Moving large rocks and boulders underwater?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering what the prefered methods for moving large rocks and boulders in deep holes is? I have a spot I expect will be full of large cobbles that will need moved to get at the bottom of the hole. It is safe to assume these will be in the 2.5'-5' size range. I have a few mental images of rope and pulley systems. Probably from one of the little spiral bound books. But I am still wondering. About things like. Are straps or cargo nets better? Does anyone use air bladders to float cobbles out?

There is a hole on my claim that is on a contact zone on an inside bend and I don't think it's ever been dredged. I would really like to be the first person to ever see the bottom of it.

I'm just hoping there aren't any like this one down there.
aDSCN0846.jpg

The tree's wedged up against the giant slab are full sized second growth cedars 5' thick (for scale).

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gas powered winch. Reed has some really good info on his You Tube channel for you

ratled

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't offer any better advice than what ratled posted above.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You're basically stuck with 3 options as far as getting the rocks out of the way.

1) use a winch or block & tackle - this would be the preferred method assuming you have another helper there to work out of the water. It is faster, and the equipment is less expensive.

2) use an air bag - It's probably out on YouTube somewhere, but back when Mike Rowe was on Dirty Jobs, there was an episode where he was diving in a lake with his 'teacher' and they were replacing concrete mooring blocks. The other diver showed how to attach a hook to the eye bolt in the concrete, then he used a scuba tank to inflate the air bag. He said the air bag would make it possible to raise up to 1,500 lb. blocks, if I remember correctly.

3) get some dynamite!

As far as rigging goes, nylon netting would be far superior to simple ropes, although you may need ropes to maneuver the rock(s) into a net for hoisting.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING to remember is to keep the rock BELOW you at all times! :icon_biggrin:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also used hydraulic jacks and timber levers.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Air Lift Bags Boulder Bags

Boulder Bags derive their name from gold dredgers and nugget hunters who use them for lifting boulders in the shallow rivers of California's mother-lode country. They are designed to get a maximum amount of lift from a single lift-point in a minimum depth of water. For example, the 2000 pound Boulder Bag gets its total lift in less than 3 feet of water

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comealong, choker or tow straps, wire rope, 4" snatch block, some anchor shackles, the comealong works best for me,
a snatch block on a tree by the road and a long cable, pull with your truck or winch.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used all of the above. Airbags require depth and I use heavy duty trucker tie down straps and cheap at swaps/ garage sales at a couple of bucks. They conform to the boulders and DO NOT snap back and cut you to pieces like cables can and DO. Single man mining and my old hand winch will move anything in your pic no problem. BUT must be ratchet style that lets you back crank also to relieve pressure to unhook as some el cheapo don't. John

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
you just need a good lift bag; does not hurt to have a salvage pontoon and shallow water bags laying around for river boulders. you just need it moved over a little, bags are easy to pinch, squeeze, lift or press out.

Subsalve USA Underwater Lift Bags & Carter Lift Bags

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Pic?? ..Oh, yeah - DUH!! - I keep images disabled! Silly-Tongue-Out smiley.png

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a lot of times you can just move a rock out of the way with a long pry bar.
I'm thinking of building something like this for my pry bars.

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Griphoist pulls straight through, better ratio than a winch, works underwater and no reel for the cable to bind and self destruct on.

and

Feather and Wedge Low tech lightweight and will take down the largest rocks.

Between the two of them you've got every situation covered without explosives or motors.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That GripHoist is pretty cool!! A bit heavy though, as this is the weight of the device without cable, but would be wonderful to not have the length limitations.

...Skyhook? REALLY?? Can you elaborate on your idea any?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That GripHoist is pretty cool!! A bit heavy though, as this is the weight of the device without cable, but would be wonderful to not have the length limitations.

...Skyhook? REALLY?? Can you elaborate on your idea any?

Can you say HUEY.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope what ever you do, that is what you find is worth all the money, time, and hard work. Keep in touch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread