What's new

My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

kimsdad

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
4,693
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Hello all,
I'm new but have been lurking & learning - enjoying all the posts of everyones finds. Didn't really have anything to throw on the pile until today. Went to my mom's house to cut the grass & wound up swinging for a bit. It was built in 1963 on a vacant lot in an older neighborhood. I dug 4 holes & got 2 newer pennies and 2 pieces of scrap. Was just about ready to call it a day when I thought I'd try one more area. I got a $.50 reading, but the yard is trashy and all other readings like it have been trash. Well, I got down on it without thinking ahead and 4 inches down was a shiny 1943 Walking Liberty Half. I say without thinking because I was careless with the digger and cut a nice scratch in the front of it, running from the edge where the "I" in "Liberty is all the way to the figure of Liberty. :(

It's a little aggravating that this coin stayed in the ground for so long without being harmed and then I came along & scratched it trying to bring it up. This is my best find so far, and when I display it, that scratch will keep reminding me to be more careful with my targets. I dug several more holes (more carefully) and got a 66 quarter & 6 pennies including these two wheats. Thanks for looking and for all your great posts!
 

Attachments

  • Front1.webp
    Front1.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Back1.webp
    Back1.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,167
  • P1Front.webp
    P1Front.webp
    21 KB · Views: 1,169
Upvote 0
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

dang shame but it happens to the best of us at one time or another. Great find!
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Congrats on your WL , my first was a ' 43 also . Too bad about the scratch , but we have all done it at one time or another . Just remember your lesson learned .


HH


Mac
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Nice finds ,like she sai it happens to us all
Dont give up. Jim.
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

It IS a beaut'! And don;t feel bad, I nicked my oldest silver COIN period - an 1894 HALF of all things... :tard: :tard: :tard:
 

Attachments

  • 1894half1.webp
    1894half1.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,131
  • 1894half2.webp
    1894half2.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 1894half1.webp
    1894half1.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 1894half2.webp
    1894half2.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,114
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Nice start and welcome :icon_sunny:
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

My 1787 Conn. Copper I knicked and wiped out the "1" in the date. It happens
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

You found the good stuff by not giving up... Way to og.

That is how wisdom is gained... by making mistakes... we have all done just what you did to the walking liberty half.

Next time it could be a 200 year old coin or a gold coin so one learns to dig like every coin might be gold... usually they aren't but you never know until after the coin is out of the hole.

Thanks for sharing

HH

Sanat
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

oh heck we all do dumb stuff, I ruined an old dutch coin ( copper) totally ruined it... so dont feel bad, sides yours is still super nice. :thumbsup:
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Like everyone says it happens, I'm sure if you dig enough it will happen again ::)
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Nice find,still looking for my first Walker.
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Cool :)

HH
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Thanks all!

It's good to know I'm not the only one who did this!
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Yep, it happens to everyone! On the bright side, after I found my first Walker (40 something), I ran home to check its value; there wasn't much. Better to learn the lesson on a lesser coin, though I am fond of Walkers as a species.
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Beautiful Liberty despite your scratching it. Welcome and keep digging!
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

beautiful coin WTG
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Congrats

My first silver was a 1942 WLH too...
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

You'll keep it always anyway, it's your first great find!! Show's your pinpointing is right on th money.

Next time dig around the signal and you'll recover with no problem ;D

Cool find !! Congrats

Dave
 
Re: My best find so far & a hard lesson learned

Awesome find on the Walking Liberty Half! Don't beat yourself up to much, anyone who has been detecting for any amount of time has a coin or two with "reminder" marks on them. It just happens, especially if the coin is tilted and it pinpoints off center. It's finds like that and this great forum that keep us going.

Steve
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom