What's new

Musket Ball?

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm pretty darn sure this is a musket ball, but I would like a confirmation. The diameter is 1/2".

It was found in an area in which a 1500 man military expedition came through Ohio in 1764. http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=485 I have spent many hours with my detector searching for evidence along the route of this expedition. Hopefully I'm on the right track and have this part of their route nailed down. While this may or may not be from that expedition it is still a very exciting find for me. If it is from this expedition then hopefully I will find more artifacts.

Also, the one side has a flat spot on it. Is this from where it hit something or from just being fired.

Thanks for looking.
-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • musket ball_a.webp
    musket ball_a.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 311
  • musket ball_b.webp
    musket ball_b.webp
    29 KB · Views: 504
Probably a musket ball. Nice find. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a round ball at 1/2" it's probably about a 50 caliber. The Kentucky and PA rifles from tha time were about .47 caliber so that would make it about right for that time period. Still hard to pin it down to an exact time though. the mark is probablyu the sprue mark where the excess lead was cut off. Usually a round ball will have more damage from being fired. the lead is so soft the even dropping them on the floor can leave a flattened area. I hope you get some more goodies from that site.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah, rifle ball probably, too small to be a musketball. Hard to tell when it is from, muzzleloading rifles were still in use even into the early 20dth century, then a resurgence with modern made ones. Yours appears to be an older one but how old is anyones guess!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input guys.
Hopefully I can dig another one before the snow starts flying.
-Swartzie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom