Multiple Arrowheads

Brian H.

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2022
My son and I found multiple arrowheads at an old Indian hunting camp near my parents cabin. It is in northeastern Arizona and supposedly the hunting site is about 800 years old. We also find tons of unpainted pottery there and an occasional painted piece. Can anyone give me any more info about these arrowheads? The big one looks like it may have been more of a spear point. In all my searching online, I've never seen a small arrowhead that has the three points at the base.

Attachments

• 1661215701022423753349533874689.jpg
    1661215701022423753349533874689.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
Upvote 12

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My son and I found multiple arrowheads at an old Indian hunting camp near my parents cabin. It is in northeastern Arizona and supposedly the hunting site is about 800 years old. We also find tons of unpainted pottery there and an occasional painted piece. Can anyone give me any more info about these arrowheads? The big one looks like it may have been more of a spear point. In all my searching online, I've never seen a small arrowhead that has the three points at the base.
The ones on the ends are very nice šŸ‘Œ, nice saves.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youā€™re a bit out of my area but Iā€™d say the big one was either a dart point, or a knife, the pieces between 8 and 12 look like debitage, and your point with the three deals Iā€™d describe as a barbed point with a small contracting stem. Another way to search would basal notched arrowheads but Iā€™m on the fence between calling it a basal notch or a stem, the serrations are interesting on it, maybe to really get the blood flowing for a faster kill?

OP
OP
B

Brian H.

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2022
Youā€™re a bit out of my area but Iā€™d say the big one was either a dart point, or a knife, the pieces between 8 and 12 look like debitage, and your point with the three deals Iā€™d describe as a barbed point with a small contracting stem. Another way to search would basal notched arrowheads but Iā€™m on the fence between calling it a basal notch or a stem, the serrations are interesting on it, maybe to really get the blood flowing for a faster kill?
Thanks! This is exactly why I posted on this forum. We are finding some cool stuff, but I don't know anything about it. The more I can learn about what we are finding, the better. I will search some of the terms you mentioned and see what I find. My dad's cousin is a big arrowhead collector and says that it could be a Columbia point with flint from Ohio. I did a search and found similar ones, but not anything exactly like this one. Here is another picture of it.
PXL_20220821_043227870.MP.jpg

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the first one is either a preform or an opportunistic, "quick & dirty" cutting tool/knife. It looks very thick from your picture and is not refined to the stage of being a projectile IMO.

The last one pictured I think is a Hodges Contracting Stem Hohokam arrow point (1500-1300 YBP) and part of the Snaketown cluster. When I first looked at it, I thought it was made of heat treated jasper. Now that I have stared at it for a while, I'm thinking it could be agate! I can't find any decent examples online but my hardcopy of Overstreet has some dead ringer pictures for yours. Here's a drawing of one...

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good lord you ID could have been that very point! talk about definitive!

OP
OP
B

Brian H.

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2022
Thanks! I definitely think you found the exact one. I wasn't sure what it was made out of. Most of the flakes around there are more of a brown and tan flint. I assumed this was some type of flint as well. Definitely could be agate.

OP
OP
B

Brian H.

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2022
I think the first one is either a preform or an opportunistic, "quick & dirty" cutting tool/knife. It looks very thick from your picture and is not refined to the stage of being a projectile IMO.

The last one pictured I think is a Hodges Contracting Stem Hohokam arrow point (1500-1300 YBP) and part of the Snaketown cluster. When I first looked at it, I thought it was made of heat treated jasper. Now that I have stared at it for a while, I'm thinking it could be agate! I can't find any decent examples online but my hardcopy of Overstreet has some dead ringer pictures for yours. Here's a drawing of one...

I thought the big one seemed pretty thick too and wondered why they didn't take the big chunk off on the thick side. Here are a few more pictures. Let me know if this helps you decide what kind of tool it was. I also attached a couple more photos of the smaller one. Most of the flakes and simple tools we find seem to be flint, but the better shaped arrowheads seem like the are made from something else. Maybe the better ones were made elsewhere and were traded? Thanks again for all the info!
PXL_20220823_223210119.jpg

PXL_20220823_223429851.MP.jpg
PXL_20220823_223232146.jpg
PXL_20220823_225421578.jpg
PXL_20220823_225542751.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220823_225542751.jpg
    PXL_20220823_225542751.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 21

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the big one stacked up on them, when they struck it to remove a flake it didnā€™t travel far enough, if that happens multiple times you get a stack, those become very difficult to get past, looks like it was on its way to being a dart or a knife but they never could get it thinned down

Also I find a similar pattern here in Kansas where the flake material and point material arenā€™t the same proportions, the way I see it the points were made of good stuff they could have traded for or just grabbed as they moved around seasonally so the flakes from making them are elsewhere, and the flakes (at least the ones I find) are more local material that is a little lesser quality used when the good stuff became in short supply

Last edited:

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OTB is correct. The stack couldn't be removed so it was probably used as is IMO. If they kept beating on it trying to remove that stack, they likely would have broken it and got no use out of it. Hard for me to believe that after that much effort was spent, such a nice piece (even with the stack) would be discarded when it could be used as is for many cutting and scraping tasks.

After looking at the last pics of that point, I'm inclined to believe that it's some type of heat treated chert -- maybe jasper (yes, jasper is a type of chert).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brian H.

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2022
Looks like the big one stacked up on them, when they struck it to remove a flake it didnā€™t travel far enough, if that happens multiple times you get a stack, those become very difficult to get past, looks like it was on its way to being a dart or a knife but they never could get it thinned down

Also I find a similar pattern here in Kansas where the flake material and point material arenā€™t the same proportions, the way I see it the points were made of good stuff they could have traded for or just grabbed as they moved around seasonally so the flakes from making them are elsewhere, and the flakes (at least the ones I find) are more local material that is a little lesser quality used when the good stuff became in short supply
Thanks again for the insight! Here are a few more interesting things we found the same day. The top 3 look like cutting tools. The bottom left is just a cool looking stone with stripes. I have no clue what it is. I am guessing it was imported because the woods around there don't have anything like it. The bottom right is a decent point, but the corner is broken. Any thoughts?
PXL_20220824_020501673.jpg

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again for the insight! Here are a few more interesting things we found the same day. The top 3 look like cutting tools. The bottom left is just a cool looking stone with stripes. I have no clue what it is. I am guessing it was imported because the woods around there don't have anything like it. The bottom right is a decent point, but the corner is broken. Any thoughts?
View attachment 2043017
The bottom right looks like a small blade , the rest looks like debitage.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd say the bottom right is a repurposed point. Notice the patina on it's left side is much lighter in color where it was repaired. Also looks like the remnants of a small stack in the lower center of it's face and at bottom left, there's a step fracture that left it pretty thin in that area. It also has a different surface texture there and as you pointed out, the bottom right looks to be snapped off. It may have broken while the maker was trying to remove that stack. I agree w/antmike that the top three pieces are debitage but I'm not sure about the layered piece. It may be a fragment of petrified wood--possibly from a conifer. The striated layers may indicate it's growth rings visible in a cross-section of the tree from which it came.

Last edited:

Laneybug

Greenie
Sep 7, 2022
I think the big one just didnā€™t quite get finished to itā€™s full potential it looks a little like a Nogales. The barbed one looks like maybe a Desert Stemmed or a Neff ??? The other two that have been worked all the way around are just crudely made small blades/knives.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread