. ( Tones vary ) Then, when pin pointing, it is in a different area. Close , but not in the same spot as the signal. Anyone understand this enough to explain it ?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's a couple of kinds of signals that I just can't figure out. I'll get into them one at a time in different posts. First one......Solid signal. ( Tones vary ) Then, when pin pointing, it is in a different area. Close , but not in the same spot as the signal. Anyone understand this enough to explain it ?

Could be there's two different targets there, close together. Are we
talking inches apart..like one or two inches?

Have you dug these signals, and if so what did you find? Do you re-check the spot once you've taken a targets out?

I believe there are times, depending on soil, etc., when a targets will form
am "aura" around it when some of the item dissolves into the soil.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes the pinpoint function can hit a target off the edge of the coil. That could cause what you describe. If it's an iron object that's been in the ground for a few years and formed a halo, it can give a signal on the edge of the halo and not directly above the iron target. This is easy to diagnose because the iron target will pinpoint inches from where you hear the tone. As DizzyDigger was saying, there could be two targets. A small piece of wire/foil/trash will be picked up in pinpoint mode when it normally wouldn't give a tone in detecting mode depending on your setup/sensitivity, so you don't know it's there.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Chasin ghosts! Sometimes.
A cloud of iron dust has been one.
Multiple targets another.
Sometimes tiny multiple targets!
Something "loud" nearby can pull me off too.

Keep at it. There's been times it took a bit of time to sort out a small area.
Too high a sensitivity has caused the worst ghosts being elusive.

OP
OP
N

Neshannock Jim

Jun 5, 2022
Could be there's two different targets there, close together. Are we
talking inches apart..like one or two inches?

Have you dug these signals, and if so what did you find? Do you re-check the spot once you've taken a targets out?

I believe there are times, depending on soil, etc., when a targets will form
am "aura" around it when some of the item dissolves into the soil.
About a foot away Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions