Must Haves to Go in a Gift Package

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter wants a metal detector for Christmas, and I'm 99% sure I have narrowed it down to the Fisher F2 with 2 coils. Besides that, what other items MUST be included in order to be ready to roll, straight out of the box, on Christmas Day?

Brand name suggestions would be fantastic, and cost is also a factor.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with the DD coil. It provideds better depth and less overlapping of coil swings. She will need a place to put her finds. a cheap nail apron is what I use, they cost a dollar or less. The apron has 2 pockets, one is used for trash and the other for treasure. She will also need a digging tool. I started with a $13 garden tool and a small 24 inch shovel from ACE Hardware for $18.00. You may want to purchase a pinpointer, The Garret Pro Pointer is a good buy at $110.00. I would also recommend a knee pad. I wear one on my right knee. There is nothing worse than kneeling down on the right knee to dig a plug and find that you are kneeling on a stone or another hard object. To hold my shovel I took some 8 gauge wire I found and formed it into a nice holder for the shovel that is slid down behind my belt in my pants over my left rear pocket. I have toyed with the idea of making a shovel holding hook out of an old wire coat hanger. I also recommend a pair of gloves that are plastic coated on the palm side. I bought a 3 pack at Walmart in the spring for under $4. To extend your battery life you should buy a pair of headphones.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pinpointer is optional. I did metal detect successfully for the 1st 5 months without one. If she enjoys the hobby, maybe around Easter you may need to invest in a rock tumbler so you can clean the clad coins easily so they can be dumped into your local coin star machine for cash or gift cards. You lose almost 10% if you opt for cash, but lose nothing if you take the total on a gift card.. I bought mine at Harbor freight for under $40. You will need some small gravel (aquarium gravel works fine) you will need no more than 2 cups of the gravel.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"must have" accessories should include a set of headphones (lightweight ones with plug adapter may be best for a child), a finds/trash pouch such as a nail apron, and a digging tool. Treasure Wise and Wilcox are two great digger brands that won't break the bank and won't break during use!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say a pinpointer, to help with recovery also a digging tool, whatever is best for your area of hunting, also help her to realize that there is a huge amount of trash that is found and not to get discouraged! Good Luck!

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your machine doesn't come with a rechargeable battery pack. a good supply of batteries is always handy to have around.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pinpointer is NOT optional. It's a must have. Nothing worse than spending endless minutes searching for small targets, when a quality pinpointer will locate target in seconds.
GL
Peace

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pinpointer is NOT optional. It's a must have. Nothing worse than spending endless minutes searching for small targets, when a quality pinpointer will locate target in seconds.
GL
Peace

AGREED!! Nothing more frustrating then trying to find a gold and diamond stud earring at 6 inches without one,

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some "pre-planted" loot! :laughing7: No sense in letting that new toy end up drawing dust. Inspire them right out of the box, sort to speak. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread