What's new

My best find yet.....and my first confederate button!!!!!

GAdirtfishin

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
60
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was recently invited to a piece of property by a lady saying that she wanted someone to come metal detect around her property, she was curious if there was anything on it. She said several people had asked in the past however they never showed up to detect. She called me three times to make sure I would come and on my first visit I found the remnants of an old roadbed and concentrated my search around the road.

I knew that JB Hood had moved through this area on his way to Alabama after the Battle of Atlanta so there was potential. The first visit I found an eagle cuff button so my interest was peaked - second visit another eagle cuff and the back of an eagle cuff along with some carved lead and a NY cuff. I decided to go back on Monday of this week since the office was closed and began again looking around the old roadbed, I took about 5 steps and got a good signal - a two piece button with a perfect shank attached. I figured it would be another eagle button but I couldnt tell what it was so I brushed it a little - I saw a star and what I thought was crossed sabers or crossed cannons. The excitement was killing me so I came on home to look in my button book to see what I had. I immediatley thought Texas because of the star so that is where I started - turns out the button is an 1837 Republic of Texas Artillery button - from what I am told this is an extremely rare button.

This is my first confederate button - and so far the best find I have ever made. Check out the video to see the button straight out of the ground.
 

Attachments

  • TEXASBUTTON.webp
    TEXASBUTTON.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,912
  • NYCUFF.webp
    NYCUFF.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,867
  • CUFFBUTTONS.webp
    CUFFBUTTONS.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,859
Upvote 0
Really enjoyed the video. Great buttons. I love the Texas button. Thanks for sharing it with us.
HH.....
 
very very sweet buttons... very well made video as well :hello2: you have my banner vote on the texas button
 
thanks for the replies guys - I too love that Texas button. Thanks for the banner vote spiders!!!
 
Very awsome find. Sounds like you hit the mother lode area.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010
 
Great video GA dirtfishin'..You found some great buttons !! The Texas Artie button :o :o :o :o :o :o Congrats ,that is awesome :thumbsup:
 
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition
 
Wow! I just saw another button just like this on another post. Why did you post it twice? Congrats again.
Dman
Dman
Dman
 
Very nice button...Thanks for sharing your incredible find!!
 
Great TX button that is a find of a lifetime. :hello2:
 
Wow. Great buttons and very nice story
 
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.
 
vayank54 said:
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.

No matter what it's worth it should be on the banner ;D
 
thanks again guys for the kind remarks and for watching the video - I am still super excited with this find.
 
Man, thatsa nice button there. The video was well made to. I vote banner on the button. That is a gem.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom