kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Hello all,
I'm new but have been lurking & learning - enjoying all the posts of everyones finds. Didn't really have anything to throw on the pile until today. Went to my mom's house to cut the grass & wound up swinging for a bit. It was built in 1963 on a vacant lot in an older neighborhood. I dug 4 holes & got 2 newer pennies and 2 pieces of scrap. Was just about ready to call it a day when I thought I'd try one more area. I got a $.50 reading, but the yard is trashy and all other readings like it have been trash. Well, I got down on it without thinking ahead and 4 inches down was a shiny 1943 Walking Liberty Half. I say without thinking because I was careless with the digger and cut a nice scratch in the front of it, running from the edge where the "I" in "Liberty is all the way to the figure of Liberty. :(

It's a little aggravating that this coin stayed in the ground for so long without being harmed and then I came along & scratched it trying to bring it up. This is my best find so far, and when I display it, that scratch will keep reminding me to be more careful with my targets. I dug several more holes (more carefully) and got a 66 quarter & 6 pennies including these two wheats. Thanks for looking and for all your great posts!

Attachments

• Front1.jpg
    Front1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Back1.jpg
    Back1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,150
  • P1Front.jpg
    P1Front.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,150
Upvote 0
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Don't sweat the small stuff. I scratched a 1877 quarter. It was very close to the surface, and that made it difficult to pinpoint with my detector. You learned a great lesson, but still have a great coin!!!! Just be careful, and don't take anything for granted. Dig wide, and use your hands to dig with if you have to. It will pay off sooner or later when you get that half dollar signal again, only the next time it might be an older one, that isn't scratched!!!! HH M. :thumbsup:

OK Im gonna tell you like it "Really" is. You killed it. that poor walker, will walk no more. The only thing you can do with it now is send it to me. Yes SEND it to me.
Pm me for the address.
Joe
PS Nice looking coin.

Kimsdad,

Don't worry, She's just glad to be found. When you look at her in the coming years as you find her sisters she will remind you of how grateful she is to see the ligt of day. :wink:

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I think I have to give credit to DiamondJim's "Finger of Fate" for this find!

Nice find ! I know the sick feeling of hitting a nice coin too.The first year I was diggin I even tried to dig when the ground was frozen solid and I hammered a 1910 dime dead on with the Lesche.At the same site I saw a friend destroy a beautiful 1914 Canadian 50 cent , it was under a root and he put a huge slice right across it. I thought he was going to barf when he saw the damage ...HH...Panz

kimsdad said:
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I think I have to give credit to DiamondJim's "Finger of Fate" for this find!

I had to laugh to myself when you mentioned the " Finger of Fate", not making fun but for the fact that it has actually worked for me on more than one occasion! I think everyone should try it, the only catch is you have to believe....... 8)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back