my best find ever!!!

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008
;D Axe ? Celt? All I know is I hardly find much more than flint chips! On Friday, I had been searching all day, because about a week ago I found a couple of broken arrowheads. I started to give up looking for flint and instead started to dig out any thing that was banded slate or hardstone. After picking up about 700 gagillion rocks, I was about ready to give up -when I sat on the ground and saw a buried rock- with an interesting shape....

I got kind of excited, but then logic told me it was just another mis-shapen rock..... I ran my finger along the edges to wipe away some of the dirt, then saw how smooth the edge was, then as I ran my fingernail under the edge of the blade chills ran up my spine! I never photograph anything, but I pulled out my cell phone to take a picture:

DSC00470.jpg

I'm glad I did!!!

soo... at this point I remained skeptical, besides, who's to say it was not just another cleverly shaped rock trying to play tricks on me. But I dug it up, and when I saw what it was I literally fell backwards on the ground laughing, saying "thank you!!" because it represented so many countless hours of finding nothing!!! ;D
Then I ran to the creek and washed it off, I have never been so excited in my life, I think I had a borderline panic attack!! lol!

took these with my better camera:

SANY0326.jpg

SANY0331.jpg

SANY0328.jpg

bottom

SANY0330.jpg

its kind of rough all over, but gets real smooth toward the blade

SANY0329.jpg

SANY0270.jpg

alongside my other axe, I didnt find that one, it was passed down to me as a family hierloom, posted about it a few months back.
But they look nice together :)
SANY0279.jpg

i'm mostly a beginner at this, so I was completely blown away to find something so awesome!!!

most of these things come from the same field as the axe/celt.
some of the things pictured are pieces I believe to be broken arrowheads or scrapers.
this is pretty much all I've found, ever. (other than much much more flakes, chips, cores, etc. which I didnt photograph.)
(there could be a geofact or two in there, lol)

SANY0320.jpg

(these were found fairly close to the celt/axe)
SANY0287.jpg

I eagerly would love to know anything anyone can tell me about this celt/axe!

Thanks for looking!

cheers

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is sweet ! What a find. You did a good job on the pictures too. I know what,,, 700 gagillion rocks are also .lol. It looks like you are starting a great collection from that field. A celt and a groved axe. Congratulations to you Gnomey. Thanks for sharing. What state if I may ask ?

TnMountains

OP
OP
G

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008
Thanks for the reply, Tn! I am in southwest Ohio. Sorry if my post was confusing, I wasnt sure the difference between an axe or celt, I knew it was one or the other! So it's a celt, right? lol

As for the grooved axe-- I actually did NOT find that one myself, it was given to me after my grandma died, I was told my grandpa found it back in the 60's in Kentucky, I posted about it here before, here's the link if your interested... http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,215685.msg1557621.html#msg1557621

cheers!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people will call them celts or ungroved axes. My humble opinion is a celt.. But I have been wrong before. Congratulations again.,
TnMtns

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Good job there Gnomey !! Finding an axe or celt is on the top of my wish list . The closest I've ever come is a maul ,.. poss. poll end to an axe ,.. and my advatar,.. a celt type adze ,..all of which are nice finds ,. but just not an axe . But over the yr's I've had some fun ,.. look'n for my "axe" . Anyway seem's your on a good start with your collection .

Enjoy it !! Blindpig

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
nice find Gnomey,it appears to be an adena celt.they usually have a well polished bit and taper slightly to the poll end like yours.evidence of pecking on all other areas is usually remaining.nice piece you found congrats :thumbsup:

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Tn mountains,thats a nice piece you got there in your hands.great overall polish.is it flat on the opposite side from the photo?if so i think you have a very nice adena adze.if not then i think you have a tapered celt that is probably hopewell.very nice piece thanks for sharing.

Daveaohio

Greenie
Apr 21, 2009
Nice points, Thanks for posting some broken ones ;D I was beginning to think I was the only one collecting broken points. How many people out there collecting look for the other pieces? I've been noticing that if I look around with in a few feet of a broken point I often find the rest or part of it nearby.
Great Points I wish I could find some as nice as those I see posted here.
Good Hunting
Dave

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find.. a celt IMO. Look around more could be a cache around in the area !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread