Moving large rocks and boulders underwater?

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in my years as a commercial diver, I have used most of the ones mentioned so far (except helicopters) to raise all kinds of objects up to and including barges and boats or pieces of them . different sites and scenarios dictate different equipment. obviously a crane is the easiest and quickest, other options including a gas driven reduction winch like rattled posted are very useful and effective but require accurate communication between operator and diver, pontoon bags wrapped around the object or flat pillow bags rigged on their side. also truck snow chains like okbasspro said and cable rock slings made into a four square design with an eyelet on each point to wrap around the odd shape of the object so it doesn't slip out. I personally like the snow chains as they handle more abuse and don't fray like the cable and you can attach two sets together (top and bottom to make it twice the height) with shackles , also when making the square web out of the cable, put pieces of garden hose over the areas exposed so if you touch it underwater, it wont shred you if its frayed. I also have used heavy duty come alongs to move bigger rocks and objects. they have a 2000lb straight pull or 4000lbs double blocked.

another tip when trying to move rocks underwater, place cobbles in front of the rock so it will ride up on them and slide easier. most important tip when moving heavy things, don't get under the fall zone of it

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the size of some of those rocks , there not much that will move them , but an excavator . First and formost , be carefull my friend . You could look into a Lewis chainsaw winch , they are farely light and will pull 8000 LBS .

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the size of some of those rocks , there not much that will move them , but an excavator . First and formost , be carefull my friend . You could look into a Lewis chainsaw winch , they are farely light and will pull 8000 LBS .
Nothing personal MH, but in a two sentence reply for the same rock, we have an excavator and a Lewis winch!!! WOW!! That is one weak excavator or there must be a new Lewis winch out these days. OP if you NEED a winch get the right one (like a Stapp) that will do 90% of the work and go around the ones you can't move

ratled

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
....And if in Oregon the State mandates that you replace all the cobbles and boulders back into their original location when you are done dredging....believe it or not!!!!!
So I got curious and found thees onnee on utubbe (excuse me I'm a bit dizzy after watching this one)

Last edited:

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I learned is don't get too confident. Boulders are WAYY easier to move underwater. But if they fall on you, or your fingers get pinched (has happened to me a lot) -you can definitely still feel the weight. I had a ton of close calls last year by myself in the middle of nowhere. Luckily I didn't get hurt and learned from my mistakes.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
three big jacks and you can roll that succker right over into mid stream, thing is getting these things unstuck from there resting place, but it can be done.

its better to try to roll these big guys rather than break them up, breakin just leaves dangerous shards.

i dont work in water but we move big stuff like this down here in the desert.

Have fun be carefull.

GT............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread