What's new

Musings on Medieval Money

John Winter

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2014
Messages
527
Reaction score
381
Golden Thread
0
Location
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Contrary to what you may have heard, read, or believe, I’m not old enough to have been born in the Middle Ages. In my heyday as I zigzagged drunkenly across a field swinging the detector and finding some artefact or other, I often took a guess – as I am sure you do – how the item came to be resting there.

Musings on Medieval Money | John Winter
 
Hey John , Very interesting post - not being familiar with UK denominations (I'm USA) could you clarify what 1d or 6s means ? - I too have always been
fascinated by what these wonderful hammered silver coins could have purchased (how many shillings for a goat or a pig ? what would a loaf of bread and
a jug of ale cost in 1377 ? ) Thanks if you can help me out here !
 
One penny and six shillings.
 
Great article John. It seems a coin purse from the 1300's would be more rare than some coins from that period. By the way, watched the first 3 episodes of "The Detectorist". Looks like it is going to be good. I hope they continue with the series.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom