What's new

My best find yet.....and my first confederate button!!!!!

GAdirtfishin

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
60
Golden Thread
0
Location
Summerville, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was recently invited to a piece of property by a lady saying that she wanted someone to come metal detect around her property, she was curious if there was anything on it. She said several people had asked in the past however they never showed up to detect. She called me three times to make sure I would come and on my first visit I found the remnants of an old roadbed and concentrated my search around the road.

I knew that JB Hood had moved through this area on his way to Alabama after the Battle of Atlanta so there was potential. The first visit I found an eagle cuff button so my interest was peaked - second visit another eagle cuff and the back of an eagle cuff along with some carved lead and a NY cuff. I decided to go back on Monday of this week since the office was closed and began again looking around the old roadbed, I took about 5 steps and got a good signal - a two piece button with a perfect shank attached. I figured it would be another eagle button but I couldnt tell what it was so I brushed it a little - I saw a star and what I thought was crossed sabers or crossed cannons. The excitement was killing me so I came on home to look in my button book to see what I had. I immediatley thought Texas because of the star so that is where I started - turns out the button is an 1837 Republic of Texas Artillery button - from what I am told this is an extremely rare button.

This is my first confederate button - and so far the best find I have ever made. Check out the video to see the button straight out of the ground.
 

Attachments

  • TEXASBUTTON.webp
    TEXASBUTTON.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,912
  • NYCUFF.webp
    NYCUFF.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 3,867
  • CUFFBUTTONS.webp
    CUFFBUTTONS.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,859
Upvote 0
That will be one of the top 5 buttons recovered and posted on this forum this year. :notworthy:

It belongs on the banner.


And I am hitting the "nominate" button right now. Congratulations!!! :hello2:
 
Congrats on making the banner! Nice button! :headbang:
 
Congrats on the banner, finnaly somthing I vote for makes it! Awesome...!
 
May you find the rest of the set, tomorrow..They are just a swing away.
 
vayank54 said:
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.

Same with coin investments still go up. Think about it, those with jobs can either get a couple of % in the bank or collect something they like which makes 20% a year!
 
Now there's a button! I only know CW era buttons so-so, but given the fact I have not seen another posted in 10 years of watching the forums it's gotta be rare!
 
vayank54 said:
plehbah said:
vayank54 said:
Wow that Texas Artillery buttons is nice. It books for $1,100+ in dug condition

Is that all?

Listen friends, now is the time to INVEST IN EXCAVATED SPECIMENS OF TEXAS ARTILLERY BUTTONS.

I would much rather have one of those than an ounce of gold from a long term investment perspective.

I'm afraid that's it. but it really depends on how bad someone wants it. I saw one button that books for about $8,000 go for over 10 and another that books for about 12,000 go for over 16. It can go the other way though. One thing I have seen over the years is even in bad recessions the price of the rarer relics doesn't go down.


That's because people who buy such items are not really concerned about a few grand if they want it. A 10k item selling for 8k or 12k is probably just as much about how the bidders day was going as anything else. The main concern is proctecting yourself with a moderate reserve and putting it where the right people will see.
 
Congrats on the great find and the Banner! :headbang:
Are going back to pound that road again? ;D
 
WOW!!! Congrats on a fantastic button recovery GA. :thumbsup:
A banner very well deserved. :occasion14:
Thanks for the great video,
MM
 
Thats a special find. Hope you find more buttons like it. :icon_thumright:
 
Love those N.W Ga pines. Nice hunt and congratulations on your banner find. Be sure to sure to let that nice lady know there are things in her yard :thumbsup:
TnMountains
 
A rare button will always get my blood pumping! What a great find! I am happy for you, congratulations.
I like the star and crossed cannon design. It's a beauty!
:thumbsup:
Dave.
 
gorgeous! wow! what a great video too! how ya like your mauler shovel?i love mine!
dave
 
:o AMAZING FINDS! :o


Just wow!!! :notworthy: Thanks for posting the video! Beautiful finds!!!!

Congrats and good luck on the return!

Nana
 
Sweet! :thumbsup: Breezie
 
WOW!!..I'm green with envy on that wonderful find...Being a 3rd Generation Native Texican if I found that I could die happy.
Looking at that button makes me want to shout those 3 words dear to all Texans.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!

Congratulations on the Button and the Banner, you will be hard pressed to beat that find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom