MX5 USERS A GOOD DETECTOR OR BAD DETECTOR ?

All i can say the MX5 must be a dud when the Garrett 250 and the Fisher F2 there were posts all over about them … The MX 5 almost nothing..

Well the 250 & F2 are entry level detectors and you can't go more than 24hrs w/o someone asking "What detectors should I get? Oh and I don't want to spend more than $200". Sooo...a lot of peeps have em!

The MX5 is what?…3x more and it doesn't offer anything unique, special or ground breaking in it's price range. What does the MX5 offer that other mfgs don't already offer at like prices? Nothing! The MX5 will really only appeal to people that feel they need to have a Whites. It's too close in price to the AT Pro to really be a viable seller in my never humble opinion!
8 bloody AA batteries on a mid level detector that has ZERO performance advantage…Really?

Well the 250 & F2 are entry level detectors and you can't go more than 24hrs w/o someone asking "What detectors should I get? Oh and I don't want to spend more than $200". Sooo...a lot of peeps have em!

The MX5 is what?…3x more and it doesn't offer anything unique, special or ground breaking in it's price range. What does the MX5 offer that other mfgs don't already offer at like prices? Nothing! The MX5 will really only appeal to people that feel they need to have a Whites. It's too close in price to the AT Pro to really be a viable seller in my never humble opinion!
8 bloody AA batteries on a mid level detector that has ZERO performance advantage…Really?
Very good you could be very very correct…:thumbsup: And that was my thoughts on it …..Also why pay the almost the same price for it when you can buy a AT Pro for about the same price ..

Last edited:
Opinions are just that, but how about some honesty. The MX5 retails for $599, the AT Pro for $799. What do you get for the $200 difference besides being waterproof to 10' ? Just wondering? The $200 could get you the excellent Pro Pointer and still have $60 left over.

Opinions are just that, but how about some honesty. The MX5 retails for $599, the AT Pro for $799. What do you get for the $200 difference besides being waterproof to 10' ? Just wondering? The $200 could get you the excellent Pro Pointer and still have $60 left over.

LOL! $800 for an ATP...Where you shopping? I'd be looking at a different vendor. They are only about $40-50 difference in price. So lets see what you get for an extra $40-50….Hmmmm lets start with headphones! Then some great iron res w/Iron Audio, add in some Tone Roll, oh yeah and it's waterproof to 10ft too. Like you mentioned.
Ooh ooh ooh…it doesn't have ground tracking but it can be GB'd unlike the MX5!

You want honesty…well there it is.

$800….would a roll eye emoticon be in bad taste? You are right about the opinions part though!

Now you see the Whites MX5 at different dealers sells for any were from $559.00 to $599.00 ….. The Garrett AT Pro sells at different dealers for any were from $549.00 to $599.00 … I know i just checked 5 different dealers web sites...

I was quoting the MSRP. What different dealers asking price is, is a different story. Maybe some dealers can't wait to get rid of some of their inventory. :dontknow:

fella, you are correct . Garrett web site shows the AT Pro at $699. I was quoting the MSRP from the big K****c*. Should have known better.

Last edited:
Kc still shows 699 msrp for the Pro. You looking at the Gold?

I do not see much about the MX5 not to many using it … Is there a lot of problems with it ? Or no problems with it ?

Check out this video from DirtFishing on youtube:
In the comments section he says-
"I had two of the MX5's and they both had that choppy erratic threshold like you said. They also had horrible audio on the lower conductors if you used any notches. I think that is how they operate. That is one of the reasons I got rid of mine plus the fact that the ID was not very good."

I was offered a new MX5 + $100 for my DFX. It sounded like a good deal at first but I decided to keep the DFX.

I wasn't impressed by the MX5 but then again, I didn't like my AT Pro either.

I thought I liked my MX5 'til I discovered the White's beep 'n digs. Please read my testimonial on the old White's Classic ID's in this forum. If I sound over excited, it's because I AM. My MX5 was sold to buy 2 of 'em.

I absolutely love my mx5, it has a very fast recovery, is accurate, and yes it is a little chatty but I don't find issue with that, I find deep targets, and I find lots of nickles, I can run it almost wide open with no problems,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back