My Biggest Wheat Spill

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I took my new to me Fisher F5 out to the test garden to play with the gain-threshold settings. After four runs through the garden, I settled on the settings I have used for years(I have had three F5's) These settings give me the quietest and deepest performance. Gain 85 and threshold 0.

My house is built over where a trailer sat in the early 60's. I have scoured the yard with every detector I have owned in the last 5 years. In one place between the sidewalk and driveway(15x20 foot area) I have found over 100 coins with only one wheat penny. Today I tried a spot by my vegetable garden. I never found anything there, but I never really tried. Within a minute, I got that extremely faint "whine" that is a trademark of the F5. Sometimes it is deep rusty iron, but not today. From 8 inches a 1954 wheatie. I started slowly creeping the NEL Sharpshooter around the original dig and kept getting these faint whines. From a 2foot by 2 foot area, I found 12 wheats and 3 old memorials. The wheats were all from the 50's and the memorials from early 60's. This spill was probably a kids treasure that he or she buried.

I absolutely love the F5 as a coin shooter and probably have approaching 1000 hours on all of them I have owned. Deep coins WILL NOT be heard without decent headphones, but once you dig a couple, you will be hooked. The only other detector with similar characteristics is a proper CZ. The CZ is slightly different, more a a faint "tick". I don't find coins like I use to, but today's little party brought back a boat load of memories. I call metal detecting an "Easter Egg Hunt For Grown-ups.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds and that just confirms the old saying that, "No area is ever really cleaned out"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread