What's new

Musket Ball?

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Does it appear to be a musket ball or simply a slug of some sort? It was found in an area that has some history dating back to the mid 1700's.
 

Attachments

  • unknown2a.webp
    unknown2a.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 342
  • unknown2b.webp
    unknown2b.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 311
  • unknown2c.webp
    unknown2c.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 303
Slug I think. I've seen them with a hollow point that, by the way, doesn't add anything to the impact. It looks as if it tumbled in flight before it struck something. Could have been sand at an angle I guess. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Not sure about that being a Musket ball, The picture I have included is a Musket ball I found a few weeks back and it has the same indentation where the lead has shrunk after cooling in the mould. Other than that it is perfectly round. What bothers me On calling your find a Musket ball is the lack of oxidation on it. Unless of course you have cleaned it drastically from how you found it.

Cheers Sasnz
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1555.webp
    DSCN1555.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 0
Oxidation or lack thereof is characteristic of the soil more than the age of the projectile I have found. Some are pristine while most are indeed highly oxidized. So I think oxidation can sometimes fool you. But the flat rounded diameter was what drew my attention to it probably being a slug. But I dont think I can say so 100%. It's just my gut instinct along with a little experience. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom