Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find lots of mostly-broken arrowheads in farm fields when I was a kid. These days hardly anybody plows anymore, and I don't get out there as much as I used to. But I thought others might like seeing one that I found a few years back, completely by accident. We were out hiking and crossed a river. Coming out of the river on the other side, a tree had washed over, and I saw the end of this sticking out of the mud in the tree roots. It's in near perfect condition and still quite sharp. I believe it is a Dickson point, which would make it around 2,000 years old -- much older than the tree whose roots protected it for the last century or so.
IMG_1371.jpeg

Upvote 28
OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missouri, along the James River near Springfield.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to find lots of mostly-broken arrowheads in farm fields when I was a kid. These days hardly anybody plows anymore, and I don't get out there as much as I used to. But I thought others might like seeing one that I found a few years back, completely by accident. We were out hiking and crossed a river. Coming out of the river on the other side, a tree had washed over, and I saw the end of this sticking out of the mud in the tree roots. It's in near perfect condition and still quite sharp. I believe it is a Dickson point, which would make it around 2,000 years old -- much older than the tree whose roots protected it for the last century or so.
View attachment 2090172
A beautiful point!
A favored or even super special significanct to the maker............

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post some more Robert we like seeing points.
I'll have to see what I still have that I'm for sure I found. I have a few that I've bought (or my wife has bought for me), but the ones I had back in my youth have been lost to the years. I know I've got a decent big teardrop-shaped thing (axe? hoe? Not sure) that I found in the creek last summer, and maybe some others.

I keep meaning to take a shovel and go hit some of the places I went as a kid and just dig random holes a little deeper than plow depth and see if I can get lucky. 8-)

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few I had in easy reach. The teardrop I found in the creek last summer is about 8" long or so. It has been smoothed a bit from the creek, but otherwise looks a lot like one I found in the same area as a kid. (The one I found as a kid was actually wedged into the branches of a tree that had been cut for firewood. I guess the tree must have grown around it or something -- no way was the tree that old.)
IMG_1054.jpg

Then here is one found along the creek bank.
IMG_1051.jpg

And here is a little one that I found in a field not too far from the creek.

IMG_1052.jpg

I haven't really tried very hard to ID these.

I do recall the very first arrowhead we found when I was growing up, though. It was lying at the edge of the woods next to a game trail out into the field by the creek. We took it to a local guy who collected (and made) arrowheads, and he said it was a nice Clovis point. Unfortunately, being stupid kids, we carried it around in our pockets to show it off and it wound up going through the laundry -- where the dryer acted like a rock tumbler and rounded off all the edges, turning it into something like an ancient worry stone.

This is all making me want to get out and hunt some more. There just aren't enough hours in the day. :BangHead:

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The oval one could also be called a blank which is a easy to carry preform. It would be used however they needed at the time as in chipping it into a tool or point/knife. I’ve never found one but would like to. I’ve found preforms called blades. Nice collection you have there. I’m a avid creek hunter myself. Which state is your creek in?

OP
OP
robertk

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in southwest Missouri, near Springfield.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I’d call that a G-10!
I’ve surface hunted for many years now (decades actually). Some of my best PFs (highest quality, craftsmanship and condition) like the your high grade point there, were found a great distance from any of my favorite hot spots. Of course, I went back to hunt those areas hard and come up with ziltch.
Someone (Can’t remember who) on this forum put it, “A projectile point flung far-afield”.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread